Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Awesome WAHM

Kamie~ My father would have loved your dumplings! He always said he liked the chewy ones better

The Bisquick recipe makes them more like biscuits, fluffy inside.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
WAHM Master

Boy have you made me miss my mother this evening. She made the best Chicken 'n Dumplings. (This is comfort food that's not limited to the south![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] )

Mom always said you need a good old, fatty stewing chicken to make the best chicken gravy! From what she served back in my younger days, I'd have to agree. Nowadays, the groceries just don't sell them, because lean and low fat is the healthy buzz word these days.

So sorry to say, but if the fat isn't there I add it in the form of butter or margarine. [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Stew the chicken until it falls off the bone. Separate the meat from the skin and bones; set aside. Strain the broth and then return to the stove. Add butter/margarine as desired. If the broth isn't full of chicken flavor, add canned broth or boullion cubes as necessary, then thicken with flour water or corn starch. Salt & pepper to taste. (Some folks add veggies, but we serve that on the side) Return the chicken to the gravy. Prepare your dumpling batter. Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the top of the pot; cover and steam until they double in size.

I know what's on next week's grocery list! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hummm, no Bisquick here either. I come from a spit of a town in Georgia, and my mom was a caterer, so her recipes were as about as southern as they come.

My recipe is for cornmeal chicken and dumplins. My kids beg me to make it once a week, it is usually the Sunday meal. It is easy as pie, and the taste cannot be beat!

I am at I am at work so I don't have the recipe, but will be happy to give it out if anyone wants to PM me for it. I do it so much, I don't follow a recipe anymore, but throw it together with a pinch of this and a dash of that, annd I sometimes change things around when I get bored with it..lol!