Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Working for KGB

I'm male so I hope anyone doesn't mind me posting here. I have only worked for KGB for about 2 weeks but here are my observations so far.

#1 The people using this service are mostly teenagers. So many questions about video games, super hereos, rap music, penis size etc. Also questions about obvious homework problems are common. I'm not saying this is positive or negative but that is who the customer base seems to be.

#2 Another big customer base are sports fans, esp on the weekends. I think this is a weakness of the kgb service as a lot of the agents happen to be females who aren't big sports fan, I myself am a huge sports fan and love getting the sports questions, but I've seen most of the sports questions in the database and the previously answered questions and most of them are not very good.

#3 The pay isn't great during the busiest times that I've worked around 11 at night during the World Series/Monday Night Football I was able to make about $3 per hour, this was doing a responsible job of looking up answer, plus the 'easy' ones where you just grab a question from the database. I find it highly unlikely that someone can honestly make $1000 a month unless they were more than one person in the house using the account and the supposed rules about workign 75 hours a week? don't exist.
Most of the time I make around $2 an hour but I mostly work during the day.

#4 There are too many fellow agents who won't seriously search 'hard' questions. As they say don't return things to the que, but what happens to the harder questions someone puts in the comments 'don't know' or 'can't find' and sends them on to someone else. The 'honest' agents get penalized by waiting and waiting for people in chat to help with the harder questions, many times only to have to send a 'no charge' because its basically very localized information or not available on the web.

Oh another thing I wanted to add which so many people are worried about 'scheduling' at this time it seems like you can pretty much come and go as you please. This may change at anytime but right now all the schedule blocks are always pink as far as I've ever seen. Anytime it is pink you can either just schedule a block or just click 'start taking texts' and be able to work. Being worried about not being able to make a 'schedule' shouldn't be a concern..for now.

Ok these are my observations after 2 weeks, feel free to discuss if you like.

Last edited by aguy92; 11-06-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes, most of our customers are teenagers and college students.

Poor answers in the database are not always because of women. The people that have poor answers are mostly "gamers" and send out whatever answers they want so they can wrack up as much money as quick as possible.

The pay will not be great. 1) the company is in the red because it is still a new company. It is very possible for people to make $1000 a month because they are either QAs or gamers.

Most of the people that RTQ (return to que) are new agents. The older agents tend not to do that because we were properly trained (shadowing... ect). And while people are waiting in chat for help, they are supposed to continue looking for the answer by using different key words. If no answer is found, many OPs will tell you to find alternate information to send instead of No charge because all no charges cost the company money.

No you do not have to schedule. But in order to move up in the company you must.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 PM
WAHM Regular

'Alternate' answers are something I'm still trying to wrap my head around and possibly improve on.

BUT would you be a satisfied customer if you sent a very detailed question about something only to get back a very vague extremely generalized answer about the same topic?

So whats a good example of an 'alternate answer' that gives the customer their moneys worth?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 PM
WAHM Regular

One example is one I had about a week ago.

Customer asked: "what is xxxxxxx (some celeb) shoe size.?"

Most the time you can find this answer but no answer was listed for her. So I asked OP and they told me to send back something about what the average shoe size for women was. I sent back to customer "XXXXXX does not state what her shoe size is but the average size is xx. Her favorite shoes are made by xxxx designer." That isnt word for word but it's close.

Most detailed questions have answers (unless searched wrong) and if I can't find an answer for them, I usually get OP's permission to send No charge instead of giving alt info (if alt info found is not good enough)

Last edited by madhattris; 11-06-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Yes I agree, most questions you get asked, the answer can be found. There are usually only one or maybe two questions per hour that are even a question as to getting help in chat about what to do.

There are just some things that you just have to be standing right there to really know the answer...those are the hardest ones for me. Like people asking 'what does the banner flying on the plane in my city say'? there are a few questions that you just can't find on google.

I know the night that Chase Utley tied Reggie Jackson's home run record that people were asking about that repeatedly and getting the wrong answer, it was a bit of a disaster. Some 'hot topics' change at a moments notice and the wrong answers go out.

I don't know what I think about the long term viability of kgb. I know as a customer it doesn't apeal to me personally, but I do like helping people out and feel good when I answer the questions right.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 AM
WAHM Regular

The major problem going on right now is that alot of newer agents just are not taking the time to train and rush everything to get money. They are trying to weed these people out but it's just takes alot of time. Whenever you see a bad answer, just make sure you pants it so no one else can use that answer.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhattris View Post
Yes, most of our customers are teenagers and college students.

Poor answers in the database are not always because of women. The people that have poor answers are mostly "gamers" and send out whatever answers they want so they can wrack up as much money as quick as possible.

The pay will not be great. 1) the company is in the red because it is still a new company. It is very possible for people to make $1000 a month because they are either QAs or gamers.

Most of the people that RTQ (return to que) are new agents. The older agents tend not to do that because we were properly trained (shadowing... ect). And while people are waiting in chat for help, they are supposed to continue looking for the answer by using different key words. If no answer is found, many OPs will tell you to find alternate information to send instead of No charge because all no charges cost the company money.

No you do not have to schedule. But in order to move up in the company you must.
QA's do not make $1000/month. Our reviews are limited. Please do not pass on misinformation.

From 542542 Agent Positions
Compensation is “per piece” and is based on approval or review type:
  • $0.10 (USD) for each real-time shadowing approval that requires changes*
  • $0.05 (USD) for each real-time shadowing approval that is validated without changes*
  • $0.05 (USD) for each shadowing review (batch sizes will vary)*
  • $0.05 (USD) for each standard review (20 per batch = $1.00 per batch)**
  • $0.03 (USD) for each simulator review (15 per batch = $0.45 per batch)
* These are no longer available with the new kgb_ platform
** batch size has been cut to 10. Reviews generated after 200 text answers. On average if QA is available when batches are generated they get 6 reviews.

I can agree with the rest. Better training/testing is in the works which hopefully will end this.

Last edited by wahinmyjammies; 11-09-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahinmyjammies View Post
QA's do not make $1000/month. Our reviews are limited. Please do not pass on misinformation.

From 542542 Agent Positions
Compensation is “per piece” and is based on approval or review type:
Last months top earner was a QA, which is what I was referring to. So technically QAs can make $1000/month just like agents can. No misinformation.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Making $1000 is definitely the exception to the rule...assuming that you could make $5 an hour as the best kgb agent ever this is still about 200 hours a month and $5 an hour is answering 50! questions with original research every hour about 1 for every 1 minute and 20 seconds. Obviously doing alot of reviews could boost your numbers.

The weekends seem severly understaffed, but its a good oppurtunity to make more money than usual for anyone interested.

Also I've noticed quesions where the asker identifies themselves as 12 or 13? Isn't KGB's policy that you have to be over 18 to use the service? I've answered their questions but should we 'request help' on any questions from people under 18? If this is the case half the questions may be against the rules?

Ok edit I guess you don't 'have to be 18' but I assume you would need 'parents permission' according to this from KGB's website, I guess some sort of prepaid plans would be the exception.

Quote:
1.1 You acknowledge that you are responsible for use of the telephone which is registered in your name and accept all responsibility for any use of the Services from that telephone. Do not use any telephone to access the Services without the bill-payer’s permission.

Last edited by aguy92; 11-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
WAHM Regular

Honestly, I don't know about that one. I'm fairly certain the policy is you have to be 18 or older to use but cant remember.

Tags
kgb