Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
WAHM Regular

I really, really need to lose weight. The problem is I am completely unmotivated. I know it is seriously affecting my health (my heart in particular) but even this has not been enough to motivate me. Isn't that sad ? I am just wondering what the rest of you do to motivate yourself ? What "inspired" or helped you tackle losing weight ? I really need a kick in the pants.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2008, 05:28 PM
WAHM Addict

I want to look good. I want to feel good.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
WAHM Regular

Feeling good is what motivates me. That and the fact that I can't afford to gain weight because I can't afford a new wardrobe!

One suggestion that was given to me on keeping motivation is buying a new exercise outfit. That worked for me.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 AM
WAHM Master

Hi there,

I think the main thing is you just have to findthe desire tochangewithin yourself and find whatever IT is that motivates you. It was a # of things for me:

I wanted the energy to play with my son.
I wanted to be a good example for him.
I just wanted to feel well...tired of being tired!
I wanted to look good...I didn't recognize or feel like myself heavier.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.
Jenn
Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 AM
WAHM Addict

You know a bit of what happened to me is my clothes were getting tight yet again. I really didn't want to buy new clothes. Plus, as I mentioned above, I wanted to feel good and look good.

When those pounds start coming off, you feel good emotionally and you feel good physically.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 AM

I think because I have a lot of weight to lose, it is hard for me to get started. It just seems so overwhelming and I have such a long way to go ya know ? I know I should just do it, but I never seem to. If I just start I don't ever have to be this size again.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Super WAHM

If you have a lot of weight to lose, I'd suggest breaking it down into smaller, more manageable goals to make it less overwhelming. Let's say, for example, you weigh 250 and want to lose 100 pounds overall. First start with a goal to lose 10% of your weight, or 25 pounds. Don't even think of the 100 pounds, just think in terms of that first 10%. Once you get there, 225 pounds, maybe your next goal would be to get below 200. As you hit those mini-goals, you will notice that you look and feel better and I'll bet you'll be getting lots of compliments from those who know you. That should help motivate you to keep going.

As far as how to get there, you have lots of diet options. The main thing is that you need to change your eating and exercise habits. Find a plan you can stick with for the long haul. Perhaps ask your doctor for a plan that would work for you. Make small changes and as you make those chages, they will need to become sustainable habits. Find support and this forum is one great way to do that. Let your family and friends know what you want to achieve so they can support you. Nothing irks me more than when someone shoves a huge piece of cake in my face and says "here you deserve it, you must have it."But I've found that if that person knows what I am trying to achieve they would never do that.

It's not easy, but it will be worth it.

As far as what motivated me, I want to look good and feel healthier. I don't want to be the "fat mom," and I want my kids to learn healthy habits a young age. I also want my clothes to fit again. I got really sick and tired of having a red mark around my waist at the end of every day because my pants are too tight.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi diffuesery,

I have a lot of weight to lose also. Actually about 79 lbs. I have tried many ways/plans/diets over the years. Never really had any direction, didn't know what the heck I was doing.

I bought a book by Dr. Atkins...Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I've been reading it and also visiting the message board at wwwdotatkinscenterdotcom.

The book really puts things into focus for me. I needed something to follow, something in writing, and I finally found it. The whole controlled carb way of eating just makes sense to me now.

My Trig. are at 397....That's REALLY bad.But I now know this controlled carb way of eating plus exercise will help that number come down. Dr. Atkins was a strong advocate for daily exercise too.

Sometimes it just takes trying different things in order to find the one thing we can live with. I don't look at my new way of eating as a Diet. I look at it as a way of getting healthy and feeling better with the side benefits of losing weight and inches.

This is not something I jumped into. I have taken my time, read-read-read! But, I didn't want to go on information overload and that's why I bought the book. Then, I went to the website to ask questions for clarification.

You need to find what fits you. Controlled Carb may not be what you want. However, before you totally say NO, you should at least visit the website, read the informaiton, and go thru the lessons. Get the information you need to make an informed decision.

First and foremost, you have to have the right mindset, if you're not ready mentally, then losing weight is something that will turn into a chore - at least that has been my experience.

The Motivation has to come from within. If you dig deep enough, you will find it.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:05 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I think the hardest part about getting motivated to lose weight is the idea of how many things you have to give up. For example, you may be thinking things like:

*I'll never be able to eat a piece of cake/chips/cookies/etc. again,
*I have to exercise for hours every day to look the way I want.
*I have to wake up early to exercise.
*I have to cook a separate meal for me and my family

and so on (whatever your personal demons are).

I was always happy when I was fat. It might sound crazy, but it's true. I never had any body image issues when I was fat. In fact, in some ways I think I had a better body image then than I do now (well, don't count the pregnancy...talking about before that.).

I always thought I was just fat. It's the way I was meant to be. I never had any bad medical things.

Then one day I was diagnosed with PCOS. This can affect your weight and your ability to conceive. Even thought I wasn't with anyone at the time, I was devastated. I remember that I was in Vegas celebrating my brother's 21st birthday and how as we were driving home, I just broke down and started crying.

A friend of mine also had PCOS and she was 100lbs heavier than I was (it turns out that I don't have the insulin resisitance problems, but I didn't know this at the time). While I was OK with my weight at 220lbs or so, it was hard to imagine being 350. And then to not be able to have a baby! (And this happened at a time when my friend had an "oops" pregnancy.)

That was kinda my first kick in the butt. But then I just made small changes. I looked up some info about PCOS and saw that many women had success with low-carb diets. (Again, this is better for insulin resistant people, which I didn't know I wasn't...). I tried, but am vegetarian, so that's hard.

Still, trying to be low-carb made me switch from regular to diet soda (I drank A LOT of soda). That alone made me drop about 10lbs. Also, I stopped eating various forms of pizza (delivery, frozen, pizza pockets, etc.) several times a week. Stopped eating pasta. Started eating more veggies.

Eventually, I saw the ad for Slim in 6 and I thought it looked cool. That got me started exercising.

And so on. Everything just a little at a time.

You don't have to go gung ho the second you decide to lose weight. Particularly if you have a lot of weight to lose, you can start to see results just by doing a few things differently.

Of course, everyone's personal motivation is different. You have to find yours.

Love,
Shannon

Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM
WAHM Addict

I want to say I have not given up anything. I still eat pizza but I eat differently now. I don't eat 3 or 4 slices. Instead I have once slice, maybe two and a nice big salad.

I have not given up sweets, but I've cut way back on how many sweets I eat now.

What's actually happened is I've lost my taste for a lot of things. I still love ice cream so I buy Skinny Cow. They are so yummy. They are 140 calories or so and I can be satisfied eating one.

I just made tons and tons of changes in how I eat. I still eat bread but I'm much more picky now on which breads I'll eat. That cut out tons of calories from my diet also.

I do exercise almost every day. Yes, I was willing to find one hour per day to exercise. Sometimes it's a walk with friends. How cool is that? I get to socialize for an hour and I'm exercising too.

You do have to want to do this.Lisa gave you some awesome and wonderful advice. Even at Weight Watchers their first goal is 10%. An average weight loss is one pound per week. If you are losing 25 pounds as your first 10% goal, you're looking at 5-6 months. What an awesome way to spend Christmas, 25 pounds lighter. If you start working at it today, you can be 25 pounds lighter by Christmas. How cool is that?