Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 AM
WAHM Addict

I am really getting frustrated.........

I have been walking between 4 and 4 1/2 mi a day almost every day. Have only taken 2 days completely off. Drink 8 + glasses of water a day and have cut back on my food choices and portion control. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner. I eat protein (especially in the AM), fruit, veggies, salads, chicken, turkey, hardly any breads, nuts....

I have noticed a diff. in my legs and around my waist. However the scale has only gone down 3 lbs......why am i not losing more weight????

I also added 2-2lb hand weights i carry with me in the past 2 weeks. What's going on???
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hang in there, LBB! Sounds like you're making all the right choices- it's just a matter of time before you see the results on the scale. (How do you look and feel?)

You might want to think about trying HIIT (high interval intensity training) for just 20 minutes a day instead of the 4 mile walk. This usually creates a huge breakthrough for my clients who are at a plateau.

Keep up the great work!

Be well,
--Kitt

Edited by: Kitt B Fit
Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 AM
WAHM Regular

Agreed on the HIIT.... but be certain you build yourself up to it or it can be VERY dangerous depending on your cardiovascular shape going in.One of the keys to keep in mind is that it all comes down to adaptation. You have to FORCE the body to change with exercise, and that requires stimulation of the endocrine system, which is dependent on intensity of the stimulation.

Diet wise,you want to eat a small meal for every 2 1/2-3 waking hours of the day.... usually getting 5-6meals in there.Lean proteins should be the focus of each and every meal, and you should try to taper your carbs so that you're only eating the healthy ones in the morning and early afternoon. By dinner time you should be eating just protein, essential fats and veggies.

Also, you said you've cut down on food CHOICES... I hope that doesn't mean cut down on AMOUNT of food too... easiest way to sabotage fat loss goals in many cases! More frequent, smaller and healthier meals is the way to go! I've had a few clients who each dropped37 pounds in three months while working out LESS (but more intensely) and eating MORE (but healthier), and I've personally dropped as much as 28 pounds in two months to get ready for a shoot without cutting my calories... just shifting to a diet lower in carbs and higher in essential fats (keep protein at a pretty high level year round).

Hope this helps. Have a great day!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitlegit8
Agreed on the HIIT.... but be certain you build yourself up to it or it can be VERY dangerous depending on your cardiovascular shape going in.One of the keys to keep in mind is that it all comes down to adaptation. You have to FORCE the body to change with exercise, and that requires stimulation of the endocrine system, which is dependent on intensity of the stimulation.
ABSOLUTELY! Remember that HIIT is your personal PERCEIVED intensity, so it should always be within a range that works for you where you are at physically. If it means you walk slowly and amp it to walking briskly, that's what you need to do! Take pride in knowing you're getting a better workout doing HIIT than you would with 40 minutes of high impact cardio when you do it properly.

Think about HIIT as a range from 1 to 10, where "1" might be walking leisurely across the room (you can do it all day without breaking a sweat) A "5" would be just starting to huff & puff with exertion, and a
"10" is when you have to push yourself with every fiber in your being
to make it through that last second. (A beginner shouldn't go beyond an 8!)

A nice, gradual way to get started with HIIT is to do 3 minutes low, 3 minutes "high" where high is at about a 5-6. (So you feel like you've exerted yourself but you could keep going).

Try starting at about a "3" for your low intensity, keep it there for 3 minutes, and then move up to a 5-6 for your high intensity, keeping your effort at that level for 3 minutes. Switch between these two intensity levels for 3 minute intervals, for a total of 21 minutes. Have FUN with it!

Edited by: Kitt B Fit
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
WAHM Addict

Thanks for all the good advice girls.

As far as food choices go, I should have said that I have cut out, sweets, chips, potatoes, white breads, fried foods, fast foods.....After reading about the food intake, it looks like I should eat a little more of the healthy foods. I have cut back in the amt. I think now I should increase it again.

As far as the walking goes, it is a very brisk walk. I do sweat and huff and puff. Maybe I should try the HIIT.

I am also working on the abs....I have taken a smaller size basketball, with the air slightly out of it and am trying to do some of the exercises that I have seen using the ball.

I really need to slim down, I have alot to lose..... I know it didn't come on over night, so I know it won't go away over night.....

thanks again girls!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
WAHM Fanatic

28 lbs in 2 months! I'd settle for 10lbs in ONE month!

Lil --- you can be my buddy ... LOL I too am doing everything "right" and don't see the scale moving BUT I've decided (at least for the next 10 days) to ignore the scale and check inches - that keeps me happy

I use the scale as a "controller" - I make healthier choices when I see150s and 160 vs 149 - not that I make "bad" choices but perhaps I'll have a white baked potato instead of a sweet potato

I do at least one hour of exercise every day - I was alternating cardio and weights but for the next 10 days I'm going to do my 4 fast miles DVD and every other day I'll do strength training before bedtime.

I love this forum - it keeps me honest - AND motivated -- I wasn't motivated yesterday but before I went to bed I did do my strength training
Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
WAHM Regular

No problem! Best of luck with everything.Keep us informedof your progress and I'm surewe can help you along the way with some more quick tips and tricks of the trade!

Also, not that it's a big deal, but just so you know, I'm not a girl lol... you can check out my myspace page to be certain, but I'm pretty sure I've got a different build haha jk

Take care

-Dan
Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
WAHM Regular

Hey JustOneVoice!
Agreed.. the scale isn't all it's cracked up to be as an indicator of fitness. Nor is the BMI, which I see you have in your sig lol! It reminds me of the "you must be this tall to ride this ride" at amusement parks haha! It doesn't take into account the HUGE variations we have as a species in bone structure (width, girth, density) ormuscle mass. It basically says you're x tall so you should be y in weight... think about it and it's rather ridiculous! At my biggest I weighed 272 lbs.... with a 35 1/2 inch waist. Not anywhere near my leanest by any stretch of the imagination, but by all means not fat (arms were 21 7/8 inches [email protected] 55 inch chest lol). When I've done shoots I've been as small as 224, with my bodyfat under 6% and even THEN I'd still be considered morbidly obese according to that system lol.

Now I know you'll want to argue that it's not applicable for extremely muscular people... but even look within the range of "normal" folks: When I was in school there was a suite of 8 girls who I hung out with. 4 of them were within 1/2 inch of each other height wise (@ 5'4). The heaviest of them actually had the LEAST fat on her though! No, she wasn't a bodybuilder or anything either lol. She just had slightly wider shoulders and hips and a bit more muscle than the rest. The lightest of them had the smallest shoulders and waist I think I've ever seen, but had the dreaded wobbly tricep flub when she'd wave because she dieted and lost lean tissue.

Bottom line: it's not weight that's most important. If you want to swear by numbers, go with bodyfat %.

A quick tip with your workout plan: training every day, if sufficient enough to stimulate the endocrine response especially,is a surefire way to FAIL in your efforts! It'll lead to endocrinelevel fatigue andthe glucocorticoid family of hormones (think cortisol) will become elevated. This leads to an increase in fat storage andmuscle wasting! NOT good lol! Remember,the workout is the stimulus for change... but the changes we WANT to see come during the RECOVERY phase. This requires proper nutrition and REST.

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 AM
WAHM Addict

Thanks JustOne.......lol......We will SUCCEED !!!

Whoooppss sorry Keepit.....i guess i shouldn't assume everyone is female here. Sorry, but thanks for all the good tips. (Although you kind of lost me in your last paragraph)....

Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Dan - I see where you are coming from - but when my husband and I were losing weight together2 years ago we rode our bikes every day. We had increased lung capacity and everything was good.

I don't think that doing cardio for the next 10 days will hurt me - I do agree that if I decided to do cardio every day for the remainder of my life - especially the high intensity cardio there might be a problem

After the 10 day challenge I'll go back to every other day cardio and every other day strength training.

I'll also be adding my walking vest to my workout when this 10 days is over