Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
WAHM Regular

Unhappy Bad news at my ultrasound

Today i had my ultrasound done and found out that my baby has gastroschisis. Which means that the babys intestines are outside of its abdominal wall. I have to go up to OSU for a high risk ultrasound sometime and will hopefully find out more information. Im pretty upset and scared about this. I read a little bit about it online but I do not know that much about this defect.

I was wondering if anyone here has had this happen to them during a pregnancy or knows a little bit more about it or where I could possibly find out more info.

Does anyone know if that means I will have to have a C- section? Does this put me at a high risk or is there limitations I should be aware of? Any advice I can get woul be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am so sorry I hope everything works out. I have never had to deal with this defect but I have watched delivery stories on TLC that showed babies being delivered with the intestines outside the body. They had to do a c-section to keep from injuring the baby then they put a clear plastic bag over the intestines. They immediately do surgery to place the intestines back into the abdomen. I have seen quite a few and they all had happy endings. I will be praying for your baby.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I haven't had this happen, but I am thinking about you and so sorry you are going through this. I did have a few scares near the end of my pregnancy, and I did have to have an emergency c-section---all turned out well.
Saying a prayer for you and that sweet little baby tonight.

Melissa
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM
WAHM Regular

Thanks for the support. So far from what I have found out is that of course the baby will have to have surgery and everything turns out fine. I think once i get my high risk ultrasound done they will be able to give me more information.

I live probably about 45 minutes away from childrens where the baby will have to be taken so I think it will probably be best for me to have my baby at OSU. I think it will be easier on the baby so that it wont hve to take such a far drive.

Its hard to think about the baby will have to go through all of this and I wont be able to bring it home right away. My daughter had to have surgery on her eyes (she was born with ptosis) before her first baby and it was hard to see her after. I hate this. Knowing that someone so little needs to go through this but I am trying to keep my head up and pray that everything will be okay.

I am due June 22 and what I did read about it online is that most babies with gastroschisis are born premies or the moms are usually induced early due to low fluids. Pretty much just to ensure there will be no other problems with the baby. So I might be sooner than June 22 but it is hard to say for right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
WAHM Regular

I'm sorry that your baby has been diagnosed with problems without even being born. My twins were premature, born 3 months early due to me having severe HELLP syndrome, liver/kidneys were failiing and I went from 127 lbs to 154 lbs in a record 3 days (I was filled with saline that kidneys couldn't process). My babies were on ventilators from the time they were born till 2 months. I didn't get to hold either one at birth or after until 40 days, and then only 15 minutes!

one got severe mrsa in the lungs and then on her incision from having patent ductus surgery on her heart. To make the long story short, I had to practically live at the Ronald McDonald house in Macon for four months, and while I was there a baby boy born with gastroschisis, he was in the same section as one of my babies, and his parents stayed in the room next to me. He was not born premature and his case was extremely severe, so there's hope for yours. The were devastated, but after he had surgery they were soon able to hold him and they went home with him in a week and a half, if I'm remembering correctly. Hopefully your baby won't be premature, but if it is just know that my children are healthy at age two and there was a baby in the NICU while mine were there that survived at 24 weeks. Just know others have went through complicated pregnancies and know how it feels, you'll be okay and so will your baby!

Last edited by krystal.r0driguez; 01-07-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 AM
WAHM Addict

Hugs and prayers for you, your baby, and family.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Grand WAHM

Sending you big HUGS and lots of good thoughts!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM
WAHM Regular

Default So sorry that you and your baby have to go throug this

You will be in my prayers that angels will surround and sustain you on your road ahead. Sounds like everything will turn out just fine, but I know the getting there and the not knowing is so hard. Especially, like you said, when it is your precious little baby.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Awesome WAHM

Saying a prayer for you and your little one. Good for you for researching this yourself, that way you will be armed with info and able to fully listen and ask questions. Big Hugs!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Super WAHM

I'm so sorry. I will keep you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers. (((HUGS)))

Tags
gastroschisis