Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
WAHM Master

I know somebody here has two monitors on the same computer.....

What are the advantagesof using two monitors over using seperate tabs or windows?

Edited by: tenXmom
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
WAHM Addict

I use 2 at work. I need to see several things at once without clicking through tabs. (Especially when I am day trading,)
Terry
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Awesome WAHM

I know this might be a stupid question but I'm curious to know - how is it that one mouse can work both computer screens?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Super WAHM

I've got two monitors. My 2nd monitor is plugged into my laptop. It's very handy if I'm watching tv/movies on the 2nd monitor while I work on the laptop.

I can also open twice as many windows, which really helps when I'm taking "tests" with my job where I read one document while answering questions on another document.

To find out how to set up a dual monitor, just google your operating system and dual monitor set up (or something similar). Your mouse goes from one monitor to the next like normal. Only time a dual monitor might not work, is in an older desktop with a graphics card that does not support it.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Super WAHM

When I worked in the corporate world, the software I used was easier to work with when you used two screens. You could keep your models/drawings in one window and your display boxes in the other.

I think the biggest advantage can be that it saves time because you can display twice as much information at one time. The thing about it though is that it is really only an advantage if the programs you use warrant two monitors, if that makes sense. I think to make your decision, you have to look at the software you use most often and decide whether or not you would save time by having a second monitor because it can actually slow you down in some cases. You might even want to try it out for a little bit if you have an extra monitor laying around.

If you use several different types of software on a regular basis, keep in mind that you don't always have to use both monitors. If it doesn't make sense to use two monitors with one type of software but it would be helpful with other applications, go for it and just use one monitor when that is all you need.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM
WAHM Master

Thanks!

My new employer has suggested a second monitor to speed things along during my work day -

Fry's sale starts tomorrow, I'll get DH aka my techie to pick up anohter flatscreen (I can't fit a *regular monitor on my desk with what I have now - we tried)

Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 AM
WAHM Master

I have two monitors. I can't add any more to what's been said but it's great.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 AM
WAHM Addict

Dual monitors ROCK!
I used the heck out of them back in the day, when I worked for a web developer. I had DreamWeaver open in one updating/modifying web sites and I'd have the test server open to see what the changes looked like. It saved a ton of time.

Even if I wasn't doing that, just the ability to have many apps open at one time and moved out of the way made life so much easier and really improved my production and efficiency.

Of course, if you open a bunch of *fun* sites/apps instead, it can become a huge time sinkhole, so you have to be careful with that. I, of course, nver slacked off in any way shape or form.

Cindy
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
WAHM Master

Many document coders use dual monitor too. You'll love it, Laura!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 PM
WAHM Master

If we ever choose one I'm sure I'll love it

*I think DH is trying to buy more monitor than I need (I never use the speakers, etc...)

I agree with DH that both should be the same size but space is a serious issue on my desk (I can repost the picture of my desk by the end of the week)

Is there an advantage to going this route? Are two 15 inch screens enough or will I miss my large monitor and should I just by another the same size?

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MD215-B&cat=MON

I'm also worried going that route that if one side goes out I'll have to start all over again....

ETA - I'm not considering going with a refurbished just showing that as an example
Edited by: tenXmom