Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default epidural last resort for back pain

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on relieving back pain due to a ruptured disc. My mother has back pain that radiates all the way to her knee. She had an epidural today but that did not help at all. I hate seeing her in so much pain. If anyone has gone through this or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 07:08 PM
WAHM Fanatic

eeeek ruptured disc, bad, bad, bad, what then are they doing to fix, heel her disc?
Lisa
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 AM
WAHM Addict

I guess you may try to apply some herbal creams to relieve the pain and inflammation
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Super WAHM

My husband has slip disc and he lies on a bed (for 2 hours every night). its called Nugabest. it was made for the back. It's a bit pricey, but it does work for him.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Awesome WAHM

I was having crazy pain, and found out I had the same thing, about 4 weeks ago (although I've been in pain for about 10 weeks now.)

The doctor gave me some excersizes to do, and I've been taking it WAY easy. When the pain is bad, I take a bath with Watkins menthol bath salts, and then rub the White liniment, starting at my back where the pain is, and down my leg. After that, it's straight into bed, because that's the only way I can fall asleep.

Depending on where the rupture is, she could start sleeping with a comforter rolled under her knees and without a pillow (so that her spine is straight) or will a pillow between her knees on her side, with a pillow to support her head.

Basically, there's not too much they can do, unless it gets so bad, and then it's surgery. My step dad swears by a chiropractor, but I think he gets sciatic nerve pain.

In the last few weeks, my pain has subsided after doing all that I am, but it still gets bad every now and again. I just keep the liniment in the bathroom so I can access it quick.

Lori
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 AM
WAHM Master

Rhonda,

How bad your Mom's pain and what it has limited her to doing?

I had a ruptured disc in the L1 S1 area three years ago this August. It hurt pretty bad, to the point I'd cry from it. I have a huge threshold for pain BTW. Then I got the epi and it did work. Lasted for about a year but then the pain came back.

When it came back it made the first round seem like a cake walk. I tried everything, exercises, walking, hot baths etc............nothing worked. I had two more epi's during this time late last year with no relief. It was to the point, I literally had to crawl to get from point a to point b.

I finally saw a spinal surgeon, and had the surgery last December. It was a minimally invasive out patient surgery. Here is some info on what I had done. Microdiscectomy (Microdecompression) Spine Surgery

I was up and feeling great after waking up, the pain was totally gone. I was not allowed to lift more than 8 pounds for a few weeks, and was limited in doing to much up until February.

I hope she doesn't need surgery, but if she does don't be afraid of this type of back surgery.

Good luck,