Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
WAHM Regular

Hey everyone! I am about70lbs overweight, completely out of shape, no energy, always feel like crap, etc! I decided it was time to get off my butt, start exercising and eating better. I know its going to be tough and to be honest Im a bit scared BUT I have to do it. Anyways, I have a gym membership but it stays SO packedin therethat I almost always have to wait a little bit to use a machine so I am thinking about getting something for here at home. I planned on getting a treadmill until a couple of friends told me to get an elliptical, said it would be better. They said theres no impact, you burn more calories, etc BUT the 1 time I tried one out at the gym I about died after 30 seconds! What do you guys suggest? A treadmill or an elliptical? What did you choose and why?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hi Christi,

I was actually more overweight than that when I started at the gym. I would never use an elliptical, but there are ladies on this board who do - and they could tell you all about it. But for me, it was always the treadmill I could get on it for as little or as long as I wanted, go fast or slow, change the intensity by going uphill a little or going for broke and just keep chugging uphill. You can also do HIIT and then you wouldn't need as much time if you were in a hurry. I used to be on the t-mill for 30 min @ 2.8 mph and 0 incline. Now I can do 90 min. @ 3.5 mph and START at like 7 and keep going until the incline was at the highest, for about 5 miles total, burning like 650-700 calories. In three months. If I can do it, so can you!

Good for you for taking the first step! Keep posting here and post your exercise (or rest) daily! It helps!!

Donna
Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Awesome WAHM

HIIT?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Awesome WAHM

Oh, HIIT is high intensity interval training. I read studies on it as well and they work just as well as a longer workout. The way I do it is I walk on the treadmill slowly for three minutes and then I would walk as FAST and as intensely as I could for three minutes - the key is to raise your heartrate. Then slow WAY down for three minutes and repeat. When I do the fast part, I usually go up to like 12 or 13 (maybe even 14) incline and and walk like 3.6 mph. I do this for like 24 minutes. At first, you might think, this is silly, it doesn't feel like anything, but the third time you have to get going fast, you can feel it then. 24 minutes for me is enough time for four cycles each of fast and slow.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Awesome WAHM

You can go here to learn more about it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

If you have bad knees, I would suggest an elleptical trainer. You can get a great workout on them without the high impact of running & walking.

Treadmills are more versatile in that you can do a lot more with it than ellepticals.( foward, backward & side to side)

I would suggest a treadmill & HIIT training...

Let us know how it goes!

~ vilma

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
WAHM Addict

I would choose the one I enjoy the most and would use. No matter what the studies show, if you simply like one better than the other and are more likely to use it, then I think you'll get the better results.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Awesome WAHM

I agree with Susan...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
WAHM Regular

if you have bad joints, the elliptical is better. you will get a good workout. i had a treadmill, and sold it to buy an elliptical. then, my dr told me that ellipticals are good, but treadmills are better. if you can't run, then walk. walking helps build bones, which is why she said treadmill's are better than ellipticals.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
WAHM Master

I would personally choose the Elliptical hands down. I like the Treadmill but on the Elliptical I burn a TON more calories in a shorter amount of time and it's much easier on my knees.

I would want to get both though so I'm no help am I?[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
WAHM Addict

Ok here is my take....My first choice would be the treadmill!!!

I like the Eliptical because you burn more calories faster and you can really work up a sweat. I do the hill mode when I do the Eliptical. However my toes fall asleep when doing it...my mom also has this issue and when she spoke to her foot doctor about it...the reason they fall asleep is because of the way the bones are positioned....so that could be my problem as well. I also if I don't warm up really good at first, my thighs burn and my knees ache. I do the eliptical to add a mix to my workouts.

I like the treadmill. I do the treadmill on Random mode at level 16 and I love this type of walking. I also like the variety you get with the treadmill. I like being able to do a variety of things and with the eliptical you really can't.

Now with that being said.....honestly either one you go with you will be fine. If you are looking for more sweat and more calories burned per hour...then the eliptical would be the way to go. If you want something where you can switch it up often...then the treadmill would be your best bet!

HTH