Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Super WAHM

Okay, it's time to admit that I am not nearly eating the amount of fruits and veggies that I should be. My experience is that we mean well. We buy the produce, but after 3-4 days, with our busy lifestyle, they end up rotting in the fridge. What are some solutions you have used to increase your intake of fruits and veggies?

Thanks in advance:

Steve[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
WAHM Fanatic

The number one thing that has helped my family is that I clean it and prepare it (cut up the melons or whatever) and put them in see-through containers. I also keep a fruit bowl on the kitchen table. The kids know that they don't have to ask for a piece of fruit- they can just have a piece whenever they feel like it.

It was hard for me to start eating more fruits and vegetables myself and it was a learning process!

Oh, I also buy one new fruit or vegetable each week, we've liked a few and a few uh, not so much.

Good luck!

Jeannine
Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Super WAHM

It's been a learning process for me too. I eat more salad and use the baby spinach leaves in it since they have a lot of nutrients. I like teh idea of buying a new veggie every week- I should try that!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
WAHM Master

Hubby and I have been also buying new veggies each week to try out. I can't believe I had never eaten eggplant and now I can't get enough. I LOVE it! There are so many other yummy veggies we have been trying too. As for fruit, we have a banana every morning and I put frozen blueberries on my cereal. I know the frozen aren't as good as the fresh but it's something and it really doesn't go bad. I totally know what you mean though Steve about things going bad quickly. Pick just a few items a week instead and be sure to eat them[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi Steve,
I was like you when it came to eating the fruits and veggies,I got a copy of Dr's OZ & ROIZENS "YOU ON A DIET" In the book they tell how to mix a breakfast Blaster, half of a ripe banana,(or other fruit of your choice) 1 scoop (half cup) Soy Protein,1/2 tablespoon flaxseed oil,1/2 cup frozen blueberries 1/2 tablespoon honey,1 teaspoon psyllium seed husks and 8 ounces water.
combine in a blender or Magic Bullet. you can also do this with veggies they taste good this way and your getting your daily intake of fruits and veggies.
I've done this with different kinds of fruits and vegetables , i hope this helps.

Jim Murphy
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
WAHM Master

Steve, Not long ago I had the same realization that you did. Although I consider myself very healthy and don't eat many "bad" things, I was eating VERY little fruits & veggies. I just had to make the decision & effort to eat some at most meals (still getting used to it). I'm trying to buy as much locally as I can. For example, strawberries are in season here, so I can find locally grown ones in the grocery store and they are YUMMY (and cheap)! I have also been making up a BIG salad and keeping it in the fridge, so I can just grab it out easily without all the chopping & slicing at meal times. I ALWAYS keep apples & bananas on hand, because they are quick, easy & portable.
Hope this helps some! I'm lucky, because my 3 yr old would literally live on fruit if I let him. He's a good example for me vs the other way around!

JennEdited by: happymommy
Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
WAHM Regular

The best thing I ever did was to start making banana smoothies every morning for the whole family. You can add oats to bulk it out or strawberrries in season then just blend with milk and it is really delicious. Even the fussy 6 year old loves it.

Fresh fuit juice can also count as one of your five. I make sure I have some of that with my lunch, and fruit for the mid-morning snack and with lunch - there's 4/5 already!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
WAHM Addict

What's been working for me is since I have a wheat allergy, I haven't had much of a choice but to replace my breads and pasta with fruits and veggies. I have to eat several small meals a day so what works for me is I follow the 2 P's with each meal: Protein and Produce. I make sure to have those at every meal. It really helps keep my appetite a bay and has actually stopped my rapid weight gain and as a matter of fact I've lost a couple of pounds (good in my case). HTH!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Super WAHM

Hello, all. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I like the idea of having fruits and veggies visible and out, so that I reach for those instead of a not so healthy snack. Also, I love smoothies. I am interested in the idea of using a smaller blender, since the larger size can be such a pain to clean. Thanks again for all your suggestions! Here's to eating more healthfully!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 AM
WAHM Master

I've heard great things about the Magic Bullet...Definately on my wish list, because I'm also a huge smoothie/shake fan!