Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Default New marketer and frustrated....

So I am looking for some feedback and maybe what I am going through is normal. I sure hope so...
I am so excited about this new venture my hubby and I are on and really believe this could be amazing. However when I tell people about it (people I know) they shut me right down or they just ignore my emails. Some even ask me to call them because they are interested I do and then they never call me back. I am not saying much (learned that lesson pretty quick - less is best). A really good friend who I hadn't seen in along time came over - was excited to hear about it - made her a wonderful dinner and she seemed very interested, sent two emails after - no response.
I told my hubby I can't do this with people I know anymore, I feel like I am going to get labeled and lose friendships in this process.
I am only going to do this cold market...
I believe the truth is and please tell me if I am on the right track. This model of business is for people who are really looking for a business opportunity. I am not 100% on that but that is what i am starting to feel.
Anyway been really weighing what I have gotten myself into - and hope you guys have some stories of your beginnings that can help me out.
Thanks for listening....
Maureen
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM
WAHM Addict

I know how you feel, Network Marketing can be tough.

I have found it depends on the business opportunity or products and what is required of people. Also it depends on your support system, who signed you up and are they helping you to be the best you can be? A poor support system/team/leaders can make it or break it for some people.

Just remember one thing, it is O.K. if someone says no. Just move on to the next person and don't let it get you down! You can't take those things personally! Like Dori said in Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming"

Also you have to really believe in the company you are promoting, you have to have that honest, genuine excitement about what you are doing! People can tell when you do, they can hear it in your voice!

I wish you the best of luck and hope things turn around for you soon!

Happy Holidays!

Christine
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi Maureen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I told my hubby I can't do this with people I know anymore, I feel like I am going to get labeled and lose friendships in this process.
I don't blame you. If your "warm market" aren't already looking for a business opportunity, there's no point in offering it to them. That would just be trying to persuade them. You can sponsor some people by persuading them but it's a waste of time because they won't still be there a year later building your business for you.

Quote:
I am only going to do this cold market...
People use the words "warm" and "cold" the wrong way round.

Your so-called "warm market" are "warm" only because they know you and like you and will talk to you and will return your call and will look at your business opportunity "because it's you who's asking" (which is a dreadful, useless, reason to look, for all concerned - especially you).

Your so-called "cold market" should include people who are already looking for a business opportunity and want to hear about one. You can't get much "warmer" than that when you have a business opportunity to tell them about.

Quote:
I believe the truth is and please tell me if I am on the right track. This model of business is for people who are really looking for a business opportunity. I am not 100% on that but that is what i am starting to feel.
ALL MLM opportunities are for people who are already looking for a business opportunity. This is really, really fundamental. Don't listen to anyone telling you different: they're not successfully earning a good living.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Yuliya's post is 100%

Hang in there, Don't let uninterested people be dream stealers .
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
WAHM Addict

Agreed, Yulias post was awesome!

Happy Holidays!

Christine
Old 12-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think the biggest problem with network marketing is that the professional network marketers are the trainers. And most of them have lost touch with the real world.

Let's say you went through the "friends avoiding you" thing in your first two companies. So your third company you just said "Wanted to let you know what I am doing", rather than anything more aggressive. Maybe your 4th and 5th too. THEN you hit big.

Now all your friends know about how well you did, and are a bit jealous. They are also much more receptive to the message. Now they want to ride along. So your professional upline in your company or the people setting the records have had the failures and then at least one prior success. That got all their friends the sense of urgency they needed to "get in quick". So of course when they are asked how they did it, they relate what works ONCE YOU HAVE HAD A BIG SUCCESS. That is what they know and what they train you to do. But it doesn't work until you have established the credibility by having a sucess first.

I see it over and over in every company.

Go see a dentist and try to convince him to join your company. No good. But if you can say "I signed up this other dentist and he is making both of us $20k a month only 8 months later." Different response. Success breeds success, but it does NOT help the newbies. Once you are making $100k a year, thd second 100K is a no-brainer. Listen to any miracle success story and ask them about the years of failures they had before that. You will see I am right.

In the meantime, let your friends know what you are doing but do not offer it to them. Ask their advice, but do not recruit them. If you get 3 out of 10 people who attend a meeting, ask them to go with you to be one of the 7 who don't sign up. (Thank you Jim Rohn for that one). They will come along in their own time.

Cold market is the way to go. Even Jesus was "just the carpenter" in his own town.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and give me amazing advice. I really appreciate it so much.
So many of things you are all saying is so true and I just need to keep perservering (hope I spelled that correctly).
Just so you know I have never done anything like this before, this is my first one. So I am truly a beginner. I check this thread all the time and read as much as I can about this. I read "My first year in Network Marketing' like it was my job. That was such an inspiring book.
So once again thank you and much success to you all.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Registered WAHM

Don't get frustrated. It will let you down and give up. Network marketing needs a lot of time and effort to grow. Usually you can't get all your friends in your network but if you focus on people who really likes your niche/network they will join. I suggest do a little more research on your audience.

Last edited by trevorcole57; 12-09-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 AM
WAHM Regular

Smile

I have learned so much from my thread. I am so happy I reached out and just asked the question.
The support in this business is unbelievable.
Thank you and I will take your advice.
Have a great day!!
Maureen
Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Awesome WAHM

I went through a similar experience when I first started, ofcourse it helped that a lot of family has done avon, marykay, amway,ect in the past so they couldn't really say much.lol.

One thing I learned early on with the first company I joined was whenever my upline says go to my "Warm Market" I now have learned that means contact the people I have met online and already have an interest in working from home. When just starting out obviously you would not have this list together yet so the easiest way to start it is visit forums like this one, get to know other people and make genuine friendships then just keep in touch. From time to time they will let you know of their business ventures and you will share yours and figure out if there are any matches. Your Warm Market is mearly friends that you have met throughout the industry.

Cold Market is such an ugly term. It is really just about making friendships. I personally have always found the phone to be the best tool to use, it is much more personal than anything you can do online. I just put it in my mind that I am talking to my best friend and try to make the conversation about what is going to be the best match for them. Even if it is not a match always stay in touch, I have met so many wonderful people from talking to them on the phone. Some Join, Some don't but I have made some really great friendships even with the people that have never joined anything. Always make a Friend first and you will have a lot of FUN!