Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Super WAHM

I usually go through phases where I eat a lot of deli meat (turkey and chicken), i.e. 3 - 4 ounces about once a day. Then I'll stop for a while because I get sick of it. I know deli meat is not the best because it's processed, but it's quick, easy and a good source of protein. I am wondering if anyone knows the cons.

Also, I usually get Boar's Head, but recently came across Jennie-O, a subsidiary of Hormel, and Jennie-O is significantly less expensive than Boar's Head (about $5 a pound for Jennie-O vs. $9 for Boar's Head). I liked the Jennie-O and the nutritional info is about the same as Boar's Head, but the skeptic in me thinks there must be a reason for the price difference and was wondering if anyone know about that. I did a google search and couldn't find anything positive or negative.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi Lisa,

The only negative thing I can think of about deli meat is it's higher fat and sodium content. I too eat deli meat (oven rosted turkey & chicken) but try to limit my intake because I am prone to retain a lot of water when I consume a lot of sodium.

I've never heard of Boar's Head... but I do use Jennie-O products all the time. For me right now, it's finding products that are cheap but healthy. I always buy meat that is 92% and above in regards to the fat content. And I try and get meat that does not have fillers or hormones.

Here is an article that I found about deli meats:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276/

I hope this helps. Have a GREAT day!

~ Vilma
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Super WAHM

I only get turkey and chicken deli meats and only the ones that are 99% fat free. Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out right now :-)

FYI, in case anyone wants to know, I found the Jennie-O meats at a WalMart Super Center. Boar's Head is one of the more reputable brands, but perhaps it's a regional brand too which may explain why you haven't heard of it??

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
WAHM Addict

Boar's Head sounds so gross![img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] I tend to enjoy living in my dilusionary world and wish to be remindeed as least often as possiblt that the yummy goodness I am eating is the flesh of a dead animal[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] The biggest difference I've seen is all things being equal, the cheaper brands are about the same.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 PM
WAHM Master

Lisa,

I wanted to let you know, I do eat Boar's Head turkey and chicken. I know it has more sodium than preparing turkey & chicken breast myself. However, I love it and it's got lots of protein and very little fat. The reason I stick with Boar's Head brand, is because there are no artificial colors or flavors. I've only eaten Boar's Head, so I'm not saying other brands do...I've just never looked at them. I've been buying their new All Natural selections, because they have no added hormones or antibiotics. I add it to my salads for protein or will often have it with some wheat crackers for a snack. I try to use meat/poultry I've prepared myself, but do like to have sliced turkey/chicken on hand for convenience!

You're right...I think it's a regional thing, so not everyone has heard of it. FVMom, I have no clue why they picked that name. I'm just so used to it, it doesn't phase me! lol
Old 09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Super WAHM

FVMon, LOL, too funny. The name itself never bothered me, but when there is a wait at the deli counter and I start looking around, I notice the picture of the boar on the meat in the display case.

But now that you mentioned it, I'll never think of it the same way again....THANKS!!!!!!

happymommy, I think I knew about the higher sodium and while I know it should concern me, it's not something I am overly cautious about. I am more concerned about eating foods that are low or "good" fat, low carb (or veggies and other "good carb" foods), high proteinand lately I've also been trying to steer clear of processed foods, especiallysugars and keep natural sugars (like in fruit) to a minimum. That's enough for now, but I'm sure sodium will be added to my list at some point! You should see me at the grocery store reading labels. Especially if one of the kids are with me and I'm trying to check out something new. I go into a little trance trying to decide if I should get it or not.

And since we are on the subject of deli meat, I tried Pastrami seasoned turkey since it was on sale at Publix and it was really yummy!!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
WAHM Master

I'm sorta the same way. It's not that I don't worry about sodium, but I just don't eat that many other things that are high in itand I really limit using salt. So, I figure if my Boar's Head lunch meat, which islow-fat &high protein,is the only place I'm getting the extra sodium, I'm doing OK! I remember trying the Pastrami Turkey a long time ago and really liking it! Thanks for the heads-up on the sale! It's time for a change up in flavors anyway!
I hear ya on the label reading...It takes me FOREVER to get through the store if I'm experimenting at all & buying things out of my norm. Drives me nuts, but you gotta read those labels!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBringTheSpa2U
happymommy, I think I knew about the higher sodium and while I know it should concern me, it's not something I am overly cautious about. I am more concerned about eating foods that are low or "good" fat, low carb (or veggies and other "good carb" foods), high protein and lately I've also been trying to steer clear of processed foods, especially sugars and keep natural sugars (like in fruit) to a minimum.
High sodium content is another link to it being processed. Processed is not in it's natural state. We eat a good bit of deli meat, don't get me wrong. But do not mistake it for being unprocessed. Even the deli meat that is outrageously priced at the grocery store is processed. For almost $10 a pound I except better.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 AM
WAHM Master

When and if I eat deli meat, I always get the All Natural Selections.I've never checked the sodium content in it, though. It's actually the only brand my grocery store carries that doesn't have the "junk" in it that other brands do. The only downside is it has to be eaten pretty quickly because without all the junk, it doesn't have a very long shelf life.
Actually, everything that you buy from the store is processed unless it's raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking in any way, freezing in any way, etc., means a food is processed. I have decided to use the term "junk" instead of "processed" because really, it would be incredibly difficult to get away from any sort of processing unless you eat nothing but raw foods.