Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Super WAHM

Am I the only one who wishes the kids had to wear a school uniform? I grew up in England where most schools have a school uniform... I hated it, but had no choice, and so I conformed like everyone else and survived the school years without being scarred by the experience.

Anyway, my DD started middle school this week, 6th grade, she's been very excited about starting because she had to repeat 5th grade, and has been looking forward to seeing some of her friends who are now just beginning 7th grade, and will be able to see some of them on the school bus ride there and back. Well, the day before school started her best friend since 4th grade phoned her to say when she sees her on the bus she must pretend not to know her because she's "only a 6th grader" and "doesn't wear the right clothes!" My DD was devastated by this news, her "friend" went on to say she still wants to see her on the weekends, but warned her that she will be ignoring her during school!!

I felt a little crushed too because my DD has nice clothes, but apparently if you're not wearing Aeoropostle or Hollister or Abercrombie, you're not good enough for some people!! It's made my DD paranoid about what to wear each day to be 'accepted', and it's starting to drive me crazy because that's not what school should be about... they go there to receive an education, but the pressure to make the right fashion statement is getting in the way of learning!!

It just made me realize that school uniforms are really a good thing because when everyone is wearing one there is no room for judgement, and friendships are based on each childs personality, not on the way they look.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
WAHM Master

There would still be room for judgement based on the fact that she is 'only a sixth grader.' Sounds like that friend isn't really much of a friend at all.

But for me, no I don't wish for school uniforms. Unfortunately the real world has very little to do with equality and even playing fields or anything like that and as adults we are judged on everything; including the way we dress. I'm not a big fan of the feel good society we are working on.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I totally can relate to what your going through. It is hard when your child feels insecure or unaccepted because their clothes aren't name brand. It kind of makes you sick to a point.

My 2nd grader has been asking for different types of clothes, because a girl in her class has them and said "everyone" should have that kind. Give me a break at that age I was lucky to get clothes from Walmart and some shoes from Payless.

That is hard to hear that she wants to be her friend only on the weekends, maybe she should just find a new friend because it seems to me like the "other girl" isn't good enough to be friends with your daughter! IMO....

I totally agree with you on the uniforms. Where I'm from, NM, it will probably be the last state out there to have school uniforms!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I understand where you are coming from. I hope you had a talkwith her about this girl and how "shallow" that type of thinking really is.

We started out daughter in Christian private school this year because the public middle schools here are horrible. She wears uniforms everyday, and though she isn't thrilled, I know she'll adjust.

I could already see issues with the whole "image" thing last year when she took more time picking out her outfit the night before than she did doing homework.

I personally love the look of uniforms. It is a neat, clean cut look.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Super WAHM

Thanks for your opinions... I agree that her friend is not a real friend afterall and I've told her that I don't want her playing with her on the weekends if she can't show her respect through the week. She deserves a better friend than that, and she has other friends, it's just that she considered her to be her 'best' friend... oh well, now she's learned that some people are shallow and superficial and not who they thought they were...

Meanwhile I continue to insist that she treat people the way she would want to be treated, and not to judge others by their size, colour, or what they wear, because what really matters is what a person is like on the inside, and how they treat others... she gets it, she's a really good kid, and I know she has more friends just waiting to meet her in 6th grade, I just hate that she's been hurt by her "best friend", but encourage her to see it as a learning experience.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
WAHM Regular

Phew Im glad we dont have that problem, my boys have to wear school uniforms in Slidell, Louisiana. That way there is no peer pressure or wondering what I have to wear today! Have a great weekend!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Grand WAHM

My son attends a private school and wears a uniform (khakis and polo)..It's not his personal choice in clothing, but when he comes home he changes to his preference on how he likes to express himself. At least he can wear his skate shoes and jewelry to add a little self expression to his uniform. lol

I find in school it's been a good experience, because it's one thing that isn't focused on while trying to do what they are there for..to learn. There are so many distractions in school with kids, so by wearing a uniform it does help a little.

So, I understand where you are coming from. But remember..the clothes aren't only what people judge on (as I'm sure you realize). This won't eliminate judging in other areas, however, I do feel it helps in a small way to remove some of that pressure that kids feel when it comes to what to wear each day to try to fit in.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree with the school uniforms because it is one less worry for kids and parents about what to wear the next day and they are there to learn.

My nephews have to wear uniforms because of the gang problemwhere they live.Wearing certain clothes means you are froma particular gang andcauses problems from rival gangs.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM
WAHM Addict

Uniforms would be so good for kids to take the pressure off. High school was tough on kids to wear the right clothing. Uniforms would have made things so much easier. I don't want to say what date I was in high school, but I remember way back when there were contests to vote for the ones who were best dressed...it was a good school, but I still don't know what they were thinking when they did that. It wasn't a community where people wererich, so it still strikes me as a stupid thing to do.

[Edited to take out the not in rich]Edited by: HighEnergyMom
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I like the idea of uniforms too. No fussing around. I wore one in elementary, but switched schools for jr and sr high.

But, on the other hand, a friend of mine who also had to wear uniforms hates them because he says it creates a type of army where everyone's the same.

I can see that point of view too. But isn't everyone where Hollister, or everyone dressing like punks a sort of army too?

Love,
Shannon