Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
WAHM Fanatic

So we're primarily a chicken, turkey, and fish eating family. Every once in awhile I'll cook up something with beef. But I haven't eaten it in a long time (trying to eat clean and all!) Well the other day, I indulged in some yummy juicy roast. I thought I had gotten food poisoning because I was in the bathroom all night. A few days after that, I went to a cookout and ate a hamburger. Well then I thought that maybe it hadn't been cooked well enough and sadly enough we had to go home because my stomach was again letting me know I'd be in the bathroom for awhile. Now yesterday, I decided to make some spaghetti and since I was out of italian sausage, I just used hamburger meat. Need I say what happened? I've come to the conclusion that beef is toxic to my body and although I do understand the importance of "going to the bathroom" every day, this is hardly worth it.

So I guess I have to transition ground turkey in the place of ground beef since I do love me some tacos. Makayla and BF were never big fans of beef anyway so this should make for smooth transitioning!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Awesome WAHM

Marleeka,

I am like you. I don't cook beef, I don't really care for it either. I'm a chicken and fish gal. I only eatmeat if it's offered elsewhere.

I notice that when I do eat it, I have a stomach ache afterwards & I just feel heavy & bloated for about 2 days until it's all gone from my system.

Hubby and I have transitioned to Ground Turkey and we LOVE it! Hubby says thathe can't even tell the difference and used to LOVE meat.

You just do what you gotta do to make you feel better. Chicken, Turkey & Fish are really good lean protein sources, so I think you'll be fine.

~ Vilma
Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Awesome WAHM

It could have a lot to do with the fact that you rarely eat it, so your body isn't used to it. My husband has the same problem if we go somewhere and they serve ground beef. I always go with turkey instead if I can. You can also try burger "crumblers" which are fake meat. The texture is a little different, but once you get used to it, it's great. You can find it in the frozen food section of the grocery store. I don't buy it too often because it's a little expensive. Try any of the meat substitutes... they taste great and they're muuuuch better for you than meat. My husband was raised veg, so I've eaten most all of it and the breakfast links are great. Another favorite of mine is wham... fake ham that's sliced... great for sandwiches or with egg whites on an english muffin. YUM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thanks for the advice. my poor tummy is still paying for it! BF went out and got some ground turkey today since I was planning on making meatloaf on Sunday. I've made turkey burgers before but never turkey meatloaf so this should be an experience!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
WAHM Master

Weare beef/steak lovershere but also chicken, pork, fish...guess you could say we eat it all

Sorry you weren't feeling well those few days.

As for turkey meatloaf, that is one meal I have cooked and although I liked it hubby did not care for the turkey at all. I eat turkey burgers, he has regular.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I made meatloaf out of ground turkey and I loved it.

Plus on Memorial day I grilled turkey burgers on the grill and I couldn't taste the difference from a regular hamburger.

I love buying ground turkey because it is so cheap.

Peggy[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Where do you live Peggy because here in Pittsburgh, ground turkey is expensive! I taste a slight difference with turkey burgers but nothing to get all upset about. As long as I add a little extra pepper and some italian breadcrumbs, it's all good!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I live in Florida. I can buy 2 lbs worth of ground turkey at Savalot for .98 cents and at Walmart it cost $1.20 for the same thing.

Peggy[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 AM
WAHM Fanatic

We rarely eat beef also. But it is what is on the menu for every Sunday. Cause that is family day, and we like to do juicy marinated steaks on the grill and play board games on the back patio while doing it.

I have transitioned to ground turkey years ago and my family loves it. For tacos, meatballs, or a hamburger..if you use the right spices, they can't tell the difference. My son is on a diet over the summer, and I am giving him veggie patties and he doesn't know it.. They are those garden burgers, and he LOVES them with fresh fruit and a side of cottage cheese.

Something that I have noticed is since I took sugar out of our diet, if I have any, I feel horrible!!

We went to the movies twice during the holiday weekend. So, I cheated then and got my lemon heads and sour patch kids..yuummmmmm!! The next day I woke up and thought my Lupus was flaring! I was stiff and sore in my joints, and I mean BAD. I had a headache, and just felt like someone had beat me up. Within 24 hours, it all disappeared and it hasn't occurred since.

I believe it when some say sugar is the devil!!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:38 AM
WAHM Fanatic

LOL that's funny! I have an evil sweet tooth so I must have sugar......in any form! I try to keep it in check though and might just have a small cup of chocolate pudding or if all else fails.....fruit!

I want to move where Peggy lives! Our ground turkey is $5.09/lb......and that's store brand!