Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Can you succeed at Network Marketing exclusively online?

I was so excited about the possibility of being a Rodan and Fields consultant because I like skin care products and I think I would be passionate about selling them. I often get complimented on my skin, and I was thinking it would be great if I were selling skin care, because then I could immediately direct people to what I'm selling. I was thinking I could create a Facebook page (or just use my personal page), use the website they provide, put up pictures of myself and my progress with the products, maybe do Youtube, etc..But when I talked to one of the top consultants on the phone, he said the first step would be to create a list of all the people I know, and then he and I would call the Top 10. My stomach turned. I don't want to be "that guy" hounding my friends and family about "a business opportunity". I had been thinking I would post often on my Facebook page, and if people were interested, they would contact me. And of course, if friends/family see I am having success, they may inquire and of course, I would be glad to tell them all about it. But starting out with friends and family and people I know seriously turns me off.

I am ready to invest the time it takes to succeed. But can you build this kind of business mainly online? When I say "online" of course I know I will have to talk on the phone with people. I have no problem with that. I've done inbound sales at a call center before and I have absolutely no problem with that. I think I can be persuasive if the person has at least shown some interest and if I'm passionate about what I'm selling. I've looked into a lot of the network marketing opportunities and R+F seems like the best fit for me because of the products. I'm not sure where to start. I don't want to invest in this knowing I have to recruit friends and family. And also, I would not say I'm the "most connected" person anyway, but I am looking to change that.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hi, RyanA,

I hear you, loud and clear! When I came to Apriori Beauty, I challenged myself to build my business without ever having to market to my friends or family. Social media and online is a great option for you, and yes, you can be successful doing it this way. I know two consultants, who are building their businesses only online.

You need to find out your company's policy about marketing online, as I know some will not allow you to post your website address in social media, and may have other restrictions.

I have a blog, facebook fan page and personal account, am on linkedin and in groups, and also on twitter. I have picked up clients from all of them. You have a much broader reach online, without geographic boundaries.

Many of the local connections I've made online, have turned into real life friends and sources of mutual promotion and referral. If your focus is building relationships first and foremost, then social media and other avenues are tools to help you build relationships more than just through family and friends.

Hope this helps you - feel free to PM me if you have more questions!

Best wishes,
XO Candy
Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 PM
WAHM Regular

Candy, Thank you so much for responding. It's good to know there is at least the possibility of doing this mostly online. I just need to really be ambitious, which I am ready to do, and figure out the next step.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
WAHM Addict

I kind of look at it like this. If you find a good deal at Wal-Mart or where ever would you have a problem mentioning it to family and friends? So why not your products. Just let them know saying no, won't be taken personally.

Next many companies say you can pass your business on to a family member per your Estate Plan. Now wouldn't it be much easier when deciding who would benefit from the business if you know who did and didn't support you when building your business?

As for friends if your company has trips per contest some will let you take a guest along. The nonsupporting friends may not get an invite if a spouse or other family member can't go.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
WAHM Regular

I have no problem "mentioning" it to them. That's why I thought it would be great to post about it a lot on FB, since most of my friends and family would see that, and they could buy products or join if they wanted, no pressure. What I have a problem with is, trying to set up a call or meeting with them to let them know about a business opportunity. I was just hoping there was a way to generate all of the business online, especially at first.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Awesome WAHM

Can you build a network online or a business? Of course. But, they might not retain as long compare to someone you recruit offline! With the internet age and social media, everything is possible. But, network marketing is about building relationship and for me, offline relationship still is the best prospect. It might be different for you or anybody but people who are on the internet all the time are most likely to jump from company to company. For me, going to a church group, community meeting, PTA meeting, and build relationship from there is the best prospect.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
I have no problem "mentioning" it to them. That's why I thought it would be great to post about it a lot on FB, since most of my friends and family would see that, and they could buy products or join if they wanted, no pressure. What I have a problem with is, trying to set up a call or meeting with them to let them know about a business opportunity. I was just hoping there was a way to generate all of the business online, especially at first.
It's good that you are already on FB. Use it as a "soft" way to peak your friends and family's interest about R&F. Check out a couple of other message boards, particularly those geared toward healthy & beauty to find out problems people are having with their skin. If R&F can address those issues, you can carve out a nice little niche for yourself. Even though forum marketing can be a little slow to get going, it definitely works. Kudos to doing your research before jumping in head first.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
WAHM Regular

I myself firmly believe that it is possible as well! I started my skin care career this last week and continue to discover new platforms online. Maybe we can inbox each other and offer suggestions Of course, I don't expect this to be easy but hopefully I will start generating leads from my online efforts soon.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how long it usually takes before you see results? I would like to be able to measure myself to determine if I am going to correct route

Again, if you are interested in sharing suggestions, just inbox me

Everyone have a great day and a safe 4th of July celebration!

Nicole
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have both a local and online team. You can build online, however what I have learned is your local teams can often be the strongest in sales and recruiting.

With that said, if you can find a true leader from the web...one who will show up for work, focus and commit to the business, it can equally be worth the investment. The issue seems to be people do not realize how much self discipline it takes to work at home. There are so many things to distract us from what we set out to do or our reason for launching a home business.

I would still encourage you to do both...online and local.

Just my experience and thought I would share. Hope your business is fantastic!

Last edited by wahmse; 07-06-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you all so much for the input.