Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
WAHM Regular

I am just curious if anyone takes any supplements or diet pills... I have been dieting and exercising since April. I lost 27lbs and would like to lose another 20 but I haven't been able to lose anything the last 4 weeks. I had a few people at the gym suggest diet pills they said take them for 4 weeks and it will help you and then you can go back to your regular work outs as usual.

I thought before I try something like that I would ask on here because I feel like I have always been able to get good feed back on here.

Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions also. I am alway open to suggestions. Also my goal is to lose the extra 20lbs by christmas. I don't know if I will make it now.

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 10:31 AM
WAHM Addict

Hey Jen welcome to the forum![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] First of all, congrats on your weight loss so far!!![img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

I have tried every diet pill on the market (or pretty close too it) They are very dangerous. Many have a ton of caffeine and other harsh stimulants that can negatively effect the heart. What's more you become dependent upon them and usually gain all the weight back after you stop taking them. I recently tried 2 non stimulant types of diet pills meant to address appetite and such but didn't see much of a difference. Sure you can lose weight with diet pills, but the question is, are you using fat?

Can you share with us what a typical day of eating might look like for you? I've found the key to controlling hunger is eating 2-300 calories every 2-3 hours with each meal containing at least a lean protein and some form of produce. I also cut out all white processed carbs and even starchy carbs. The reason being is after years of overeating my body has become Leptin & Insulin resistant which means no matter what I do my body burns sugar and stores fat, meaning I can gain and maintain, but losing is a struggle.

Also how's your workout routine? You may want to try a totally different rountine to shock your muscles into burning fat again. Increase resistance and try some different moves. Make incorporate a home workout program or sign up for a class at the gym. The body is a fearfully and wonderfully made machine that adapts quickly. It is designed NOT to lose weight so in essence we have to keep our bodies guessing in order to reach new levels of leanness.

Well that's my mini novel.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] The ladies here are a wealth of support and knowledge and I'm sure they'll chime in here shortly![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
WAHM Regular

Thank you very much FV Mom. I am doing small meals every 3-4 hours. They consist of protein, fruits and vegetables only occasional carbs. I am sticking to a low fat diet.

My workout routine Mon, Wed, Fri I run 5-6 miles Tues, Thurs and Sat I do weights and resistance. I take Sunday off. I need a break lol. I will also walk 2 or 3 days a week when my kids are at practice.

I will try mixing it up a bit maybe that is all I need with my workout routine. I really can't afford a trainer right now that is why I am asking on here.

Thanks again I alway like to hear what other people have to say because alot of times you miss something and then someone says it and you can look at it in a different light.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen4c
Thank you very much FV Mom. I am doing small meals every 3-4 hours. They consist of protein, fruits and vegetables only occasional carbs. I am sticking to a low fat diet.

My workout routine Mon, Wed, Fri I run 5-6 miles Tues, Thurs and Sat I do weights and resistance. I take Sunday off. I need a break lol. I will also walk 2 or 3 days a week when my kids are at practice.

I will try mixing it up a bit maybe that is all I need with my workout routine. I really can't afford a trainer right now that is why I am asking on here.

Thanks again I alway like to hear what other people have to say because alot of times you miss something and then someone says it and you can look at it in a different light.
Maybe you should try replacing your running with high intensity intervals and your resistance routing With supersets? Like instead of running 5-6 miles try this:

Warm up for 2 minutes
Run as hard and as fast ans you can for 1 minute
Easy jog for 2 minutes

Repeat 5 times.

There's a program called Fit Yummy Mummy, Turbulence Training (both ebooks) as well as one I offer called 10 Minute Trainer (which is a home workout) that incorporates supersets and intervals. It burns fat fast![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM
WAHM Master

Jen,

Congrats on your 27 lbs lost! I agree, our bodies are great at adapting to whatever activity we've been doing over time. You may just need to change it up a bit to kick things back into gear.

You've got a pretty high activity level, so make sure you're getting enough calories, protein & complex carbs to fuel that. Running burns up a ton of calories.

I use protein shakes, bars (as additions to my daily food intake) and other nutritional supplements, but not diet pills. You could try drinking green tea daily, because it's been found to have fat burning properties.

Take care and keep us posted!
JennEdited by: happymommy
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hello Jen!

Welcome to the boards and congrats on losing 27 lbs already!

I agree with Jenn... our bodies are very smart so we should always be looking to mix up our workouts to give our bodies a shock.

As Kassandra mentioned, HIIT training is really good at burning fat. With intervals, you'll achieve more fat burning results in less workout time.

I am personally competing in a Turbulence Training Challenge right now and I cannot give anything but praise about this program. Fit Yummy Mummy is the same as Turbulence Training but geard more towards mom's & females. Beach Body's 10 minutes trainer is awesome as well. You can do all these programs from the comfort of your own home.

As far as supplements go... I am not a big advocate of them. However,I do have to say thatSOME help fill in gaps that whole foods miss and can get you out of last minute situations where you need a quick meal.

Examples of what I use are:
<UL>
<LI>Whey Protein Powder
<LI>EAS RTD (ready to drink) shakes
<LI>Prenatal Multivitamins (gotta start getting this body prepared for next year)
<LI>Fish Oil Capsules
<LI>Vitamin C
<LI>Calcium
<LI>Evening Primose Oil Capsules
<LI>L-Glutamine - Post Workout
<LI>BCAA’s - Post Workout </LI>[/list]

I do not use fat burner's because i've had really bad experiences with them.
I hope that you find what you are looking for and if you need any additional help, let us know!

Take care &amp; have a wonderful day!

~ Vilma
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Awesome WAHM

If you are not taking in enough carbs for your amount of running then your body is attempting to burn fat and protein, which is harder to burn. You should actually eat more carbs than protein and fat with a high cardio routine as protein and fat are harder to burn. Your body will go to burn the carbs first because they are easier. Also as someone else posted if you are not getting enough calories to sustain your running (about 500 calories a pop if you are going for 5 miles, which is quite a bit), then your body will not burn efficiently and you'll see a weight loss stall, if not a slight gain. Also, if you consistently run 5 miles at the same pace, your body may have adapted to that. You should either do a lower mileage day with speed work or do interval training with the running.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 AM
Registered WAHM

I think supplements are a lot safer than pills, especially the natural ones. But if you are running a lot like you mention, then the weight should certainly start coming off soon.

Good luck!

Tina

Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Supplements, yes. Diet pills, no!

So many Americans do not eat enough healthy, lean protein and feel tired and cranky! (I can say that, because thatused to beME!)