Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I have come to the portion of my show where I can't figure out what to make for dinner anymore..ever been there?

The kids are tired of the same dishes over and over, and I can't come up with much. I have looked online for recipes, and nothing moves me..HELP!

Can anyone submit your family favorite to me?? What do your kiddos love that you can also make in a snap??

I will also say my kids have become SO picky, which also makes it hard, as I will eat anything, and hubby doesn't care either.

Help me outta my rut! PULEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 PM
WAHM Addict

I bet if you do a search you will find something.

I go in stages. Right now I'm on a "no stress" lifestyle lol.

I make a big bowl of chicken salad, (noodles, chicken, mayo etc) and
all 3 love it. It's so good on a hot night.

Sloppy joes are a weekly staple lately. Not a usual here so they love it.

egg buritos - another easy meal. (with cheese or ham etc)

we don't so dairy, but there are a ton of casseroles out there - do a search on allrecipes.com

good luck, been there done that. I posted this yesterday, but I use to
think I had to put a 5 star meal on the table - not! They don't care and they still eat fruit all day and veggies with whatever I make.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
WAHM Master

When in doubt, make breakfast. My kids love breakfast for dinner. You can go as simple or as elaborate as you want. Usually French toast and bacon or eggs, toast and bacon is enough to satisfy my kids.

Mine also love salads so we do different salads. Hey, let's make a couple chicken breasts and throw them on a salad, or add lunch meat, whatever veggies you want, tuna. Almost anything goes with a salad.

The only suggestion I have for the pickies is the rule that applies in my house: This is dinner, you can either eat it or go to bed hungry because you will get nothing else.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
WAHM Regular

Did you look at the recipes on here? I usually find something on the internet when I search. Do you have something in mind that you would like a recipe for? Edited by: blessedmomof3
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned

You have to tell us what you serve to help get you and US out of the ruts

For me quick and simple:

Mini pizzas made on english muffins using spaghetti sauce and various toppings

Manwiches with pickles and chips

Homemade soups with cheesy bread.. veggie beef, ham and potato etc

Chili dogs

Teriyaki chicken on the grill with baked potatos and salad

Enchiladas and a side salad.. (my recipe is the BEST if anyone wants it)

Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 PM
WAHM Addict

Trystir fying some better steak or boneless chicken, peppers, onions and mushrooms cut in strips. Serve in tortilla wrappers with lettuce, tomato andcucumberwith your choice of dressing(s). You could also make the stir-fried steak or chicken mixtures with sweet and source sauce over rice. Kabobs on the grill are great too.
Another alternative is when you set aside a day or two to cook in bulk. Cool the food, divide and wrap in serving portions.I've done 2-3 trays of lasagna, several meat loaves, spaghetti sauce,4whole roasted chickens, two whole roasted pork loins,etc. at various times. Cover, cool in refrigerator, then portion and freeze.Red potatoes whipped with butter and milk Homemade soups, stews and loads of other things can be frozen in individual or family portions. Bake a bunch of cakes (do not frost), just freeze each pan individually. All you needis a nice stand-up freezer with shelves and proper wrapping materials and freezer bags. Don't forget to name and date everything.

I've alsopurchased a bunch of pizzas when they are on sale, cut them into serving size and bagged them for thefreezer.Precooked and cooked ones work out fine too.

BTW my freezer is a defrost it yourself. Food lasts a lot longer in there. The beauty of this is that you can offer individual choices to everyone when they are cranky about what they want to eat and you don't feel like cooking, but everyone can pick something that sounds good to them and it just involves a little heating in the microwave or baking in a toaster oven.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Super WAHM

I'm in a dinner slump too. My family is getting tired of my dinners also. I see the disappointment on their faces when I answer the "what's for dinner" question. The problem is I just haven't been in the cooking mood. Another thing is with the price of groceries I am trying to budget, come up with healthy meals and keep it interesting, it just hasn't been fun lately.

Valerie

Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
WAHM Master

If your kids are old enough, sit down as a family and plan out the next weeks meals. Then you will have seven meals to choose from and each night ask them what they feel like having that morning so you will have time to sit the meat out to defrost. It will help out with shopping also since you know what you are already going to have and you won't have to come up with meals on your own. You canvisit sites likewww.allrecipes.com or www.kraftfoods.com.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
WAHM Master

If you're like me, I'm just sick of having to feed people, period. My kids are almost all grown. But it would be so nice to not have to stop every afternoon around 4:00 and think: what's for supper tonight?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 AM
WAHM Master

I agree with someone else above, if they are old enough involve your children in planning the menu. Also, if possible, have them cook or at least help with dinner. Mine are 14 and 16 so they have dinner duty at least once a week and we do take-out once so I only have to worry about it 4 nights.

I also make one or two nights really easy like something in the crockpot or a casserole I popinto oven when I get home.Have you tried making a list of what they like?

Do that and make revisions like: spaghetti, try it with sauce and garlic bread one week and the next week with a different type of pasta and maybe throw some cheese on top and bake it till bubbly. Try meatball hoagies the next. Variations on things they like.

My DH is really picky but I have a "base" list of about 15 things or so that I can vary so we never run out of idea's.

Also-in the summer I do a LOT of salads with some grilled beef, chicken or shrimp. Burgers are good too. Heck-have sandwich and chips nights!! Who says dinner has to be elaborate?? It is just sustainance! (sp?)

Edited by: Trese