Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
WAHM Addict

Hey everyone!

Have any of you tried any diets involving reducing water retention / bloating?

I have been working out like crazy for the past three months (4 days
per week - running & lifting weights) and am gaining weight.

I've
done some research and it appears that I may be struggling with water
retention / bloating. (I can gain / lose 2-3 pounds in the course of a
day!)

I just ordered the book - "The Waterfall Diet" and am thinking about trying a gluten-free diet (possible food allergy).

Have you guys struggled with this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi there... I think we all struggle with this... I have a cool article on my blog that you might want to check out:

http://vphealthandfitness.com/weight-fluctuations-throughout-the-day

The way I cope is by reducing my salt intake and my grains. I also drink ALOT of water... Atleast a gallon a day.

I hope this helps,

~ Vilma
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
WAHM Addict

Well my water retention is a little different, but my doc says to keep your feet elevated above your heart, drink lots of water and watch salt intake. Right now my feet look like hamhocksMy legs finally look like my own again, I was really feeling for my pear shaped sistahs there for a minute, I mean no leg muscle definition whatsoever and my legs have always stayed pretty lean no matter how much I've gained.

To give you an idea how fluid retention can really affect your weight check this out. The day I went in to have mt c-section I weighed 236.5When I canme home 4 days later the scale said 232I mean my son was 10lbs 2 oz! What the heck!?[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Today I hoped on the scale and weighed 213.5! So that's a 23lbs weight loss in 8 days, eat your heart out Kimkins![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] I'm breastfeeding exclusively so I'm sure that helps as well, but anywho just wanted to show you have much water one can retain, good golly and I still have a lot to go!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
WAHM Regular

Kass- I remember after both my c-section how bad my legs looked! I'm talking about CANKLES really bad! LOL! I feel for ya girl! Hope you and little Caleb are doing well!

Simplesahm- I agree with Kass, drink lots of water. It doesn't make any sense "drink water to lose water", but it really helps

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
WAHM Addict

Vilma,

Nice article on what happens. One thing I was always taught is to weigh your self on the same scale at the same time of day. For me, it's my house scale and it's always mornings, before I've had food.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks Audrey... yes, I weigh myself on the same scale and at the same time everyday. Usually in the morning once a week. My offficial weigh-in's are on Saturdays.

Kass... 23 lbs!!! WOW!!

~ Vilma
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
WAHM Addict

What works for me is 5 Alfalfa 3x a day and I'm dumping water like a crazy woman! CoQ10 is also supposed to be a natural diuretic. Hope you all feel better.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matoozie
What works for me is 5 Alfalfa 3x a day and I'm dumping water like a crazy woman! CoQ10 is also supposed to be a natural diuretic. Hope you all feel better.
Is that safe to do while nursing? My doc said to avoid duiretics as they'll dry up my milk supply, not sure if it would work the same with a natural one.

Hey Vilma, I'm down 28lbs in 9 days now. I'm averaging 2lbs a day, hope it keeps up lolI guess my body is releasing all that extra fat I was storing up, not to mention water etc.

Oh, I'm starting to see the remants of bones on my ankles againOT: Ewww, my feet could use a good Ped Egging
Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
WAHM Master

FVMom,

The nursing moms website I relied on a lot while I was nursing says alfalfa can actually be good for nursing:

http://kellymom.com/herbal/milksuppl...a.html#alfalfa

Of course, you should always run anything you're taking by your dr. My midwife recommened it when I was preg for my swelling.

Take care all!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I take 10 alfalfa a day and it helps!

I also take Liver DTX every now and thenso my liver cleans out and can process everything more efficiently.