WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Online Auctions & Wholesale (https://www.wahm.com/forum/online-auctions-wholesale-69/)
-   -   Sites other than Ebay (https://www.wahm.com/forum/online-auctions-wholesale-69/621797-sites-other-than-ebay.html)

31DLORB 02-08-2012 03:14 AM

Sites other than Ebay

Hi have seen lots of posts about selling on Ebay, but does anyone use any other sites? Do you think they are better than Ebay?

Hannah

nbfbaw 02-08-2012 09:17 AM

I have used Bonanza.com.

ybnegood 02-08-2012 08:39 PM

Alternatives

Other sites have their advantages or disadvantages.

Do they actually attract buyers? What are their fees? If you have to pay to list, but nobody ever buys
then you can waste your time and money by listing there.

I tried Ebid - have paid fees several times to list, and have had no sales
I tried Blujay - no fees, and several sales - but is more difficult to use their site
I tried Bonanza - a couple of sales

Bottom line, I use Ebay for most of my listings, but I try to list only when listing is free promotions are
on. Otherwise with their fees and paypal fees, there is little or no profit to be made.

also, a good idea to check the completed sales info for like items so you can see what stuff is actually
selling for as an average so you can price your stuff accordingly

31DLORB 02-09-2012 03:09 AM

Thanks for the info!

johntpc 02-14-2012 07:46 PM

If what you are selling is "vintage" (old items, something like over 20 or 30+ years old, I'm not sure exactly) you can list your items on sites like Etsy, and a handful of other similar sites (Artfire, etc.).

Etsy draws a lot of customers, but they limit what you can sell to hand made goods, vintage items, and art & craft supplies. This in my opinion is the second best to Ebay.

Bonanza is okay, but I wouldn't focus on it as a sole source for selling goods. Their marketing doesn't seem to be as effective as eBay's. It is a nice site, it is set up very well, but it just doesn't have the volume of shoppers.

I haven't tried a lot of the other sites, but there is iOffer, eCrater, blujay, the list goes on. Most of them will not draw many sales, but some of them are free to list and it doesn't hurt to put stuff out there.

khakigirl 02-16-2012 08:35 AM

I use Yardsellr. It has a LOT of traffic, no fees, you can give bonuses/gifts to your buyers in the form of "Photon$". I've been on Yardsellr for about a month and have sold 42 items.

versativadiva 02-17-2012 09:18 AM

Ebay selling

I have been selling on ebay for 10 yrs.....no........12 something like that. I listed a couple things on Etsy and I was buried in no time......but then it is also that way on ebay depending on the category you are listing in.

I think to get "found" you should list daily for a while. that way you are showing up in the newly listed items AND the ending soonest.

I save, or try to , all my customers email addresses. I don't always email them but if I get quite a bit up I might. Always put in there that if they don't want to receive emails to reply with Remove in the title.

I just think most of the auction sites don't have the traffic ebay does. except Etsy but that isn't auction style, it is all buy it now. I think if I listed daily on Etsy eventually I would build a customer base.

If you don't do well at first, remember that you will eventually get a following of customers.

versativadiva 02-17-2012 09:19 AM

interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by khakigirl (Post 2918277)
I use Yardsellr. It has a LOT of traffic, no fees, you can give bonuses/gifts to your buyers in the form of "Photon$". I've been on Yardsellr for about a month and have sold 42 items.

that sounds interesting khakigirl! I will have to check that out.

mominternet 02-23-2012 04:34 PM

Other Sites Beside eBay

I must admit that the most successful selling site is eBay for me but I have sold on other sites...especially when I was breeding fish.

It is called Aquabid I had a lot of success here as it is a niche and found various aquarium related products to sell.

You may also look into iOffer or Bonanza

eBay is still the most successful of all but it does not hurt to give others a try...keep in mind when you join these other sites it takes time to break in and get the reputation you need for buyers to trust you...I think more buyers are confident with eBay that is why.

khakigirl 02-25-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msidgy1 (Post 2918834)
I have been selling on ebay for 10 yrs.....no........12 something like that. I listed a couple things on Etsy and I was buried in no time......but then it is also that way on ebay depending on the category you are listing in.

I think to get "found" you should list daily for a while. that way you are showing up in the newly listed items AND the ending soonest.

I save, or try to , all my customers email addresses. I don't always email them but if I get quite a bit up I might. Always put in there that if they don't want to receive emails to reply with Remove in the title.

I just think most of the auction sites don't have the traffic ebay does. except Etsy but that isn't auction style, it is all buy it now. I think if I listed daily on Etsy eventually I would build a customer base.

If you don't do well at first, remember that you will eventually get a following of customers.

I just gave Etsy a whirl and I was not impressed. You pretty much have to bring in your OWN traffic, write your titles/descriptions according to unwritten Etsy SEO rules, have amazing and perfect pictures, have a FULL shop at all times AND have the exact item the buyer is looking for. It's exhausting. I listed 10 items and have had a total of 26 views in the past week (12 came from Etsy Sver and Etsy Coupon Codes).

I found an Etsy "team" that does critiques and after reading through past ones, I've determined that there's no way that Etsy would work for me. I'm never going to have a shop with hundreds of handmade (or even vintage) items. I'm also not going to spend hours taking pictures and writing descriptions just to wait days, weeks or even months to make a sale.