Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM
WAHM Fanatic

At least a couple times a month when my father starts to eat dinner he gets only a couple bites down and and all of a sudden the food gets stuck down low in his throat. He can't eat another bite because what he's already eaten has lodged there and won't budge and he has to regurgitate. He'll be fine for breakfast and lunch and drinks coffee off and on all day, even just before dinner but when he eats it's like there's a block keeping the food from going down all the way.

I've told him he should tell his dr. but when he does see the man he doesn't remember to mention it (he's 88 so that's understandable).

Has anyone experienced anything like this or had an elderly family member/friend that has?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
WAHM Master

I would take him to the doctor personally and soon. If he's unable to eat properly because of what is going on, his health is going to be even worse. He may very well have a growth in his esophagus.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 PM
WAHM Master

My MIL had problems swallowing (she had several health issues) - I made sure that DH or I went to every DR's appointment with our questions written each time
Old 12-19-2008, 05:43 AM
WAHM Fanatic

He probably needs esophageal dilatation, where they stretch out the esophagus.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
WAHM Regular

My husband and I both have problems with this. He has seen an ENT who says the problem is acid reflux which has caused scarring in the esophagus. His dr. put him on prilosec and it seems to be working. After 3-4 months of medication, she will go back and scope his throat again to see if the scarring has healed.

I'm taking the prilosec (generic) also for the same problem and also because the acid reflux aggravates my asthma. It really seems to help - when I remember to take it!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I work in a skilled nursing facility for the elderly. I would take him to the doctor. More than likely, they will order a swallow study or swallow eval.
This type of thing can be quite common as we age. Once they determine what they are dealing with, they can make changes to his diet, put him on meds or do surgery depending on the results.
Good Luck..
Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank you ladies. I have printed out some information about esophageal dilatation and the possible reasons it could be needed. Once he's done reading that I will insist he make a dr appt and accompany him.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Super WAHM

If he refuses to have someone accompany him. (I know that some people are very independent and insist on still doing everything on their own) Maybe you could have him write a list of some problems that occur and he could take that with him to the doc's.
I hope all goes well and good luck!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM
WAHM Addict

I don't want to scare you, but my Mom had lost her ability to swallow and became severely dehydrated. She was in an assisted living home and they didn't catch it on time and she ended up in the ICU basically on her deathbed close to comatose. She had previously wanted to be listed as DNR (do not resuscitate) and it was a miracle that she woke up enough for us to ask her if she wanted a feeding tube and she had said yes. Thankfully we still had 2 more years with her becausefor some unknown reason she started being able to swallow again after just a few days of having the feeding tube. As I said, didn't want to scare you, but this could become very serious. My suggestion would be to have a swallow study done on him. Edited by: cassandra
Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
WAHM Addict

My husband, one of his sisters and his father all experience(d) this. For some reason, chicken seems to be a particular trigger. My FIL (now deceased - not from this), had es. dialation to treat the condition.

For my husband, relaxing and drinking something seems to be enough to get the food to move again although he often does have to vomit to take care of it, but I've noticed it's getting harder for him to do lately.

I agree, either accompany your father to the doctor or at least send a list of questions/symptoms. If he doesn't want you go in with him and he only wants to use the list, maybe you can talk to the nurse or doctor before-hand to make sure all the issues get discussed (in case he forgets to mention the things on the list).

Good luck. I hope he gets this solved. It's not any fun, I know that!

Cindy