Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Any tips for an MLM newbie?

Internet marketing is my thing and I have never been involved in an MLM program until just recently. My brother invited me to participate in a program that helps people get into a top rated direct sales company. It costs quite a bit to join the company directly so the program I joined is a stepping-stone program where I get pushed up to the top until I have the membership feed to join the direct sales company. The cost to get in was only $100, I only have to recruit two people, and I make money as I'm being pushed up. Once I'm in the direct sales company, I can purchase things at discounted prices.

I've been hesitant in the past to get involved with MLM programs but this one sounded interesting and it was only $100 to get in. I figure I have nothing to lose really and it's worth it to give it a try.

I'm wondering if anyone had any good tips for an newbie.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Re: Any tips for an MLM newbie?

Hello Kris74. MLM/Network Marketing is the BEST BUSINESS/BUSINESS MODEL in the world...It really is! But don't get me wrong Kris, it can be very frustrating at times.

Tips for Newbies- I'll keep it simple. STUDY, TAKE ACTION AND DON'T QUIT!

Believe in yourself. Use online and offline marketing to get leads and connect with people. Use your company's product or service, and be able to explain it to people. Find at least one good mentor in your company and listen to them. Don't let negativity and negative people get you down! Get good on the telephone. Get good at following up with people. DON'T QUIT!

Hope this helps.

To Your Success,
Brad Marcus
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I found it very helpful to read some good books on the business of network marketing - something like "Your First Year in Network Marketing" by Mark Yarnell or "Beach Money" by Jordan Adler. Also, I really love Eric Worre's Network Marketing Pro | Free Eric Worre MLM Training website - with daily videos. Great motivation to get you started on the right track each day. (Go back and watch the archived videos for some great training!)

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Dawn
Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris74 View Post
It costs quite a bit to join the company directly
That's a slight surprise, because of the US laws about the maximum joining-fees permitted, to join direct sales companies. The absolute maximum allowed by law is $500 (and less in many states), but the vast majority are considerably lower.

Quote:
The cost to get in was only $100, I only have to recruit two people, and I make money as I'm being pushed up. Once I'm in the direct sales company, I can purchase things at discounted prices.
If you'll excuse the observation, Kris, I'm pretty sure I know which company this is, and I think it's possible you may be a little confused about exactly how the deal you've been offered works. As you've explained it here, that wouldn't actually quite be legal. (I'm not suggesting that what you've been offered is illegal - simply that you may slightly have misunderstood it?).

Quote:
I've been hesitant in the past to get involved with MLM programs but this one sounded interesting and it was only $100 to get in.
As a joining fee for an MLM company, $100 is very much on the high side, actually. I think you're confusing "joining fees" and "product/service purchases".

Wishing you well with it!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

Most of my advice is usually about how to pick a company or which ones to stay away from, based on their "deals". SInce you are past that, Here are a couple of generic advice tidbits:

Use Three way calls.
FInd a SUCCESSFUL mentor and follow him/her like a shadow
Never say too much.

Find the Jim Rohn CD "Building Your Network Marketing Business" and listen to it.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuliya Mironova View Post
That's a slight surprise, because of the US laws about the maximum joining-fees permitted, to join direct sales companies. The absolute maximum allowed by law is $500 (and less in many states), but the vast majority are considerably lower.
The lifetime membership costs over $2000

Quote:
If you'll excuse the observation, Kris, I'm pretty sure I know which company this is, and I think it's possible you may be a little confused about exactly how the deal you've been offered works. As you've explained it here, that wouldn't actually quite be legal. (I'm not suggesting that what you've been offered is illegal - simply that you may slightly have misunderstood it?).
Not sure what you mean by this. I've got a good understanding of what's involved.

Thanks for the good wishes and thank you everyone else for your input!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
The lifetime membership costs over $2000
If we're talking about Team National, there's no joining cost, per se, though. You can sign up just to market their membership package. They don't charge any fee to join as a Independent Marketing director (IMD).

That $2,000+ is a voluntary purchase, not a joining-fee. (A $2,000 joining-fee wouldn't be legal for an MLM, in the US, of course).

I'm "just saying".
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am thinking that politicians must get their start in network marketing. It's not a purchase, it's a voluntary contribution. It's not mandatory, you are just dead to us if you don't pay it. We like that you join, but if you give us extra money we like you even more. WTF ???
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
It's not mandatory, you are just dead to us if you don't pay it. We like that you join, but if you give us extra money we like you even more. WTF ???
LOL ... I suspect this is a pretty accurate summary, actually ...
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
It's not a purchase, it's a voluntary contribution. It's not mandatory, you are just dead to us if you don't pay it. We like that you join, but if you give us extra money we like you even more. WTF ???
Yogi, the flip-side of that is this:

Why on earth should I be more committed to someone's business than they are to their own?

If someone isn't serious enough about their business to even purchase the product they're marketing.....do you actually expect that person should receive all the same attention and time investment as someone who actually IS committed to their business?

Here's Jim Rohn's take on the issue: "Learn to work with people who DESERVE it, not those who NEED it. You've got to be like Life itself: Life responds to DESERVE....not to NEED. The people who receive a harvest are those who DESERVE a harvest. How do they deserve it? By sowing, planting, watering, and weeding. The people who stand around saying "I sure do need a crop" don't get one....because they didn't do what was required to deserve one.

Network marketing is a business. Not a soup kitchen. It's not a charity. It's not a campfire sing-a-long where everyone gets to hold hands, sing Kumbaya.

It's a business. And the people who treat their business seriously will find that they have no trouble at all getting the support of the leaders in their community. People who aren't willing to do that will still get all the support they need from their company's training calls, team calls, etc. But it's silly for them to expect to get the same treatment as someone who's actually committed to their business.

Tony