Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
WAHM Addict

My kids read a book about dumplings and they want me to make some tonight. It's a cold evening - so it sounds wonderful to me too!

There's one problem...I've never made chicken and dumplings in my life.

So...any of you Southern Wahms care to share a simple recipe or some tips for making it?

Thanks!

Traci

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
WAHM Addict

When I've made "traditional" dumplings (the globs), I've used the Bisquick recipe http://www.recipezaar.com/269611

Now we've also done a more flat/rolled/cut dough for a chicken and dumplings family recipe. I'd have to really dig for that recipe since I've not used it in years. I've actually cheated and bought those flat dumplings in the freezer section of the grocery store (where the frozen bread dough is stored). They taste exactly the same as if we made from scratch.

Edited by: SandyMilton
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
WAHM Addict

Oh good. I was hoping someone would suggest bisquick. =) How do you serve the chicken then? (Seriously - it's sad how clueless I am....) I really don't cook much - mostly just crockpot meals. =)
Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
WAHM Addict

when we've done those drop dumplings, we've boiled the chicken (and assorted seasonings and sliced veggies) and created a nice broth. We actually pulled the chicken out and pulled it all apart and served it straight up with gravy and stuffing. It was generally part of Thanksgiving dinner but we've also had it on it's own as chicken and drop dumplings.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
WAHM Addict

Bisquickhere too. Now I want some. My sister makes the best C&D ever.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
WAHM Addict

This is the recipe I use (and I'm not southern LOL) but I like it! I'm sure you could use canned chicken too it just won't taste the same as the fresh stuff.

6-8 chicken legs
4 cans chicken broth
1 stick of butter

Put chicken in a large pan filled with water of way full. Cook chicken until done. Remove chicken from water and debone it. Place it to the side. Add 4 cans of chicken broth to the remaining broth in the pan. Add more water to make it at least full. Add 1 stick of butter. Bring to a rolling boil.

6-7 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
tsp pepper
1 cup cooled broth
cup oil

Combine flour, cooled broth, oil, salt and pepper. Add cold water to make dough the consistency of biscuit dough. Put flour on a board or counter top. Put 2 c. dough at a time and knead. Using rolling pin, roll out a thin, thin layer and cut into squares. Drop in boiling broth. Repeat using all of the dough. Cook dumplings for 20 min. Stir Occasionally very gently. Turn off stove. Add de boned Chicken. Put lid on pan. Let stand for 30-40 minutes.

As long as you do the dough almost as thin as you can get it using your hands. I don't use a rolling pin. and into squares it should not come out puffy.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Easy way..

chicken breast
1 family sized can of cream of chicken soup
1 jumbo size can of butter flavored biscuits (I use GV brand)
pepper to taste

boil chicken, put to side (shred when cooled)
bring cream of chicken soup (prepared) to a boil
pinch bite sized bits of the biscuits and toss them into the boil
cover, and reduce heat.. cook for 25 mins (no peeking)
stir then and add the shredded chicken last (keeps it from sticking to the btoom and burning
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Awesome WAHM

Bisquick recipe here too

I always buy 2 rotisserie chickens from Sam's.I servethem the first night with vegetables, but I save the thighs and legs to make chicken & dumplings the next day.

I still boil them for about 15 minutes to make the chicken broth and then I add several boullion cubes to intense the flavor. Shred the chicken and set aside. Follow the Bisquick recipe and add the chicken into the dumplings in the last couple of minutes.

We have a large family so I triple the recipe and use 2 stock pots to cook the dumplings in. They have to have plenty of room or they clump together. Once done I transfer them all to one pot.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
WAHM Master

I've never used Bisquick for dumplings.

I roll mine

1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and put in 1 tbls shortening in I cup boiling water. Then roll them out thin and add to the chicken stock.

Now I'm hungry![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

ETA I always double this to make it last for two batches and there is never a dumpling left.

I cook the chicken in boiling water till tender then drain and add some chicken broth, some chicken bullion and corn starch, with some mixed veggie and cooked potatoes. Then add the dumplings.

Edited by: kamie3535
Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
WAHM Addict

Is chicken pastry the same? I've never really liked my mom's dumplings, but I loved chicken pastry when we were in NC.