Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 AM
WAHM Addict

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-diaries_N.htm

<DIV =inside-copy>Dieters who write down everything they eat each day lose twice as much weight as those who don't, according to one of the largest weight-loss studies ever conducted.
This confirms the importance of keeping a food diary — advice that nutritionists and weight-loss programs have pushed for years.
Scientists at four clinical research centers recruited 1,685 overweight or obese adults who weighed an average 212 pounds. Forty-four percent were African Americans.
The participants were offered 20 weekly group sessions led by nutritionists and behavior counselors and encouraged to try to lose at least 9 pounds in six months. They were told to consume about 500 fewer calories a day, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, do about 180 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity a week, and keep daily food and exercise records.

<DIV =inside-copy>CREATE YOUR OWN: Download our Weight-Loss Challenge food and exercise diary
<DIV =inside-copy>INSTRUCTIONS: How to track your calories with the Excel log
<DIV =inside-copy>BLOG SQUAD: Kelly Rhoads shares journaling advice

The findings reported in the August issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine:
•Dieters who kept their food diary six or more days a week lost an average of about 18 pounds in six months, compared with about 9 pounds for those who didn't keep food diaries.
•The biggest losers also attended most of the group meetings and did more exercise. Some did 300 minutes or more of physical activity a week, but the average participant in the study did about 117 minutes a week.
•69% of the participants lost 9 pounds or more, which is enough to improve some health measures such as blood pressure, joint pain and pre-diabetes.
•69% of black men and 59% of black women lost at least 9 pounds.
"There is a misconception that nobody can lose weight, but in this study, two-thirds of them lost enough weight to make a difference to their health," says Victor Stevens, senior investigator at the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research in Portland, Ore. The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute sponsored the study.
These weight-loss techniques work well with everybody, including African Americans, who are often underrepresented in studies and yet suffer from a high rate of obesity and weight-related illnesses, he says.
Food diaries are a "powerful self-management technique. They help you figure out where the extra calories are coming from," he says. It works best if someone else looks over your food record. "When you put yourself in a position where you are accountable for your behavior, it changes behavior."
Many people are getting lots of extra calories by eating large portions at restaurants, Stevens says. He is currently working with a client who was consuming 1,500 calories of fast food at lunch. The dieter is now bringing a 500-calorie lunch to work, saving 1,000 calories a day.
Dawn Jackson Blatner, a registered dietitian in Chicago, tells people that a food diary "is the best way to monitor every crumb, morsel, nibble, sip, swallow and bite you take."
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 05:44 AM
WAHM Addict

This article give a pretty complex diary, but what I do is simply keep a cheapy palm sized notepad on me and write down what I eat as I eat it. Then at the end of the day check www.calorieking.com to see the number of cals I consumed that day.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Super WAHM

Another thing Kassandra that works is eating 6 meals a day. I've been doing that for about 1 month and have lost 5 lbs. I eat a breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. I use the body for life program and let me tell you, I'm eating healthier and have more energy. I also eat the Special K protein bar (double chocolate) and they are delicious. Also, only water. I used to be a cokaholic (3-4 cokes a day) and I stopped drinking it July31. I've only had 2 glasses of soda since then and I'm noticing a change in my figure. I would recommend body for life to anyone who is serious about loosingweight and becoming healthier.Edited by: hasbun1998
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
WAHM Master

Definitely agree about the food diary. It took me some time to really start doing it but ever since then it's the best thing I have ever done. Sure it's a bit annoying sometimes to write everything down but it's worth it to me.

Thanks for sharing Kass. I'll have to take a look at those links soon.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM
WAHM Addict

I've had a rough 24 hours with food. I can't stop eating it LOL. I did a buffet for lunch today. I did have a choice. I could've ordered off the menu, but I ordered the buffet and like I seem to do, just ate more than I should have.

Had I been keeping a diary I would not have eaten that much. I'm seriously thinking about going back to logging everything.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:21 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I agree about the food diary, BUT...

After a few weeks of doing it, I start HATING myself. I spend a lot of time entering foods eaten into the diary, I obsess over calories. And then if it doesn't result in weight loss, I get really depressed.

Having a food diary just makes me so psychotic that I can't even stand myself.

Love,
Shannon

Old 08-30-2008, 08:20 PM
WAHM Master

I like keeping track of my calories...It's amazing how fast they add up.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM
WAHM Addict

Shannon,

I've been down that path too. That's why I stopped using a diary, I was obsessing with it too much. However, I also know that those past 24 hours would not have had so much food in them had I been keeping a diary.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Super WAHM

I have been keeping a diary on and off for the past 5 years. I think it's just another tool that can be helpful with weight loss. But I also agree with lilmisssunshine that it can be counterproductive if you get too obsessed with it.

It has definitely helped me when I am first starting out on a weight loss journey. But it has hurt me when I feel like I don't have, or just don't want to, keep track, and it's also a real downer when the weight isn't coming off.

I am using one now and it's definitely helpful to me at the moment. But I've also been super busy the past few weeks and have skipped some days here and there. However, in the midst of being so busy, I have remained committed to staying on track with my current weight loss and fitness goals, so being diligent about keeping the food diary has helped me set good habits and eating patterns that have helped me through this busy time.

I'm going to check out those links you posted. They look really interesting!