Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Juggling Life and Running a Business?

These are some questions for those of you who run a business full time and still manage to live your lives:

How do you do it? What are your biggest challenges?
Is working for home worth the sacrifice? Do the benefits outweigh the costs?

Thanks in advance for your answer!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Registered WAHM

Default challenges

time management seems to be my main issue hands down.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Super WAHM

I was dreading the kids being home this summer. But I have found that if I let them play in the water hose for an hour I can make my business calls then. I do my paper work while we have TV time. And my online work is done after the kids go to bed.This has forced me to get my work done quickly and not get sidetracked.

I mark my calander with family activities at the beginning of the month (this includes date nights with hubby etc) and only plan parties on the leftover nights. I also try to not book on weekends so I can spend time with the family.

I run 2 businesses and this really seems to work for us. I just hope I can keep up the discipline after they go back to school!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM
WAHM Regular

I use a planner to keep it all together. That includes 3 graduate courses and working a full time job outside of my home in addition to my direct sales business. I keep everything documented and scheduled (even the smallest things) to keep me organized.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am a Real Estate Agent and I run my Direct Sales businesses. I have to write everything down and I use lots of files and totes and organizers to keep it all together!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeany View Post
time management seems to be my main issue hands down.
Making schedules too.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 AM
WAHM Regular

The holidays always creates a particularly challenging time. I tend to do more early morning and late nights but the kids are also aware that there are times during the day that I need to work so scheduling and talking with the kids about that seems to work for me. I also ensure that at least one day during the holidays is one that I spend with them.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 AM
WAHM Addict

I have found that time management can be challenging at times but I involve my family to help makes things easier. For instance - every day there is a chore to do to keep the house tidy... I enlist my family to help and on the weekend we go over everything usually on Saturday. This free's up time to do my business and makes things much more enjoyable and less stress. Team work makes the dream work! That is just one example.

When the kids were out of for summer break.... it was a little difficult to fit my business in at times, but I just waited for the opportunities to come like early morning or after everyone is in bed to do what I needed to do.

Now that the kids are back in school, I have the house to myself and can really concentrate on my business with ease. I love school. LOL
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

My son is 24 now and not living home anymore so I have no excuses there. My husband is also a big help with house stuff so I am able to really focus on all my businesses. Real Estate used to be my main focus and I still will put any Real Estate business ahead of everything else, but these days I am not seeing much Real Estate business coming my way so I really looking at my other businesses to keep me busy!

My biggest issue is this computer. I struggle with pulling myself away from it to do other things!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM
WAHM Regular

I think time management is the biggest issue.

I'm grateful every day for my daughter's easy-going ability to entertain herself!

The other struggle I had just working from home for someone else, that still is there running my own business, is seeing all the stuff around the house that needs to be done too. It's tough to walk through a cluttered house and re-focus on work in the office!

Becki