Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Balancing work and Family?

My son is having some behavioral issues at home and with a new baby and work I sudoect he is feeling a little left out and acting out for attention. How do I find a good balance that allows me to give 100% to both boys and do what I need for my job? It's almost too much to handle right now. I'm at a total loss.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 PM
WAHM Regular

The best advice I can give you is to say family before anything. If you decide to have a baby, you need to put 100% of your time and effort into raising that child. If work is getting in your way, then you need to cut back on hours or completely give up on work. Your child will suffer without the right affection and attention.

If you absolutely cannot give up work, then you need to find a sitter who will dedicate the time that you cannot. Just note that your child will be deprived of being raised by his true mother and may grow to despise you. Here is a good article on the five things successful working parents give up to balance work and parenting by Forbes. Great read:

The Five Things Successful Working Parents Give Up To Reach A Work-Life Balance - Forbes
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 AM
WAHM Master

What kind of work do you do ? Is it something you can grab your laptop and head to the park or outside or sit in his playroom while you work ?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Registered WAHM

It your first duty to look after for her child so don't irritate enjoy and feel its childhood and became a perfect mom. So schedule your time table for your accordingly.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Work and Family

Family comes first! If you absolutely can't quit I suggest hiring a baby sitter. Either way, organizing your time properly can help a lot. You don't have to spend the whole day with your kid, it's the quality of the time that you spend together that matters.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaVue View Post
My son is having some behavioral issues at home and with a new baby and work I sudoect he is feeling a little left out and acting out for attention. How do I find a good balance that allows me to give 100% to both boys and do what I need for my job? It's almost too much to handle right now. I'm at a total loss.
Honestly, just with trial and error. What works for anyone here might not necessarily work for you. I have a 17 year old son, a 14 year old son (who plays sports), and a 5 year old special needs son with multiple therapeutic appointments during the week. Certain days of the week I know I will live in my car. So, my choice is to allow it to be a waste of time (or stay up all night and work) or I can take my laptop with me and make it productive.

Some days, my 5 year old simply will NOT let me work. If I work, he does NOTHING but scream. Now, most of the time he doesn't act like that and a lot of the time when he does there are consequences for screaming such as time out. However, there are other times when he just wants my attention and he can't really be punished for that...so I can either be frustrated (and like any parent - that sometimes happens) or I can make a choice to rearrange my day to meet his needs.

Once in a while, I pay one of the older boys as a Mother's Helper to amuse the five year old. It's money well spent.

You working from home (and a new baby on top of that) is a big change for you and your older son. So, it's trial and error. There are some days (since it's summer) that I just throw sunscreen on the five year old and we go out back. I work from a lawn chair while he splashes and screams in the kiddie pool we have.

Find little things that you can celebrate as a success. I've found that's really helpful for me. Oh, and make sure that you make time for you because otherwise you will begin to eventually feel like you do nothing but work between your work and your family. Trust me. Family of five.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Super WAHM

Set hours for your business and try not to go over. When my kids were growing up, I took them out on mom and son dates. We did what they wanted to do during that time. I was able to focus just on that one child. Great conversations came out of those times.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Super WAHM

you should manage your time and divide it with your boys and your work. just make sure that if you have 5 hours to work, the remaining of your time will be dedicated to you son and youll give him the affection and attention he needs and you have to stop thinking about work when youre with your son.