Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Advice Needed

Hey everyone!

My name is Stephanie and I live in rural Nevada. I have two boys ages 8 and 9. My 9 year old has severe autism, cerebral palsy, and hydrocephalus. My 8 year old has slight ADHD but nothing that requires an IEP or medication.

School is always a nightmare with my 9 year old. He screams about going and I get daily notes indicating his non compliance. I have contemplated home school for years. My main problem is that if he doesn't comply with them I don't think he will comply with me either. He can read and write and knows basic math but that is it. His autism is severe. SO not sure exactly how home schooling would work with him.

My problem is that if I do it for one the other wants to do it as well. He said he hates school and all the bullies.

I have talked to the k12 virtual academy and it is an online public school here in Nevada.

I would just like to hear what everyone thinks about my personal situation as well as home schooling in general. My main concern is the lack of socialization and how to compensate for that.

Stehanie
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Awesome WAHM

Stefanie,

I wish I could give you some real solid advice, but I have not done home schooling. My son is now 27 and he struggled all through school with ADD. He did manage to graduate high school and even took a few college courses but no degree. He is doing well now but it was a tough road for him and me. Home schooling has really come a long way and with the Internet now it is really a viable option for many parents. I am a Life Coach and I have really taken an I test in Home Schooling in order to help some of my clients that have children with various struggles.

In your case, I would recommend you maybe seeking the advice of your child's doctor or a health care professional as to what resources may be available to help you educate and socialize your son. There may be programs available that are free that you may not even be aware of and unless you ask some doctors will unfortunately not even bring it up.

I hope you find the advice you need.

Cheryl Corrente
Life Coach
Innerdomination.com
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 AM
WAHM Regular

I have a daughter with Autism and have considered homeschooling. I am nervous about it because my work at home job isn't quite full-time yet. I wish I had some good advice for you. I never know what the right thing is to do. Change is so difficult for my daughter.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM
WAHM Regular

K12 is a great program for homeschoolers. Plus autistic kids often do better with computers than with people. Its worth a shot.

I'm a huge fan of homeschooling and I am certain that both your kids will be better off.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
WAHM Regular

Honestly it might be hard for you to home school but only you know how he'll react. His school probably doesn't know how to deal with his issues (sorry I don't know how else to word it ) but if you don't think he'll be able to stay still then maybe you being his teacher is also a bad idea. I suggest hiring someone to home school him that specializes in this.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:50 AM
WAHM Regular

Maybe if you could find someone that would come in and help you with him to step in when you get frustrated. We are going to either home school our youngest or put him in private school because the public school system here is pretty bad.

If he is having bully issues, don't stop at the school go to the school board and superintendent!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 AM
WAHM Regular

Education gives us knowledge and that makes us different from the rest of the world. Book reading or watching an informative program on TV is also a part of education.