Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Looking for non-phone work, can anyone help?

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm at the end of my rope. For the past couple of years, I've been working remotely due to my issues with anxiety. I currently have two "regular" phone jobs--one teaching "ESL" and one doing internet tech support for a virtual call center. I work 20 hours per week at the former and 30-35 hours per week (depending on how busy they are) at the latter.

To put it bluntly, these jobs are hell for me. The pay is very low, which is why I have to work more than one job, and the working conditions are borderline abusive (in my opinion). Even if I didn't have overwhelming social anxiety, these jobs would be horrible.

The schedule is also physically brutal--due to the time difference, I have to start the ESL lessons at 5:30 in the morning. It isn't really ESL, either. Basically, my "students" are being forced to take "telephone English" classes by their employers after their normal work day, and it's painfully obvious that they don't want to do them. I can't get them to study their textbooks, so the lessons basically consist of me prattling on for whatever length of time they're allotted while barely awake.

The internet tech support job is a whole other tortuous ball of wax. They shift my schedule around constantly and keep cutting everyone's hours so that the people who are left never have a moment to breathe between hair-pulling calls. The calls come constantly, like punches to the gut. The training was completely insufficient, and it feels like I've been thrown to the wolves most of the time.

The straw that broke the camel's back (and prompted me to join and ask for help) is the fact that I was rejected for a *good* job the other day. It was a position as a remote web content editor. I met all the requirements, I just couldn't hit it off with the interviewer, some twenty-something tech guy who didn't seem to have any idea what the job market for people who have to work remotely is like. He could hear my desperation, and I think it put him off. I was envisioning how much *healthier* my life would have been had I gotten the job--a normal sleep schedule, decent enough pay that I could work only one job, and (best of all) I wouldn't have had to deal with people all day long.

In between the two regular jobs, I take on freelance writing and editing projects that always come with the promise of steady work down the road, but I have yet to see that pan out. It seems like the only legitimate full-time jobs that I can find are similar to what I have now, and I feel very hopeless about my future. The prospect of having to do phone work all day, every day, for the rest of my life honestly makes me contemplate suicide sometimes. With my social anxiety, this is probably the last type of work I should be doing, yet I can't find anything else that will pay my bills.

I don't know if anyone here can help, but I need to find a full-time non-phone remote job. I have two degrees. It shouldn't be this hard. I would really appreciate any job leads or advice anyone could give me.

Last edited by MGM614; 12-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Grand WAHM

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time with the job situation. One area you may want to check out is writing. It can often be project/completion based as opposed to working specific hours. Freelancing sites like Upwork might be worth checking out too.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Bookkeeping Professional

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about that.

I feel your pain and couldn't find a job so I created one and now own a virtual bookkeeping and tax company. I just sent a proposal yesterday for a construction company to catch up their bookkeeping and taxes for 13K. Would you like to learn how to be the CEO of your own company and stop working for peanuts?

Click the links in my signature to learn more if you are interested in knowing more.

Tags
customer service, mental health, non-phone jobs, phone jobs, social anxiety