Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Super WAHM

Default splash page experts

Anyone here an expert on splash pages?
I set one up for my business, and I admit it's a bit dual-purpose - I use it in a traffic exchange co-op AND I'm getting it nicely ranked for the keyword.
But it doesn't "pull". conversion right now is a nice, round Zero Percent.
Anyone really good at these and willing to take a look and give constructive criticism?
JP
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

The usability of a splash page is completely flawed. Your readers come to your site to enter it and a splash page prevents that.

Many readers don't like splash pages - and in some studies 25% of visitors left a site right after seeing a splash page.

Splash pages break search engines. Since many splash pages only include a flash animation there isn't a lot for a search engine to optimize on. And if you add content to the page in comments you can be penalized for spamdexing.

The animation can be repetitive. Readers who have seen the flash don't often want to sit through it again, but if you forget to include a "skip" option they will have to.

While the flash movie or fancy animation may look really nice, the impression they make may be one of pretentiousness rather than detailing your skills.

If you submit your splash page to a search engine, the JavaScript codes that move customers to the next page may prevent the search engine from adding any page on the site.

blessings...
Douglas Adams
Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree compelete that a splash page of any kind sucks. Now a LANDING page is different, but don't expect to get my contact info unless I want to talk to you after you tell me what you have to offer. All requests for info should be clearly optional, or just don't bother at that point. When I get linked to a splash page and get hit with a video right away, you have about five seconds before I hit the BACK button.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM
WAHM Addict

The only time and place I use splash pages are in traffic exchanges or posting on an ad board. The purpose of the splash page is to peak curiosity within a matter of seconds. This is accomplished when a splash page consists of text and graphics.

If you have incorporated a video into a splash page that you promote on TEs, create your ad at the top half of the page and then place your video at the bottom. Also, make sure it does not auto start. If you ad has done it's job, they will click the video for more info.

If you have a video with no text, by the time the video loads, the timer has count down to zero and the visitor has clicked to view the next site. Also, most people surf 6 or more sites at the same time and because many of the sites in rotation include audio, people are going to mute their speakers to prevent the chaos of several videos playing simultaneously. Basically, your video will never get heard.

Post the link so we can help you tweek it. If you are getting good ranking from your keywords, then much of the hard work is done.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Super WAHM

I didn't want to post the link in the body of the post, because I didn't know if I'd tick off the admins by doing so.... and I don't yet have the right to have a .sig....
the page is:
Gas Half Priced
I'm trying to modify it with my picture and a 'get more information' box, but the website desires has run smack into my website design ability!

(if there's any problem with the link above, please admins let me know and I'll edit it out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
The only time and place I use splash pages are in traffic exchanges or posting on an ad board. The purpose of the splash page is to peak curiosity within a matter of seconds. This is accomplished when a splash page consists of text and graphics.

If you have incorporated a video into a splash page that you promote on TEs, create your ad at the top half of the page and then place your video at the bottom. Also, make sure it does not auto start. If you ad has done it's job, they will click the video for more info.

If you have a video with no text, by the time the video loads, the timer has count down to zero and the visitor has clicked to view the next site. Also, most people surf 6 or more sites at the same time and because many of the sites in rotation include audio, people are going to mute their speakers to prevent the chaos of several videos playing simultaneously. Basically, your video will never get heard.

Post the link so we can help you tweek it. If you are getting good ranking from your keywords, then much of the hard work is done.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrpatrick View Post
I set one up for my business, and I admit it's a bit dual-purpose - I use it in a traffic exchange co-op AND I'm getting it nicely ranked for the keyword.
Anyone really good at these and willing to take a look and give constructive criticism?
JP
Hi Jon, lead capture pages are better for traffic exchanges. Chances are, when someone first
comes to your site, they will not buy or join what you are promoting, and follow up messages
via an auto responder can help you stay in touch with those who come to your site and
fill in their info. Not everyone will, but you'll have a much better chance of getting buyers out
of the ones that do.

If you're looking to get ranked well for the keywords related to your business, I'd suggest a
wordpress blog on your own server, and fill it with information about your business.

If that is not something you're up to doing right now, there are other options too, including
having someone do it for you.

Kim
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrpatrick View Post
JP
Hi Jon, lead capture pages are better for traffic exchanges. Chances are, when someone first
comes to your site, they will not buy or join what you are promoting, and follow up messages
via an auto responder can help you stay in touch with those who come to your site and give
you their info. Not everyone will, but you'll have a much better chance of getting buyers out
of the ones that do.

If you're looking to get ranked well for the keywords related to your business, I'd suggest a
wordpress blog on your own server, and fill it with information about your business.

If that is not something you're up to doing right now, there are other options too, including
having someone do it for you.

Kim
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
WAHM Addict

I think the reason why you are not making any sales is because you are advertising to the wrong people. Traffic exchangers do not like to spend money so you either have to offer them something that is free or pretty much pay them to join. Your opp cost anywhere from $200 - $600 so your best bet is to get it in front of people who are willing to pay. TE's are mainly interested in how they can make money, not spend it.

I suggest you target people who want to save money. A good audience is people who clip coupons, fill out offers so they can get free stuff, etc. There's actually a Save Money board right here on wahm that you can take a look at to see what they do to save money.

Also, your 30 sec video is sending mixed signals. The text talks about rebates and 1/2 priced savings but the video is about the business opp. I think its better to focus on one stream per ad instead of promoting both of them together. Your ad is very brief and just as you peak curiosity about how to cut their gas prices in half, it immediately goes into how to make money doing it. Keep them hooked on the savings.

I think you should remove the Corporate page link. Your visitors have not received nearly enough info to join on the spot. Also remove the opportunity link. If you focus your efforts on enrolling people who want to save money, you will build a network of people you can promote the opportunity to later on. It will be a much easier sale because they are already using the product.

If you want to promote the opportunity, I suggest you create a new ad, blog, single webpage, etc that only focus on the opportunity, and advertise somewhere else other than TE's. Write articles, learn PPC, social network, post on message boards with your siggy line attached, are a few ideas to get you started.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Lead Capture Pages

a splash page is likea lead capture page, as far as I know. I think they have a prupose for generating leads, but if you want people to learn about your pgroam, it is a round about way of doing it. As has beennoted in the replies here, some people find splach pages objectionable.

As for search engine content, some splash pages have text beneath the fold to add search engine fodder.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks,
I've updated it with all the comments you guys didn't make!
A picture (I hate being photo'd) and a form people can get more info.
since I'm struggling with learning some html at the same time, it's been a slow and laborous process (and it seems I still can't spell!)
Primarily, I want the site to be clean and informatitive for people who come through organic searches, but 'catchy' enough to grab people's attention on the little Traffic Exchange work I do (VERY little).
One major thing I got from your comments is that I definitely did not see the 'mixed message' I'm sending. I need to clean that up with a new video.
Thank you all so much for your time commenting.
-JP