Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi Workout Pros,

I have been working out for about 2 years (elliptical, outdoor walking and weights).

Very recently, when I do my outdoor walking...I have bad pains in the front of my legs and the "front" of my ankles. I have to stop, sit down and rub my legs and ankles. I can't imagine what is causing this pain at this point since I am not new to exercise. It doesn't really feel like cramps.

Any ideas??

Shana
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Awesome WAHM

So sorry to hear how you are feeling. The 1st thing that popped into my head was Shin splints. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints
I get them every once in a while and what I do is rub them down with ICE HOT or any other ointment or ice them for a good 20 minutes.

Here is a link for treatments:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DKUS&pwst=1&q=shin+sp lints+more:condition_treatment&cx=disease_for_ patients&sa=N&oi=cooptsr&resnum=0& ct=col1&cd=1

I hope this helps.

~ Vilma
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Awesome WAHM

I'm sorry to hear about your soreness Shana[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]

Shin splints are definitely a possibility. It could also be a minor strain of the tibialis muscle that runs along the front of your leg from knee to ankle. Sometimes this can become sore when your calf muscles are tight or if you recently changed footwear, your walking route, etc. Has anything changed in your walking routine recently?

Coni

Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thanks ladies. Shin splints had crossed my mind. I have changed my routine a bit the last few days due to me breaking a welded area on my elliptical. I was doing more outdoor walking to compensate for missing my elliptical training. Did not think it would make so much difference since I always "feel" like I get a better workout on the elliptical.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

You never know how your body will respond when you switch things up. If you feel like you need to strengthen that area to prevent pain in the future you could try doing calf raises with your toes pointed in, that's always worked for me. Also, just plain old toe taps during your warm up should alleviate the discomfort too.

I hope your shins feels better soon!

Coni

Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 PM
WAHM Addict

When I stop walking for a while and then start again, I get shin splints. I try to walk regularly so that doesn't happen to me.

I also find that if I haven't done uphills for a while and then walk some up hills, my legs will hurt the next day.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
WAHM Regular

How are you feeling now? Is it easing up with continuing the new routine? Could it be as simple as that-your body needing to get used to its new work?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM
WAHM Master

I'm a little late on this, so I hope you're feeling better by now. Yes, any tiny little change in walking/running surface can cause shin splints. Also, if your shoes are too old, new or just not right for you it can cause them. Ice massage can be very helpful...Take a paper cup and fill it 3/4 to the top and freeze it. Take it out, peel the paper down so the ice is exposed l(leave yourself some paper to hold onto) and use it to massage the sore muscles up & down your leg. You'll especially want to do this after your workouts to reduce the inflammation.

Take care!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Registered WAHM

I suffer from the exact same problems. My feet almost become numb and I have to stop and rest them because they are quite painful.

It doesn't happen every time but I know it is down to the fact that I don't walk a lot.

Note to self - Start walking more!

Tina