Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Dan I don't think there is an easy way to calculate body fat and I'm not going to my doctor just for that .. LOL

I'm a fairly average build person ... in my best shape ever at age 18 .. I weighed 140 ... I freaked but I realized it was all muscle ... especially since I was wearing a size 8 in Misses/Juniors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbrownbear
(Although you kind of lost me in your last paragraph)....
Haha sorry about that one! I've actually taught at three small seminars on the topics of endocrinology, metabolic function and nutrition... can get a bit "sciency" in there!

Best of luck with everything though, and if you have any quick questions, just let me know
Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneVoice
Dan - I see where you are coming from - but when my husband and I were losing weight together2 years ago we rode our bikes every day. We had increased lung capacity and everything was good.

I don't think that doing cardio for the next 10 days will hurt me - I do agree that if I decided to do cardio every day for the remainder of my life - especially the high intensity cardio there might be a problem

After the 10 day challenge I'll go back to every other day cardio and every other day strength training.

I'll also be adding my walking vest to my workout when this 10 days is over
Correct, with low intensity exercise there's not a big risk of overstraining the endocrine system. I was referring to the high intensity stuff that stimulates hormonal secretions in order for the body to adapt to the increased loads and stresses. Sorry if I failed to clarify.

Just keep in mind that even at lower intensities, IF cardio is extensive in its duration it WILL lead toan excessive release ofcortisol, which will lead, over time, to muscle wasting. Look at world class marathoners for a simple example of this. They are in AMAZING cardiovascular and respiratory form, but they're rail thin andin studies many couldn't even do 20-30 pushups! THIS is an extreme of what can happen whenduration of stress is too great over a period of time and one doesn't allow for sufficient rest. You can lose WEIGHT, but the key is to lose FAT. Excessive cortisolwill encourage fat storage and muscle wasting.

Hope that helps to clear things up
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
WAHM Regular

Quote:
Dan I don't think there is an easy way to calculate body fat and I'm not going to my doctor just for that .. LOL

I'm a fairly average build person ... in my best shape ever at age 18 .. I weighed 140 ... I freaked but I realized it was all muscle ... especially since I was wearing a size 8 in Misses/Juniors
Correct. Hydrostatic weighing is the benchmark, but outside of major university's labs there aren't really places to do this.. and the average jane or joe certainly wouldn't be able toafford it either lol!

There'reother methods such asBioelectrical Impedance (highlyvariable and inaccurate, though easy) and calipers. Calipers can be very accurate, but it depends largely on the skill of the person using them (makingsure they take it at the right points,for one).

Congrats on the size you must've hadafew years back! You must've been some kind of athlete! Have a great night everyone... I'm offfor the night.... double date with the girlfriend and her friends! If I'm late, it doesn't matter how big I am.. I'm in trouble! haha Good night
-Dan
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hello everyone...

Dan, very informative information... thanks!

If it it helps, I have an article on my blog that talks about how you can calculate body fat%....

http://vphealthandfitness.com/how-to...fat-percentage

I hope this helps.

~ VilmaEdited by: veperez
Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Vilma thanks for posting the link to your blog ... unfortunately it all looks way to complicated for me and Iam not about to purchase another "something" to help me in my weight loss journey

I know what to do and if I do it right then I'll be happy with myself - regardless of the body fat ... LOL
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 PM
WAHM Addict

Dan, JustOne or anyone else: This is a little more about me and maybe you or anyone else will have suggestions of what i need to do. I am 44 yrs old, 2 children 20 & 17. When I got married 21 yrs ago, i was what i call a perfect size for me. Back then I was 5'4" and 125 lbs. Then I had 2 kids and 9 yrs ago had a total hysterectomy. About 3 yrs before the hyster. I went on a weight mgt program called Advocare. It brought me back down to a size i was very happy with. Since after having the 2nd baby, i was rather plump. Then the hysterectomy, hormones & weight gain....I had tried the Advocare program at least 3 times (after the hyster)and it does nothing for me. The first time i was on the program it had ephedra. Now it has the natural forms (i guess that is what u call it). One of my ??'s is: is it possible that a persons metabolic system can go hay wire, stop working, not work correctly? I have tried and tried to get this crap off of me and i am not succeeding. I may have lost up to 10 lbs and that is it. I have had blood work and everything comes out normal, even my thyroid. I am going to try the HIIT as mentioned above, eat break, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Of course making sure that i have protein in the AM. I drink at 64 oz. of H20 at work and then a couple of glasses either in the AM or evening. Any ideas??? thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
JustOneVoice, I had that happen to me, too!

When I was in the very best shape of my life, back in my 20's when I was working out 2 hours every day at a gym, I weighed 150 pounds and was a size 8! I had so much muscle from all the weights I did, but yet I was small! A good friend of mine tried to pick me up (lift me) and he couldn't! He was so surprised because I looked small! I weighed a lot more than I looked! It kindafreaked me out, too, that I was small andmy friend couldn't pick me up because I weighed so much!

My goal is to getback to that level of fitness again!
Edited by: SusieF
Old 07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt B Fit
Hang in there, LBB! Sounds like you're making all the right choices- it's just a matter of time before you see the results on the scale. (How do you look and feel?)
I agree! I know it's hard to be patient when you're trying to lose weight. I'm exactly the same way. I find that it helps if I focus on how I FEEL rather than on my weight. I also pay attention to how my clothes are fitting me. If they are starting to get loose then I know that I am making progress.

I have about 40 pounds that I want to lose. I try not to get on the scale every day. I weigh myself once a week in the morning on an empty stomach to see how I am progressing each week, but I don't really make that my main focus. I just focus on making healthy food choices and doing my workouts. All I know is that I feel GREAT! I'm doing so much better than I was doing! My clothes are getting bigger! All my 14's are too big! My 12's are almost too big for me now! They are starting to get a little bit loose!

Just focus on how you FEEL when you are eating healthy foods and aretaking the time to exercise each day. The weightWILL come off. You just have to be patient. I know that sometimes it seems like it takes FOREVER and that it will NEVER come off, but don't give up! Keep at it and it will come off! One day you'll get on that scale and it will be the weight that you want to be! I know because I have lost weight that I thought would NEVER come off in a million years and it DID!

You can do it! Just don't give up! Keep doing what you're doing and the results you want will come!Edited by: SusieF
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
WAHM Addict

Thanks Susie...

Your right, i do need to focus more on how i feel and how my clothes are fitting. I have in the past gotton way to anxious and weighed almost daily. And that can be very disappointing. I am now weighing once a week. Although since July 9th, it only says 3lbs less, my clothes are alot loser around my waist and legs. So I know there is something I am doing that is helping me lose that fat. Time is the answer, i just need to keep up the exercise and diet and i know it will happen!