Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Super WAHM

Default Why I prefer Importing instead of Dropshipping

When I look at online sales venues such as ebay and see the same item in many listings, it is obvious that a lot of people are buying from the same dropshipper sources, and this means that margins have to be cut to the bone otherwise buyers will click “Buy Now” on the next listing of the same product if it is a dollar cheaper.

I know that problems of late delivery or sudden out of stock notices have hurt the reputation of quite a few resellers and that is a risk I would not take. I also don’t like the idea of suppliers building a big mailing list using my customers’ details.

This is why I chose 22 years ago to buy direct from manufacturers and handle the importing myself. I did have a big advantage in that I had worked for a shipping business straight out of college, and I knew the easy way to import.

I like the big profit margins that direct importing allow even when I import very small quantities. In this very competitive economy those big margins have helped me stay in business and live comfortably. I would be happy to give members further information but am only a new member so cannot advertise direct. Maybe a PM?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 AM
WAHM Regular

i do agree. i import and work directly with the manufacturer on customised products, oem and such.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Exclamation

by the way, my export markets and distributors are in malaysia, singapore, thailand and indonesia. so what products do you import? interested to cross market products together? Eg. i sell your products in my markets and you sell mine in yours.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 AM
WAHM Regular

forgot to mention, we do import/export of consumer electronics, pcs, laptops, tablets, Alternative and Free energy Products.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Super WAHM

Thanks for the offer but I have been forced by heart problems to retire from my importing business.

I now live a much quieter life writing and helping new entrepreneurs establish importing businesses. Some of them have bought my e-book on how to import small or large quantities direct from the factory.

In the past I have sourced products from many different countries. It is important to keep up with manufacturing trends because best sources do change from country to country.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Question

Importing? Do they charge fee's like drop shippers do? Can you get small quanities to start?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Super WAHM

Default No Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalexander View Post
Importing? Do they charge fee's like drop shippers do? Can you get small quanities to start?
I am pleased to say that you can forget about fees if you start importing direct. And, yes, you can buy quite small quantities. I know people who only ever place small orders. I imported for 22 years before my forced retirement and it was rare for me to place an order that cost more than $1,000.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by experience View Post
I am pleased to say that you can forget about fees if you start importing direct. And, yes, you can buy quite small quantities. I know people who only ever place small orders. I imported for 22 years before my forced retirement and it was rare for me to place an order that cost more than $1,000.
Thankyou so much,I will look into it. :-)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default importing....

I couldn't agree with you more.

The other advantage to importing over drop-shipping is I have control over the quality of the goods sent to my customers. If I order thru a drop-shipper, they can change their suppliers and send a good product out one month and a bad product out the next.

If the item is in my possession, I can verify it's quality before I ship it.....

Does pose a problem around Christmas-time though as things get pretty backed up thru the postal service and customs.... some orders took me 50 days to receive.. so planning in advance is a must.
I usually stagger my orders so I have a constant supply coming in

I also find it mind-boggling that someone shipping from China, pays less to ship to California
than I pay thru the usps to ship the same item from Illinois....

Anyone that sells stuff should look into importing goods for themselves...

martin
Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybnegood View Post
I couldn't agree with you more.

The other advantage to importing over drop-shipping is I have control over the quality of the goods sent to my customers. If I order thru a drop-shipper, they can change their suppliers and send a good product out one month and a bad product out the next.

If the item is in my possession, I can verify it's quality before I ship it.....

Does pose a problem around Christmas-time though as things get pretty backed up thru the postal service and customs.... some orders took me 50 days to receive.. so planning in advance is a must.
I usually stagger my orders so I have a constant supply coming in

I also find it mind-boggling that someone shipping from China, pays less to ship to California
than I pay thru the usps to ship the same item from Illinois....

Anyone that sells stuff should look into importing goods for themselves...

martin
Thanks for your comments Martin. Reliability of supply and quality control are big factors over which people who use dropshippers have no control.

Advance planning is of critical importance, not only around Christmas time, but also near Chinese New Year. Once you get used to it that is no problem.

I deduce from your comment about the Postal Service delays that you must be placing small orders. That is so easy to do, yet I often find people afraid to investigate direct importing because they think they have to place big orders. They have been successfully brainwashed by wholesalers and dropshippers who want to put them off the idea of doing the importing themselves.