Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:21 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Why do some parents prefer to homeschool their kids?

I was just thinking of this idea. If a child is homeschooled, there are many things he might miss. He'd have less chances of having friends, and I don't know. Will it not affect his confidence? It's like turning 2 again when he reaches college, don't you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyqueen View Post
I was just thinking of this idea. If a child is homeschooled, there are many things he might miss. He'd have less chances of having friends, and I don't know. Will it not affect his confidence? It's like turning 2 again when he reaches college, don't you think?
I am not a homeschooler but have many friends that are. One I know primarily homeschools so her family has the flexibility to travel. Just thinking of her I can think that children who ARENT homeschooled are missing out!

There are many many organizations/groups dedicated to homeschool families that allow them to pool resources, and provide many enriching opportunites to socialize.

Sure you will find people who are extreme in some way-like isolating their children from other people or crazy teaching, but that really isnt the norm...
Old 07-29-2018, 11:18 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiandream78 View Post
I am not a homeschooler but have many friends that are. One I know primarily homeschools so her family has the flexibility to travel. Just thinking of her I can think that children who ARENT homeschooled are missing out!

There are many many organizations/groups dedicated to homeschool families that allow them to pool resources, and provide many enriching opportunites to socialize.

Sure you will find people who are extreme in some way-like isolating their children from other people or crazy teaching, but that really isnt the norm...
Wow, good to know that. I had no idea, but thinking of the activities they do to so make up for what we (or I) think they might be missing is exciting. Seems you are right. It's the other way around.

I know someone who homeschools their daughter, but I believe it's due to some condition. She kind of experience isolation, like what you mentioned.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Registered WAHM

I was homeschooled and it was the best choice my parents did looking back (Now that I'm grown up)lol. You should give it a try.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:59 AM
Registered WAHM

There are many advantages to homeschooling children.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered WAHM
Array

I find that each family homeschools for different reasons. I really wanted to send my son to school and he have a great experience that was not the case. let me start by saying he is a genius and that is not me bragging that is him being tested by a professional and not by the school system although his tcap scores for the state came back as him ranking in the top 3% for the state of TN meaning just 3 other people in the state scored higher then he did. So why was he flunking language arts which he reads at a college level and understands. BORED. BORED. BORED. You see most schools teach to the 98% the 2% (super nova smart kids) get left out well maybe there is a gifted class 2 days a week but other then that they were numb with boredom and in the box thinking. So we pulled him out and he know homeschools himself with a 1 day a week going to a coop where he socializes. And he does have friends his generation hangs out online. His best friend is in Maine. Most kids his age are very inmature and disrespectful he really does not like hanging out with them. Also because we live in a dual enrolling state he will finish some of his college courses while finishing his high school and those college courses will count towards his high school credits. He know what he wants to study in college so we gear his school towards that. I am so excited for him. That is are reason.

Last edited by mrssgtmajor; 09-24-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: editing to explain we have also taught him to be an out of the box thinker he is free to do that.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Registered WAHM
Array

Default Homeschooling

I was just curious! What are you going to do if your child is happened to be sick? Will you send him to school? I assume that no, but perhaps it's can be! In this case, homeschooling is the best way out of the situation. There are thousands of different services https://edureviewer.com/ that can help your child to study at school, to have an essay writing and other, but you should choose what is better for him or her.