Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 PM
WAHM Regular

Question Advantages of Home Schooling

What are the advantages of home schooling? What are the very best things about home schooling?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Super WAHM

Thumbs up

Hi Cheryl!

If you are just beginning to look into homeschooling, I encourage you to read any book on the subject to get more information! There are also MANY great homeschooling websites and forums out there - just look for them!

There are many, many benefits to learning at home! Just a few: spending more time with your kids to nurture them, staying away from school bullying (by students AND teachers), teaching them your personal worldview/religion, coping with your child's quirks (slow learning to read, etc.) without making them feel bad, dealing with personality issues (ADHD, etc.) without medications, using materials that work for your particular student (are they better at reading/listening/doing to process info).

I love that I can protect my kids (while young), from a lot of negative experiences and gradually release them into the world when they are more ready to handle things! Then, as students get older, you can allow them more freedom to learn on their own, teaching them independence and possibly accumulating college credit while still in high school. Kids that have been homeschooled have been shown to do better on standardized tests and better at college than public school students! They are also better at relating to people of all ages, since they were never grouped unnaturally with only their same-age peers.

Another side benefit is that you will grow as a person - it can be tough to have your kids with you all day! I know that homeschooling has brought some of my personal inadequacies to the forefront and I have to face them to become a better mom! This is great to model to my kids that even as adults we can (and should), learn and grow!

There are lots more great reasons, but I have to get back to teaching (and then our lunch break)!

Best wishes as you contemplate the great choice of homeschooling your children!

Lori in NY
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
WAHM Fanatic

You decide on their education.
You don't have to risk their lives when school is open during bad weather or worry about being absent.
No bullying problems.
No unfair treatment.
You can join an umbrella group. You pick the program.
Some kids go to college earlier.
You don't have to worry about school districts when moving.
Save money on lunch.
They get to join more activities. Most parent put their kids in more activities since they're home school.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 PM
WAHM Regular

We are e-schoolers, meaning we are a public school done at home. We use the k12 (k12.com). Besides the common core issue Ohio is having, I love it. Here are the things I love about doing school at home:

1. No Bullying (if I was able to homeschool, i would have done great, I was bullied all through school from elementary to highschool, it was horrible)

2. Able to go at their own pace ( If they are not understanding a unit, we have the option to go through it again)

3. Being part of my kids education 24/7, learning their works for them. Seeing the amazed look on their face when they understand whatever it is they are learning.

4. Don't have to buy new clothes every school year..

Those are the big ones for me, there are others, like not waking up at the crack of dawn to start school..lol
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Registered WAHM

The best option of home schooling is to take online tutoring classes . They will provide tutoring for almost all subjects.One of the site is Tutorpace is one of the site. Student can take online home schooling . Feel free to contact at toll free number 18006656601 or chat with academic coordinator .
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM
WAHM Regular

Also just to mention that there is a lot of local support and home school groups where you can get together, learn and share with each other, go on home school field trips together.
Lot's of interaction...
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered WAHM

A few other points that I like:

No waking up early, no late night homework, flexibility in what we do and when we do it, both long term and on a daily basis.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
Registered WAHM

Flexibility! Freedom! Fun!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Homeschooling

For me it's flexibility!!

Our schooling goes anywhere! We travel 6 months and live in the Dominican Republic.. October-April.. And then April-October in NY.. (We are now moving to Texas) so the flexibility is awesome.

We have time freedom.. we can do it at any time.. of course it's BEST to have a schedule, but we don't..
Old 04-26-2015, 05:25 PM
WAHM Regular
WAHM Professional

Does anyone worry about a lack of social interaction? I have been considering this for a long time, but don't want my girl to be socially awkward because of it.