Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Cheap/natural appetie suppressants

Ok, Dh and I think we found the reason for my rapid weight gain -as doctors/meds are not easy right now

I had to stop my seizure/migraine med b/c of cost - it did help me lose weight and controlled my appetite - (topamax) but it has been since I stopped it that the weight came back

SO I need something natural/cheap I can do
Drinking water does not help

but I need to find a way I am not hungry - during the afternoon/early evening I am normally not hungry it's at night when DH is at work and I'm alone and bored - (i normally don't fall asleep until after he gets home from work 3-4am)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 04:09 AM
WAHM Regular

Smile A couple of suggestions

I don't know anything about the cost of your prescription (topamax) but our company has a discounted prescription program and there are other prescription discount programs out there. Sometimes the company that manufactures the drug helps people who can't afford it.

As to the weight issue, it may not be how much you eat but what you eat and in what combinations that is doing you in. I am finding the program our spokesperson laid out is working wonders for overeating and cravings.

And, if you follow the program you can eat before you go to bed!!! If you would like more info or just to chat, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Alison728; 01-22-2012 at 04:10 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
WAHM Addict

How's your sleeping? Not getting enough sleep could be one factor. I say try a high quality protein shake to help you feel satisfied. I have two YES shakes a day (while losing weight) and it helps tremendously.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
WAHM Fanatic

It sounds like you are eating in the middle of the night because you are bored and lonely. Is there a particular reason you wait for your DH to get home before you go to sleep? It sounds like a great solution for you might be to go to bed around midnight and sleep through your normal hours of boredom. Even if DH is still sleeping when you get up in the morning, since it's daylight you're less likely to eat out of boredom, and you might feel like taking a walk, or calling a friend, or something like that.

As Alison noted above, it can make a difference what you eat, because some foods make you feel full longer than others, despite having the same amount of calories.

But how much you eat in calories DOES matter, as I noted in your other thread. It's the most important thing about eating - more important than what or when you eat. Once you have calories under control, it will help to ensure you're getting those calories from high quality whole foods, but you really need to be aware of the calories first. If you've eaten your daily allotment, and you get hungry at 2am and are still awake, try chewing stick of sugar free gum or have a cup of tea. Don't eat when you're out of calories for the day. As you do this more and more, your body will adjust, and you won't feel so hungry.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
WAHM Regular

Liz - part of the reason I wait up is b/c he always wakes me and if I get woken up I stay awake - I can sleep for 1 hour and not be able to go back to sleep!
sometimes I am awake for 20-24 hours before I am able to fall asleep - I HATE IT

I miss ambien lol - my sleep has gotten worse since I moved out of the hotel
Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered WAHM

well there is always coffee... but i dont think that will help you with your sleep. you can try mint... drinking mint tea,chewing mint gum, or brushing your teeth before you eat anything will make the food much less appetizing. and never skip breakfast! it slows down your metabolism and you end up making up the calories elsewhere. keep apples on hand for snacking... green veggies too because you can eat tons and not rack up the calories... thats all i got. goodluck
Old 01-24-2012, 05:37 AM
WAHM Regular

I mentioned in another thread, try to stay away from artificial sweetners. I know you mentioned you wanted a suggestion for an appetite suppressant, I do not know of any. Things like Splenda can trigger cravings--here's a crazy thing-- I used to drink a Diet Dr. Pepper and then would find myself munching on Goldfish...talk about contradiction, boy was I being counterproductive! Try eliminating the artificial sweetners and see if that helps curb your appetite. Good luck!

Yone
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I actually just started drinking brewed chocolate (ground cocoa beans instead of coffee beans - brew it like coffee). It's really good and only 20 calories a cup, plus lower in caffeine than coffee.

It might be something you could check out!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Have you tried gelatin?

I found some gelatin capsules in with the vitamins at walmart. they are only a few bucks for a months supply and they have been helping me fill full. I used to be one of those people that was munching on something every 30 minutes or starving. These help me fill full in between normal meals.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Keeping your blood sugar level is an excellent way to eliminate cravings completely. it is just a matter of eating every 3 to 4 hours and balancing each meal. That is free and easier than you think if you take the time to learn how.