Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered WAHM

Default What is your number 1 tip for losing weight?

I need to lose some weight and have tried so many times. Just wondering what has worked for everyone.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Fitness has two main components, exercise and diet. (By diet, I don't mean "going on a diet", I mean simply what one eats.) Improving in both areas is important to losing weight.

There is a great blog, Fitness Blog, Workout Routines, Nutrition Facts, Beauty : @LovingFit, that I follow. Thanks to it, I'm in the best shape of my life. The lady posts free workouts several times a week and offers all sorts of diet and lifestyle advice. Try giving it a go
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Grand WAHM

portion control and daily exercise. No shakes, No magic pills, No starvation.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I haven't tried this but my brothers coworkers all do it and I've seen changes. What they do is strictly go on a no carb no sugar diet. So basically eat anything that doesn't contain those two ingredients.

I love sweets so I couldn't get myself to do it
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned

Try eating small balanced meals of about 250 calories every 3 to 4 hours. Eat within 1 hour of waking. Make sure each meal contains good quality protein, carbs and good fats.

The key is to keep your blood sugar stable so as to keep your metabolism humming along and to keep you from having food cravings. You will actually feel like you are eating more food. Its not the quantity but the combination and the quality that are key.

Combine with some daily exercise (walking is good) and it works. You will lose inches as well as weight and you will keep the weight off!

If you would like some more detailed info feel free to PM me and I'll send it over.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Registered WAHM

I won't address the topic of diet or fitness because probably you are already an expert in it, however I will address the topic of psychology.

Overeating is basically a problem of "self". We try to please ourselfs by eating. Therefore you need to address the "self" in order to go on a diet.

First of all, love your body. Thnik of it as an amazing, one-time thing. How can you stuff such a beautiful thing with mcdonalds? ugrh..

Then, do not make long-term goals etc. Think like this: I will only not eat this muffin today...Every other day I can eat as many muffins as I want... etc etc.

I recommend wyne dyer and his tapes "how to be a non-limit person" if you want to improve your self-esteem and change weight in the long-term

Last edited by friduita; 05-30-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:52 PM
WAHM Addict

pH balance - Research body acidity and/or body pH balance and weight loss/gain.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered WAHM

Thanks everyone, your tips are very helpful!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Registered WAHM

I would just like to start this with saying i used to be a food addict. If you think you are a food addict i suggest you try to see a therapist because just diet and exercise will not be enough in most cases. Getting over a food addiction is a lot harder than drugs or alcohol because every day of your life to have to have what your addicted to, or you will die, literally. I would also like to say that fallowing this advice i have gone from 327 pounds to 184 in a little over 2 year and i'm currently a size 16. I never saw a nutritional-ist or a personal trainer and have never set foot in a gym.

I had to post on this, no carbs and no sugars is the stupidest thing i have ever herd and it so sad that many Americans fall victim to this ploy. Cutting out carbs and sugar cuts out the two food groups that will help you lose weight the most. Fruits and veggies! (Carbs aren't just bread) these diets tell you to eat what ever you want as long as its not a carb and expect the pounds to fall off and then it doesn't work they say its because you weren't strong enough. Cutting out food groups doesn't ever work because you get miserable you miss your chips, your big macs, cheese, the forbidden mayo, and god forbid you put salad dressing on your salad! Eating a balanced diet is KEY to you losing weight, that includes fruits, veggies, proteins, and yes fats. You wont lose weight as fast as cutting your calories down to 700 per day, but you will lose fat not muscle, be happier and healthier, and be able to stick to it because you can still eat the foods that you love and made you fat in the first place, you just need to learn how to control those foods.

Few things i will start with salad, FULL fat salad dressings are way better for you their their lite and fat free versions. 1) you need fat to absorb what is in the salad, so if u cut the fat out of the salad dressing you need to add it somewhere else like cheese or nuts. this doesn't mean you can use a half a bottle of ranch dressing and still think your eating healthy, it still is calories and it still is fat, you need to portion control (really hard to do) 2) a lot of these have hyfructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners, these things are really bad for you no matter what the company tries to tell you. (Stevia the new wonder sweetener causes infertility btw)

Eating after 7 wont make you fat, neither will eating before bed time. The body doesn't digest foods any differently. If you need a late night snack, make it something healthy, what causes the weight gain is that for a lot of people, when they eat after 7 or right before bed they make bad choices.

My advice for portion control is when ever you can (yes i know they are all way more expensive) buy products that come in individual packaging, its easier to stop yourself from grabbing more packets than you should than to not add an extra knife full of mayo.(i do this its worth the extra money) if you like potato chips the assorted bags of mini bags is great, put the bag out of site so you don't see it every time you go into the kitchen and resist the urged to have a second bag, which is a lot easier to do then to stop yourself from finishing off the last of the family sized bag you've been munching on for the last hour.

Wait I thought I was talking about weight loss why am I encouraging you to eat chips? If you like junk food, fast food, soda, generally anything bad for you, cutting it out of your life most likely wont last long and will end up in a binge, your not going to be happy eating a sandwich on whole wheat bread minus the mayo, cheese, and meat. That being send you do need to limit these things. Avoid soda if you can, but most people cant its addictive, i know. Try to have a rule that for every soda you have (absolute maximum of 3 a day although 1 is better and 0 is best) drink a BOTTLE of water, (Notice that i didn't say glass?) that is at least 24 oz. If you eat fast food a lot limit yourself to no more than one meal a day, and try to work yourself down to one meal a week. Keep these meals reasonable, don't order 3 value meals and eat them all! When you go out to eat at a restaurant, some people suggest that when you get your meal that you put half of it in a take out box. I have two views on this. 1) if you don't eat out a lot, enjoy yourself, eat till your full then ask for a box and put the rest away so you're not tempted to keep picking at it. 2) if you opt for putting it away when you first get your meal ask yourself this, are you going to eat that left overs with in 2 hours of getting home? if the answer is yes then don't bother, enjoy your meal, stop when your full and put the rest away. If you can resit the urge to eat the left overs the same night more power to you and put away half the meal before you start if you want. (I don't suggest you do this on nice outings, first dates, or special events)

Eating more small meals is better for you than getting fewer large ones because you never get to that really hunger state where you over eat because you haven't eaten all day. If you get hungry during the day EAT, don't wait until your next meal because you'll be more likely to crack and eat something bad for you if you wait till your really really hungry. First trying drinking some water to see if your thirsty and not really hungry, this is a mistake a lot of people make. then eat something lite like carrots or an apple and wait 25 minutes. If your still hungry eat a small portion of protein, a serving of nuts or some cheese and crackers.

A lot of people say exercise but that's not really the whole truth. They say you should exercise 45 minutes 3 days a week, a lot of people think that's an active life style. There are 168 hours in a week, if you exercise for 45 minutes 3 days a week and live a relativity seditary life style the rest of the time, your only moving for 2.25 hours a week, still seem active? You need to have an aerobic exercise, a weight training exercise, and be active. Which really isn't a lot of work. Do 2, 45 minute aerobic workouts, and 1 strength training a week, if your more fit by all means work out more often. But you should ALSO go for an hour walk a day. This doesn't have to be in one lump sum, in fact its actually better if you break this up into 3 20 minutes walks a day. This man did a huge study on it (i feel really bad for him it has been reduced to fidgeting)

I'm sorry to say, as much as everyone will deny it, losing weight is a lot harder for women and even harder for older women. Its a hormonal thing, if your just starting menopause or are past menopause i suggest you get a check up and get blood work done. Your weight gain, and your inability to lose that weight might not be because of your eating. You will need to control your food and your exercise more than someone who's not having hormonal imbalances.

I would like to make one comment on soy. Soy acts like a weak estrogen when digested and can lead to breast cancer. Its advised that if you have breast cancer in the family that you eat soy products no more than a few times a month.

I'm on a very controlled eating program, every Sunday i plan out my weeks meals and the night before I do any prep-work that's needed for my food the next day. I take 3 30 minute walks a day on a treadmill (one when i wake up, one in the afternoon, and one 2 hours before i go to bed), and i work out 4 days a week, i do aerobic tapes each of those days and then 2 of those days i also do a strength training.

I would also like to add, if your not happy with yourself, looking for inner beauty and to accept yourself for who you are isn't the way to go. if you want to make changes to your life and your body more power to you! while you should never try to reach perfection, because lest face it you will never get there even with a lot of surgery, you have the right to try to obtain a body that your comfortable with and that you love. maybe that's a size 2 maybe its a size 12, but you deserve to try to get where you want to be. I would love to be a size 5 and be able to wear a bikini at the beach, but i'm content with my goal of being a size 12, and trying to reach that will do far more for me than convincing myself that i'm ok with my body even though deep down i know i'm really not. If you have a goal for what you would like to look like it is possible, don't settle for something else because your told you should be ok with what you look like now

Last edited by Willynilly; 06-03-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Banned

Smile

You make some really excellent points. Congratulations on your weight loss!

People should take your advice on meal planning for the week. That is so critical it can be the difference between success and failure. Again congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your story!