Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM
WAHM Addict

Any recipes?

DH and I have been watching more of the food network and saw an interesting show on "good eats" that gave us an indeo... but we changed it and made it our own. They turned out to be the best I've ever had yet! LOL

Grilled Pork Chops

4 double thick bone-in pork chops
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 cups water, heated
1 bottle of root beer

In a plastic container put the salt, sugar, peppercorns, and mustard powder. Add the hot water and swirl to dissolve. Let mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to develop flavor. Add root beer. Add chops and cover with brine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Remove chops from container. Grill the chops on medium high heat for 6 minutes on each side. Turn each chop 45 degrees after 3 minutes to mark.
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM
WAHM Master

yummy! We love pork!

I will have to print off your recipe and try it. Thanks for posting it.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
WAHM Addict

Sounds good Peggy- I`ll have to try that!
I like to marinate my chops in Moore`s Meat Marinade, then use a peppercorn rub on them. Yummmmm!
Terry
Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Peggy, I've been meaning to tell you THANK YOU for posting your recipe for chicken with a can of Rotel in the crockpot. I add some taco seasoning to this and we all LOVE it on tortillas with cheese and my weird version of Spanish rice.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
WAHM Regular

yummy!!! sounds great will try it!!! thanks!! im from the south(n.c) so we cook on the grill almost everyday!!! tonite its chicken pastry(lol)

i have read all the threads about this but still don't understand why my link is not clickable??????? help,any-one!Edited by: mythreekids.3
Old 05-21-2008, 07:54 PM
WAHM Addict

Tinker! THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Gotta love that! Boy, I tell ya... I try so darned hard to make the guys say "wow Mom, this is really good!" Yes, the taco seasoning really gave it the punch I was looking for! Which thread was that in? There were a whole bunch of great ideas!

The bottle (can) of root beer to the above recipe was something I saw here in another recipe. It just sounded like it would work really well and it does!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
WAHM Master

I have heard of pork chops marinated in a can of cherry coke before but not rootbeer so I am anxious to try your recipe now!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:43 AM
WAHM Addict

Okay this sounds like another great receipe that I am gonna have to try! I guess with the long weekend coming up I am looking for ideas......

Oh, and if someone has the link for the chicken with the rotels please let me know, sounds good too!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM
WAHM Addict

Heads up! We took the idea from the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20641,00.htmlso please keep that in mind. You may also want to know that we are sodium conscious and not totally into sweets, so we reduced the salt and sugar by 50% for the brine. Cider vinegar? Don't have it, didn't wanna buy it but figured hot water what do the trick. I thought apple juice would work but it's not really our thing (yet, recently bought some) and I had the rootbeer on hand because I saw it in some thread here and it sounded good... so that's just how we put it together and it worked really well. K? So, look at the two and consider making it your own too according to family pallets if you have special needs, picky eaters, it rains that day, or whatever! LOL (Oh, we also grilled a touch different than on the show but not much, just more direct heat than the show) Sorry, rambling *achem

For the chicken meat... it's just something I figured out for my enchilada meat. First off, I am picky. Grew up Iowa gal, traveled tons, now Texas gal so how I taste things can be different than others. Now that's out of the way (lol) I found my favorite chicken filler pre-made at a HEB grocery store in Houston, TX (loys of international foods avail.) But, it's out of my way so I wanted to mock it. To this day, I personally like mine more and can't order them at resturants because I am too dissapointed! (hah!)

This is easy! Writing Instructions w/o a guide. Not as easy. Basically:

Whole Chicken
1 can chicken broth
1-2 cans rotel per taste (I use 1)
1-2 packets taco seasoning (I use 1, sometimes 1.5)

Crock whole chicken in broth until done. Remove and de-bone. Rinse crock. Add chicken meat, rotel, and taco seasoning. Simmer until done.

Love it! Personally, I hate left overs! But, this is something I will freeze for other meals and I can get enough chicken filling for three (to feed a family of 4, 2 are male teens!)

K, I think I covered all bases! *g

Peggy
Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 AM
WAHM Fanatic

The way I do Peggy's Rotel chicken is this:

2 fresh or frozen chicken breasts (boneless)
1 can of Rotel
1/2 pk taco seasoning

Cook in crockpot till done. With 2 forks, shred the chicken right there in the crockpot and let it cook on low just a bit longer.

But now that I know it can be frozen, I'll double or triple it and freeze it. I had never in my lifebought a can of Rotel till I saw this recipe. Now I keep in in my pantry all the time. My kids LOVE this chicken.