Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
WAHM Addict

Default Husband has very high blood pressure and high cholesterol and not taking it seriously

Anyone been there? His blood pressure has been high for years now. Cholesterol I'm not sure about, but they told him last year that whatever he did, not to stop running. He used to run about 5 miles, 5-6 times a week. Hasn't done this more than a handful of times since last Spring. Consequently, his weight is now up too.

They wrote him a script for blood pressure meds 2 years ago. He never filled it. I asked him about his health today and he chalks it all up to me being a worrier. How can an educated man not take this more seriously?

Anyone with advice? I'm told him what I think and am now going to step back. He's a big boy of 46. Just hope he doesn't die while he's trying to figure this out.
~Wendy
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM
WAHM Addict

I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby. Does he eat a lot of salt? Sometimes that's the culprit. BUT either way he could try to up his potassium foods a bit and one thing that helped a relative of mine with high blood pressure was Apple Cider Vinegar. The reddish colored one - not the white.

The red one has the "mother" which makes it look a little cloudy. Bragg's is the best from what i remember. You can get it at some grocery stores now as it has some "fans" and some even cook with it.

Anyway, it's all natural and non-toxic. He just needs maybe a tablespoon a day. But it might have the recipes on the label.

The owners are very into health. The father lived to be like 96 then died from a swimming accident. His daughter is head of the Company now. I read in a book that Clint Eastwood takes ACV and some other starts. It's great for acid reflux and this I know from many people telling me.
I hope this helps! I suggest you do a search or check out Dr. Mercola's website mercola.com I'll say a prayer for you and your hubby!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 AM
WAHM Regular

My husband was the same way. He had to get the script filled for DOT Medical. After a while he just came off of them. Finally, after a year or so he went back to the doctor and has been on his BP meds ever since.

I do not cook with salt and add other spices to help there. A change in diet and more activity will also help in his HBP.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi Wendy,
Not sure if you remember me but I was on here quite a bit a few years ago. Anyway, I was reading about your husband and I just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. My husband is 37 and he is a teacher in an alternative school. This is his fourth year now and the stress has gotten to him so badly that without medication his bp is around 145/95. Its really scary. He is also overweight so that makes things worse. We have found that benicar is really good with little to no side effects. His blood pressure isnt going to get better until he makes lifestyle changes. Luckily we have a pretty good idea what my husband needs to do. He is going to apply for a teaching job in a regular school, (not sure if u are familiar with alternative but these kids are too dangerouss to be put in a classroom at a regular school)he has got to change his diet and exercise.
It is so hard to get hubby to eat right, but I have noticed that if I don't buy it or dont cook it he cant eat it. We are going to try exercising more as a family hoping this will make it easier for him. Is your husband under any kind of stress? Does he enjoy his job? Or maybe it is hereditary. He could be extremely fit but have hp if it runs in his family. These are alot of things to consider. If you ever want to talk send me an email. [email protected]
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi Wendy,

Men can be real stubborn at times, and when he is your husband, oh well it can be worse.

I have high blood pressure and I do take meds. I also never add salt to food while cooking or on the table, but I do love to add basil. It substitutes for flavor and I never miss the salt. (Too bad diners don't have a basil shaker on the tables like they do with the salt and pepper! )

Another thing he can try, is not to have too many frozen meals. I know they are very convenient at times, but frozen foods do have a lot of sodium.

Is he just 'afraid' of taking meds because he might fear that he is getting older and starting to have health problems? He might think he isn't in control because someone else told him to do something, (his doctor). He needs to get his blood pressure checked at times and it would be helpful to have a monitor at home. (Just remember when he does take it himself, to have him relax and not think of anything stressful, for that can raise your levels too.)

I am partnered with a company that has two natural products to help with high blood pressure and cholestorol levels. I will send you a private message.

Christine
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Super WAHM

Sorry to hear that. It took my husband having to go to the emergency room thinking he was having a heart attack to really wake him up about his high blood pressure. One thing my dad did that got him off his high blood pressure meds was to eat a banana everyday. Maybe that could help him
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Awesome WAHM

My husband just got a monitor from walmart. I think it was around $80. It hooks into his iphone and the app is free.

Tags
high blood presure