Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Which is better? Owning or direct sales?

Which is better - to own your own food business or be involved in a direct sales food business.

Owning your own business gives you 100% of the profits. In a direct sales food business, the commissions range from 20 to 40 percent... or more ?

Whether you sell your famous chocolate pie, for example, at a local farmers market or depend on other people to book and actually hold parties, I would really like your opinion on this question.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 AM
WAHM Regular

Well, I guess it would depend on the responsibility you want to take on. With some DS companies you DO own your own biz...such as with Tastefully Simple, which is what I do. But, the biggest difference is your investment which is TINY compared to what it actually costs to open your own. When you open your own you have HUGE overhead....liability insurance, health code issues and way more headaches. Not to say its not worth it in the end, but you work alot harder than if you have a DS biz. I have done both, owning by own business (not food related though) and I will say being with Tastefully Simple is the easiest thing I have ever done....and, I am very successful with it so I know I made the right choice.

I would also say your heart needs to be in whatever you choose. Passion for ANYTHING in life is the key to success.

Hope it helps!! and good luck in whatever you choose to do

~Cara Hayden
Team Mentor/Tastefully Simple

Last edited by liz.jewels; 12-03-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Remove link at bottom of post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Sales

Owning has its benefits, but sales has less headaches
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Direct sales has lower start-up costs, fewer product headaches, and it's easier to take a vacation.

You get 100% of the profits with your own businesses, but it's much higher startup costs, legal filings, registrations with the health department and complying with their requirements on product creation, packaging, and labeling.

It's a much bigger step to do your own business, and it's much more difficult to take time off.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Awesome WAHM

I have looked into owning my own business for years. In the end, I decided that the financial investment, time, liability, and RISK was not what I wanted to do. Many small business owners end up working for wages because of all the overhead. You will learn so much about being a business owner by being an independent sales representative for a company and product line that you love.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 AM
WAHM Regular

Direct marketing has cheaper starting costs, less product complications, and it's easier to take a holiday getaway.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

I did not think about being able to take vacation. Great point!