Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi All:

Does anyone here have bamboo floors in their house? We're looking at it as an option, instead of hardwoods. I have read they are harder than regular wood floors. Curious to hear from someone who has them in their house.

We are in the process of buying another home, and want to rip the carpet out of the bedrooms and go with Bamboo. But we have a dog and I wonder if it would stand up to his nails..and my kids..lol!

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Awesome WAHM

We have bamboo floors in my husband's office. Our black lab is in there everyday and there is no sign of any damage (approxmately 22 months we have had them now). Also he has an office chair on wheels - the installer cautioned us of posisble damage from the chair - NOPE I'll do bamboo again any day
Old 12-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Super WAHM

My parents had that laid in their home in the kitchen and family room and it is so strong. My parents have one very fragile but large (heavy), with bad hipschoco lab and one puppy very hyper choco lab and it takes their abuse. Plus when I bring over my 135 pound rottweiler and 120 pound yellow lab it takes a beating but still looks great. My lab and the puppy are nuts, they play non stop and my labs nails are always long. It seems when I cut them they are just as long the next day.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Grand WAHM

Heather, personally I love the look of bamboo and hear from others it's strong and hardy! I am planning on switching out my wood to bamboo eventually.

Here is some information though that may help you:

For a long time now, I’ve been in love with the beauty of bamboo
flooring. The fact that it is considered “green” is another bonus.
Yet, I’ve heard many negative things about bamboo floors as well.
Hopefully the items listed below will help answer questions you may
have and rectify any possible bamboo misconceptions as well.
<ul>[*]Though bamboo flooringis categorized with wood floors, it is actually a grass.[/list]<ul>[*]Bamboo flooring is considered’green’ because ofits ability to rapidly regenerate.[/list]<ul>[*]Just because bamboo itself is ‘green’ doesn’t mean that your floor is green.
Has a forest disappeared because it was cleared for the growing of
bamboo? Have panda bears relocated because of the harvesting of the
manufacturer’s bamboo?[/list]<ul>[*]Ask yourself how ‘green’ you and your pocketbook are willing to go. Check with a manufacturer and do your homework to make sure you’re getting the “green grade” you desire. Make sure you know what you’re getting before you pay a “great deal” for it.[/list]

</span>
<ul>[*]What about the finish? If your product is considered
‘green’, but a finish was added to the wood that gives off VOC’s from
formaldehyde based glues and finishes, your bamboo floor is no
longeras ‘green.’ Look for manufacturers that offer water-based,
solvent-free finishing.[/list]<ul>[*]Do you live in an arid region? Because bamboo isused to high
humidity, you will need to be sure it is properly finished and sealed
to assure its durability. The less expensive bambooflooring may not offer the moisture resistant finishing.[/list]<ul>[*]Buying pre-finished bamboo panels will reduce its susceptibility to moisture.[/list]<ul>[*]The Pattern in your bamboo floor depends on the direction
the grass was laid and then glued,commonly namedVertical and
Horizontal grain flooring.[/list]<ul>[*]Strand Bamboo flooring isa third pattern, created as the
bamboo ismashed up and bound. It is much denser than either the
Vertical or Horizontal grains and said to be nearly indestructible.[/list]<ul>[*]Another common complaint is that bamboo floor colors have been know to fade.
To ensure the installation color, make surethe sub-floor is cured
beforeinstalling the flooring. Also, installing blinds and
keepingthe humidity in your home consistent, will also protect your
bamboo from fading.[/list]<ul>[*]Buying pre-finished bamboo panels will reduce its susceptibility to moisture.[/list]<ul>[*]Strand Bamboo flooring iscreated as the bamboo ismashed up and bound. It is said to be as hard as an oak floor.[/list]<ul>[*]Some believe bamboo to be a soft wood because it has been known to
show dents more than the traditional wood floor. In general, bamboo
floors are slightly harder than oak flooring.[/list]<ul>[*]Not all bamboo floors will perform the same. Depending on proper installation and the product used, some will lose their color, warp, delaminate, and even split.[/list]<ul>[*]Bamboo that is harvested after 4 years will be considerably softer
than that harvested and milled after 6 years. Another way to check the
age of your bamboo is to measure the plank length. According to Mike
at the Green Building Center,
“The ideal height is approximately 6 ft. Before that it hasn’t reached
its maximum hardness, and after that it starts to soften again. So when
you see flooring that only comes in 3 ft lengths you should be
suspicious.” Make sure you are buying the appropriate grade for your
project.[/list]<ul>[*]There are two types of bamboo flooring. For areas with low humidity, solid (or traditional) bamboo will help avoid some of the potential problems as there are less materials glued together.[/list]<ul>[*]The other type of bamboo flooring is the engineered click system (also called plank board, floating, or wideboard),
which is muchlike many of today’s laminate floors. They are fairly
easy to install, especially if you are DIY savy. The long, wide boards
can glide over an imperfect subfloor, making them a great choice for a
renovation.[/list]<ul>[*]If you’re installing your project yourself, make sure you allow
enough time for your bamboo to acclimate before installation (several
days), and have the temperature/air conditioning set to what you expect
the normal condition to be. This should help avoid warping, later
contraction, and expansion.[/list]<ul>[*]There is a range of pricing available. I’ve seen clearance flooring at Simple Floors
fora couple dollars a square foot. There are other suppliers out
there selling at more than $7-8 per sf. My preferred local ‘green’
supplier, Green Building Center, advertises $5-6.25 per sf for Plyboo</span></span> bamboo flooring. An easily accessible supplier, The Home Depot, offers an engineered click bamboo for $3.29 a sf.[/list]
Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank you for the info, Velvet..that settles it for me..bamboo it is!
And thanks for the testimonials, girls..now I am really excited to start picking it out!!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 PM
WAHM Master

Heather, do your shopping! There's horizontal &amp; vertical cuts, along with carbonized, natural or stained versions of bamboo. Float engineering is available as well for quick installation over existing flooring.

Good luck with your selection!