Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Let's all be open and honest for a bit...

Has anyone else out there seen some shady stuff? Not just with one business in particular, but through the whole network marketing field. I hate this because this is what gives NM such a bad rap.

I've seen stuff like signing people up by giving them limited information, or trying to sign someone who can barely afford the enrollment fees....

I feel like if everyone was more open about what working at home and running your own business means, everyone would see more success. Then you wouldn't have people out there who feel like they've been scammed or that they were trapped in a pyramid scheme.

You can make a great income with almost any network marketing business, but it does take a lot of hard work. I think we should just let people know what they're getting into up front...

anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I think there are a number of people who are less than entirely honest.

But it means that those of us who ARE honest will stand out even more.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 AM
WAHM Regular

Scams and ponzi schemes are actually the fastest and one of the biggest industries going around the Internet. In fact, scams are bigger than any other IM niche ever, from what I recall.

I've been through that old loophole where I kept buying product launch after product launch, that promised the magic key to success, buying off gurus that make more money selling the method rather than applying the method they actually teach. All a result of my impatience and thinking that there was some magic solution or some push-button software that did everything and all the work.

I've experienced opting into hundreds to thousands of lead capture pages which took me to a long sales video, that sold info products for about $37-$47 bucks and then upsold me to $197 products, to $397 worth of stuff that DOESNT WORK or used to work in the past which is outdated today.

And then when you ask for a refund? They suddenly disappear, dont reply to your queries, support system doesnt get back to you and what do you know, you're more broke than you ever were.

This was about last year. Definitely a learning experience. Now I have the alarm bells and scam-detection (I call it 'experience') that can tell what is a shady opportunity or not.

Offline however, I've also been exposed to some 'less-than-honest' marketers.
I cant remember how many times random people told me about a biz-opp and then I asked "Is it MLM? Is it network marketing?" and they respond no, but then they take me to an MLM biz-opp and dude, seriously wtf.

In fact, some network marketing companies or rather, the teams in there actually TEACH you NOT to say that it's Amway or it's network marketing until you get them to the presentation.

How the heck can you build a business like that?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehitz View Post
Has anyone else out there seen some shady stuff? Not just with one business in particular, but through the whole network marketing field. I hate this because this is what gives NM such a bad rap.

I've seen stuff like signing people up by giving them limited information, or trying to sign someone who can barely afford the enrollment fees....

I feel like if everyone was more open about what working at home and running your own business means, everyone would see more success. Then you wouldn't have people out there who feel like they've been scammed or that they were trapped in a pyramid scheme.

You can make a great income with almost any network marketing business, but it does take a lot of hard work. I think we should just let people know what they're getting into up front...

anyone else?

I have seen this myself and it is sad. A lot of people don't realize that Network Marketing is a great way to take charge of your own future! I actually love my job and my boss! Lol. Being in General Management for years I hated not being able to be home with my family. Now I can arrange my schedule around my family and have a wonderful career and family life! Everyone is in a "pyramid" if that is what they like to call it, employee, manager, CEO! They just don't realize it!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Theresa Wilkins

I really haven't, but I know they are out there. I think this is where it really shows that building relationships first and building your business second is the way to go. For one, I personally don't get into business with someone unless I trust them and so when we are talking about online relationships, that means someone I've come to know. And so certainly I know that in order for anyone to consider coming into my business - that person I meet online has to get to know me and trust me also. It just makes sense.

It's really about educating yourself about the network marketing industry as a whole and sometimes that can mean making mistakes - sometimes by joining a business, sometimes just because it wasn't the right business for you. I've done both! :-)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM
WAHM Addict

It is a shame that there are so many dishonest people and scams, because they make the industry look bad.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I advertise on Traffic Exchanges so am exposed to all kinds of crazy claims. Unfortunately, I've seen less than scrupulous people advertising the same program as I do, making what I know to be unrealistic claims. We are told not to do this, we are told not to make untrue promises, but some people do what they want regardless.

The funny thing is that they are going about things in such a hard way. I've found to explain the program & how it works is simply a time tested good way to build my referrals. I've recently started documenting my journey & get lots of positive feedback from people who are tired of hearing claims that can't be backed up. Those who make outrageous claims are the same ones here asking how to get more referrals.......

..... especially claims made lately by the free GPT sites & bidding sites are really getting out of hand of the TE's.

here's to home business owners with ethics.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
WAHM Regular

It's really great to hear that so many other people are out there working as honestly as they can. In the long run, I think operating a network marketing business by these shady practices is what leads to the downfall of the parent company. It might take you longer to reach the financial goals you want, but it will be a much more secure form of income.

I think if we help educate our downline (and upline) on how to really give people tools for success, we'd all be more profitable. Instead of just signing a recruit and letting them struggle and eventually quit. While you may be able to make more money in the short term signing as many people as you can, you'd be better off hiring and really training them so they know what they're getting into.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Full-time Mompreneur

Just like anything else...there are shady people everywhere.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Registered WAHM

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Any business takes effort to make it work.