Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Unhappy hi, hope somebody can help me

Hi everybody. I'm a speech pathologist with 26 years of experience. Last summer my mother's mental status took a nose dive and I had to quit working to stay home and care for her. Since then I've been hustling for anything I can find online, because I can't leave her at home for more than a few minutes to run to the store now; but it's hard for me to even fill out applications or take tests because when I say she is a 24/7 job I mean it. I'm lucky to get more than 4 or 5 hours sleep most nights. I have virtually no help (a relative may come by for an hour or two once a month so I can run lengthier errands) and since I'm not working I obviously can't afford a sitter. (When I was working, I couldn't afford a sitter anyway)

I say all this not to fish for sympathy but just so y'all know where I am coming from. Does anyone know of anything at all that I could work in around caring for mom, that would make enough money to pay the bills? Right now I'm living on my small savings, mom's social security, and the rent from my parents' old house.

I've read about affiliate marketing, but I can't think of any niche I know enough about to write about that would tie in with any kind of merchandise so I could sell ads let alone draw readers. Copywriting sounds great but I really can't justify spending money on training (the free classes in stuff that I've signed up for have gone undone because of the demands of mom. Actually I hope this post makes some sense since I have to jump up every minute or two, literally to do something for her or try to calm her down)

tl;dr---help?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 04:16 PM
Grand WAHM

Sorry to hear about your situation with your mom. That sounds really tough.

To try and help with your questions, more generalized writing might be a consideration. There is a really good writing section on this forum.

Freelancing might be a consideration too. Sites like Upwork list freelance type positions, including a writing section.

As for affiliate marketing or making money online in other ways, finding a niche can be tough. I tried several different things when I started about a decade ago and fell into the free money making niche. I've been with it ever since. Since you've been a speech pathologist, maybe there is a way to tie that experience into a niche and find ways to monetize it?

Sites live Fiverr contain shorter tasks that people can complete for money. While things like this probably won't pay all the bills, it can bring in a little extra.

Google AdSense is another way to monetize a site or a blog.

Be sure to check out the telecommuting section on this forum too.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
WAHM Regular

Nice to meet you!

Sounds like you have your hands full for sure, but that's the great thing about working from home with a flexible job. I'm in the same boat with two kids, one of whom is special needs, and I quit my preschool teaching job last year to stay home and work full time to help him.

Seems like you have an interest in writing? That's what I do, too. I write mainly for other people's blogs and online magazines. I got a really good start using Upwork, and since then I've found other clients through referrals who pay more and provide better projects.

I suggest checking out FreelanceWriting.com and signing up for the Morning Coffee Newsletter, which has freelance writing jobs delivered to your inbox for free. I also get the Write Jobs Plus newsletter, which requires a "donation", but it's a really small fee - $30 for 12 months, $10 for 3 months, if I remember right. They have great jobs to apply to.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Registered WAHM

thanks! I didn't know about Freelancewriting.com, but I will check it out. I'm signed up on Upwork but haven't gotten more than a few nibbles yet. I am waiting to hear back from several part time gigs and if 2 or 3 of them come through I will be less worried.

(crosses all appendages)

I'm going to explore the forum more so I'll check out the areas you and danasurvey mentioned too!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Super WAHM

Hello and Welcome to Wahm,
Sorry to hear about your situation with your mom.
I know you can find something that can help you here.

Hope this will help
Kisione
Old 02-28-2017, 10:08 AM
WAHM Master

Welcome to WAHM I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right now. I work from home for a company that has been in business since 1985. They are a stable company . I work with many people who support themselves with this income. My website is in my signature if you would like more information. I am a wife and mom of three from Oregon. It has been a huge blessing for us.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:24 AM
Awesome WAHM

Welcome to the forum here. There are a lot of gals on here that I am sure can identify with you. I have done a variety of things online from affiliate marketing to direct sales ( mlm) kind of stuff.

On the affiliate marketing stuff, you can pretty much make money in ANY niche that you are passionate about. It NEEDS to be something you are passionate about and can easily write about from all different angles. Robin with Pajama Affiliates talks a lot about that...

Often the money is quicker with direct sales. Like with my gift card business, the checks are dependent on whether or not I get cards handed out and expose folks to the concept and business opportunity... with affiliate marketing it can take awhile to see the money as there is a learning curve on how to write articles that can get found on the internet..

Both can be very lucrative. And then you can always go thrift saling for items to sell on Ebay.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Grand WAHM

Thumbs up

Hello and welcome to WAHM. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I pray that you are able to find something that will help you stay home and take care of our mom. I know how hard that can be. Take care. Good luck to you.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Good morning dixiehellcat! Wow you have a lot on your plate. Though you are such a blessing. Caring for a parent isn't easy. My husband and I were there 5 years ago with his dad. So your not alone.

Good luck with your new job leads. Please come back and tell us how your doing.
Have a fantastic Friday !
Sherry E. / Mix In A Pinch
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you will find your way around to manage.

Utilizing the YouTube and Amazon affiliate links are an easy option if you have hard time 'writing' about a niche.