Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Awesome WAHM

I came across this site, and I think it's pretty neat. This is not a new diet... just a website that helps you learn what different things are in "harvest" for your particular state... even has video recipes to follow along with. They promote supporting your local farmers, and also a lifestyle change for healthy eating habits. Just thought I'd share!

http://www.harvesteating.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 05:33 AM
WAHM Master

That is really cool. We just had tomatoes & stawberries in season here. Local ones were available at the grocery store, so I've been eating lots of those 2 things! They weren't organic, but very reasonable and very fresh. At least I knew it wasn't produce that had to travel days just to get to the market.

Thanks for sharing this! You can also do a search for community organic farms in your area. With these, you pay a membership fee in order to get a share of the crop. We have one here, but it's quite a drive away.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 AM
WAHM Regular

This is a great link. Living in the Midwest our local planting season is just starting so we enjoy the farmers markets from late June and into August, some even later.

Healthy eating habits are very important. My husband and I are just realizing how valuable antioxidants are to your overall health.

Doug and Robin

Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Awesome WAHM

I like this site also because it got me in touch with a couple of farmers markets I wasn't aware of. They're a little drive, but still worth it. It's a great way to spend a nice day outside. The way the economy is right now, I'm all about supporting the local farmers, stores, etc. I'm trying to avoid the big chains if there are mom and pop stores around. The owners of those little places are the ones really suffering right now. Plus, the atmosphere is usually unique.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
WAHM Regular

I totally agree!

Being from a smaller community we support our local grocery store as well as supporting the school system.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Super WAHM

That is so cool!

It is so hard to tell anymore what is truly an "IN season" food becuase often we import from all over the globe....our pineapple might have been picked 2 months ago before I eat it....not so good, not so nutritious either