Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by experience View Post
Hi alisha,

Those who resell by dropshipping on eBay must have a multitude of sales to at least break even, because of the dreadful low profit margins that dropshipping provides.

The result is that they do a huge amount of work for little or no profit. The pity of it is that they have been fooled into thinking that dropshipping is the only way to start a business with a small investment.

I have received emails from many people who ask questions such as how can anyone make money dropshipping on eBay when there are so many sellers there advertising at prices lower than what I have been quoted wholesale?

The answer is - you can't. This is why I teach a better alternative in the form of sourcing small quantities direct from the manufacturer at factory prices. I also teach how to do the importing the simple and easy way without any need to learn all the rules. You can buy small quantities and the profit margins will amaze you.

Just think - Is it better to sell 100 items a day with a profit of $2 per item or 10 items per day with a profit of of $20 per item? This can be done with a very small investment. I know of people who have started off with just $300 or so. They have re-invested their profits,, buying bigger quantities.

By the way, eBay is not the only place to sell. Some of my readers sell at flea markets, or shopping mall stalls.
HI Experience,

I am only new and don't have much cash for stock so I would be nervous about spending it all on one order. What if it goes pear shaped? What if i can't' sell what I need to sell?

I like the idea of as much profit on 10 sales as you can get on 100 sales but if I have to put all my money into one big order (big for me LOL) I need to know if there is that much profit.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogene View Post
HI Experience,

I am only new and don't have much cash for stock so I would be nervous about spending it all on one order. What if it goes pear shaped? What if i can't' sell what I need to sell?

I like the idea of as much profit on 10 sales as you can get on 100 sales but if I have to put all my money into one big order (big for me LOL) I need to know if there is that much profit.
Hi imogene,

I understand your concerns. Any new venture involves risk so you do need to be cautious.

Firstly let me say that if you have never had quotes from overseas manufacturers you could not imagine the huge profit margins that you can get by buying direct. Most small retailers on eBay are working on profit margins of around 20%. Some in posts online boast of 30%, but they are greatly outnumbered by those who bemoan the fact that they struggle to make any profit at all after selling costs.

The main reason for low profits is that they follow the crowd and buy the same products from dropship suppliers.

If I was thinking of selling on eBay I would be worried just as you are if I could only buy stock from wholesalers or dropshippers.

You should always remember that profits begin with buying, and you need to buy at the right price. How do you know how much is the most you should pay for the products you want to sell? Here is what you need to do:
1. Know your market. The products must be ones you can sell. Do your research.
2. Know how much the products are likely to sell for.
3. Know how much your selling costs will be. I refer to eBay and PayPal fees, postage etc. This gives you the net figure after your selling costs.
4. Let us assume you are satisfied that the product will sell readily for $100. After selling costs you would have about $80.
5. Decide how much profit you want to make on a $100 sale. Let us assume $60. (I am being conservative. I would not even consider less than that.)
6. This means you must buy for no more than $20 including shipping to you as well as duty and sales tax if the shipment value exceeds the Customs duty free threshold.
7. Get quotes from suppliers, including door to door freight.
8. If prices quoted result in a total landed cost (see 6) no more than $20 you should be safe to place your first order after going through the careful process of locating genuine manufacturers, email discussion with them about their products, and obtaining samples.

If you cannot buy your preferred product at such a price, you should look for a different product to sell, but first you need to be sure that you are getting the best possible price. There are simple ways to do this, but definitely do not try haggling.

Having bought at a price that gives you a very high profit margin, you are then able to compete, even if established sellers try to undercut prices to keep you out of the market. You will be able to discount by as much as 50% and still make a profit. If you cannot liquidate your stock by selling at a 50% discount there is something seriously wrong with your market research.

Such margins are easily obtainable. For 22 years until I retired I ran an importing business which I franchised in 4 countries. If my franchisees could not make a 60% profit margin as the barest minimum they would have walked away from their franchise and probably would have sued me. They often made a lot more than that.

I always recommend obtaining a sample, and once satisfied about the quality, then placing a commercial order but if you have limited funds it is a good idea to place an order for a trial quantity so that you can test the market.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Registered WAHM

I was thinking about joining sunrise or adora, is it a good ideal. I broke and may have a little to spear . Do i need a website it work for these companys and are they legit . I need to find some fast
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly05 View Post
I was thinking about joining sunrise or adora, is it a good ideal. I broke and may have a little to spear . Do i need a website it work for these companys and are they legit . I need to find some fast
Hi Kelly,

I don't know either sunrise or adora. Are they dropship suppliers?

Dropship businesses that provide turnkey websites with products already set up for you are almost invariably middlemen and rarely provide any real income for you.

Never pay to get a job online and never pay to buy lists.

Without more information this is all the help I can give.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Super WAHM

We do not charge any fees for drop shipping for ebay, amazon or web sales.
We also have a generic product catalog to allow people to sell through
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD1 View Post
We do not charge any fees for drop shipping for ebay, amazon or web sales.
We also have a generic product catalog to allow people to sell through
Even if you do this, though, are you negotiable? I mean, if someone came up to you and said: "I've done my research, and for the following products, I need THIS price in order to be competitive in the market" would you accommodate that pricing?

Or, do you have a MAP price or do you lure people in with an MSRP?

Nothing has ever sold on eBay for an MSRP, ever. Never happened once, nor will it happen ever again .

It's sad when people get suckered into websites claiming that people can 'sell and item for 100 dollars' and the wholesaler will only charge them '60 dollars' and they'll make '40 dollars' but there are a lot of issues with this model.

One, the item won't sell for that.

Two, there are more deductions to take into consideration,

And three, you have other retailers getting the item for cheaper.

The MAP prices aren't enforced, and even if they are, they shouldn't be - sellers don't choose the price of items - MARKETS do.

So, if you SAY an item will sell for 100 dollars, but the MARKET only deems that item worth 30 dollars, NO one makes money.

-Auction Debt Eliminator -
Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
WAHM Regular

You should try looking at Salehoo and WorldWideBrands, they do some of the heavy lifting for you on wholesalers and dropshippers. You can find vendors and products.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
WAHM Regular

The problem with going to someone like that - and trusting what 'THEY' say, and trusting THEIR research, is that it always tends to be bad.

In fact, with worldwidebrands especially, they charge you upwards of 299 dollars for 'legitimate suppliers' that 'will make you a profit'.

The problem is, if you were to trust their research, and sell their items on, say, eBay - you'll quickly see that the items will be on eBay in perpetuity without any action whatsoever.

The secret to selling on eBay is actually KNOWING the market worth of those items BEFORE you list them, knowing the format that will yield that price, and then knowing the DEDUCTIONS to take (all of them) to see if you even yield a profit.

Taking 'someone else's word for it' as far as research, or, 'heavy lifting' is concerned is a very, very dangerous business practice. You should absolutely know for yourself before you pull the trigger on anything.

Plus, you should know HOW to do it yourself as well - those are techniques I've been teaching for years.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered WAHM

hundred percent wholesale does not have a startup fee. Fragrance X and Apparel Candy are also free. Apparel Candy sells things in lot sizes and not individual items and all their fragrances are imitation. I've sold quite a few of these and I even saw these same imitations in a store in the mall so people do buy them. AC sells 3 for $9.99 (fragrances). They also sell clothes and cosmetics. So many dropshippers aren't great. I have used all 3 of these to sell on eBay and none of them have raised a complaint from me or customers so they do a good job. Born Pretty Store is in China. I currently use them. If you are willing to sell products to US customers and make them wait for their products to ship from overseas this is a really good company. I've had no problems with them either. Just be sure "Ships from China" is in the item description so customers know before they buy. They are free as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM
WAHM Regular

There are ways of drop shipping without using untrusting suppliers.