Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi everyone:

I was wondering if any of you that workout at home have a good program for weight lifting and building muscle mass? I'm not interested in going to a gym because I have a Parabody weight system at home along with a Total Gym, barbells, dumbbells and a treadmill. I just really need a good program to follow - either a book or DVD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really into things like Turbo Jam - just bought but not my style. I really prefer using weights.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM
WAHM Addict

Wish I could help. I'm a gym person.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Awesome WAHM

Barb,

Have you tried P90X? I think it's a really good and well rounded program.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
WAHM Addict

I haven't try P90X because I thought it was a more advanced program. Saw the infomercial and read about it on other boards and it looked like a brutal workout for a basic beginner.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Awesome WAHM

Have you heard of Body for Life by Bill Phillips? I used this program when I was doing weight training at a gym. It was awesome! I was so ripped and had so much muscle definition, I could hardly believe it! His program works if you want to have muscles!

You can find out more information about it here: http://www.bodyforlife.com/

Here is a link that goes directly to the weight training program:
http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp

Hope that helps! Good luck on finding the right program for you!Edited by: SusieF
Old 07-02-2008, 03:53 PM
WAHM Addict

Thanks for the links Susie. I actually have the BFL book. I haven't read it in ages so I'll have to go back and read it again.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Barb glad you asked this question and Susie thanks for posting the link

I wonder if my almost 43 year old body will ever have the definition (or at least close to it) that my 18 year old body had - of course that was in college and rigorous workouts for basketball. Hmmm..... I can't do running - bad knees. Maybe I'll eventually purchase a nice bike, but I live in Colorado Springs and not to keen on all the hills I'd have to conquer. I would love to go roller skating 3 days a week but no one will go with me

Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Awesome WAHM

You're welcome! I hope it helps! It's a great weight training program! People have had phenomenal results with it. I know that I had much more muscle definition after doing it myself! He also has an eating plan book to go along with it called "Eating for Life."

You can find out more about it or purchase it from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Life-Bill-Phillips/dp/0972018417

I've made many of the recipes and they are very good!

Bill Phillips has also developed a new website with a community board, his blog, articles, etc. You can check it out here: http://www.transformation.com/

Hey JustOneVoice, I'm 43, too! I'm trying to get my younger body back as well! It definitely takes more time and consistency to get there as you get older, especially after 40! I know I'm going to get there because after a week and a half of doing Turbo Jam and following the eating plan that came with it, I have already lost 5 pounds! Whoo hoo!

You can find out more about the eating plan and support from Beachbody.com here: http://www.beachbody.com/product/support_tools/million_dollar_body.do

They have a custom meal plan that you can use and you can also customize it yourself to suit your needs and tastes.

Edited by: SusieF
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM
WAHM Addict

Thanks again Susie for the links. I'm vegetarian so his dietprobably won't work well for me. I saw a list of some of the recipes on Amazon and most use animal products.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Following an eating program is difficult for me because I have to feed a child and a husband. I already eat as healthy as possible - so do they - but I'd have much more success if I only had to worry about me. Then again if it were just me I'd be out dancing 3 nights a week ... LOL That in and of itself would solve a lot of my weight issues