Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
WAHM Regular

i have been seeing a lot of these diets. where you will subsitute a shake/bar in place of a meal... does these things really help hunger/cravings?

heres one i was looking at

http://www.newlifestylediet.com/plan.aspx
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM
WAHM Addict

hmmm. Interesting plan. Well, this is only my opinion and I'm no expert, but I don't think it is nearly enough food.

I think shakes/bars are great as part of a well rounded diet but not as a replacement for an entire meal. The human body is meant to eat food.

I read an article called "Weight Loss Lies" and the subject of meal replacement shakes was covered:

...eating real food is better than drinking shakes. The human gastrointestinal system has evolved to efficiently digest whole food, not powders or pills. The process of digesting solid food every three hours actually increases your metabolic rate. This is known as the "thermic effect of food." Powders fail to take advantage of this metabolic boost.

"Food is the cornerstone of nutrition. If you donít eat the proper foods - lean proteins, starchy carbs, and fibrous carbs - nothing else matters. No supplement can ever provide you with all the benefits that food supplies. We were built to process foods - proteins, carbohydrates and fats - not powdered or liquid supplements alone. If you want to make the best possible progress with your physique, I suggest that you forget the hype surrounding all supplement diets or meal replacement programs and get back to basics. And that means food."

- John Parillo, Author of High Performance Bodybuilding
    Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
    WAHM Master

The shakes & bars I used to assist in my weight-loss and continue to use to support my maintenance do hold me over very well. The plan you are looking at calls for a lot of shakes and/or pudding! I think the key for me in holding off cravings has been: getting enough protein at each meal/snack combined with fiber and tons of water. I think this can be done with the assistance of the right shakes/bars or with reg, solid food alone. Focusing on lean protein sources, small, frequent, low-glycemic meals, exercise & water has been the key to any success I've ever had in weight-loss. Over several years, I have used shakes & bars (as 1 or 2 of my mini-meals/snacks) of different types as a convenient way to get extra quality protein & calories. Whatever plan you choose, it is also essential that it teaches you to make wise food/health choices and that it's something you can do for life, not just as a quick-fix.

Hope this helps!

JennEdited by: happymommy
    Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
    WAHM Master

Okay, only 1080 calories? and only 18 grams of fat? per day? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

That is not nearly enough calories, IMO, and not enough fat either. The protein looks good, but that's about it. I don't know anyone (doctors, nutritionists, etc.) that would suggest for someone to go below 1200 calories per day. And your body needs fat as well.

I do shakes in the mornings, but I have never been big on actual food for breakfast, and when I was younger (teens), I would skip breakfastly entirely (NOT a good idea). I used to do smoothies every morning and then switched to shakes. I'm not big on bars either, but will have one every once in a while for a snack, NOT a meal.

I agree with happymommy -"whatever plan you choose, it is also essential that it teaches you to make wise food/health choices and that it's something you can do for life, not just as a quick-fix."
    Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
    WAHM Addict

My shakes help me a lot. I use the same products as Jenn with great success. Just keep in mind that not all shakes are created equally. I have a friend who gained 20 lbs on a "name brand" shake diet.

One thing to ask is about the glycemic index. The lower it is, the less likely you are to be hungry because the less it impacts your blood sugar, the less likely you are to have cravings.

There are a couple of things about the products you are looking at. One is that you will need to supplement with fiber, as it is very, very low and with the amount of protein there is, there is a possibility of constipation issues.

The other thing is that the company you mentioned does not offer a money back guarantee. So if it doesn't work, you can't get your money back, except on unopened products returned within 30 days. So be careful of that.
    Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
    Awesome WAHM

I love the shakes and bars I use. The shake for breakfast is so
    convenient- quick, easy, thoughtless, and I know I'm getting 100% of the
    nutrition that I need. How many other breakfasts offer that?!

I use the high protein bars as an "on the go" lunch along with a piece of
    fruit, or as a healthy snack alternative. The company I am with also offers
    an amazing product called "slim cakes" they are delicious chocolate chip
    oatmeal "cakes" (more like a cookie) that are high in protein and fiber (9
    grams!) and 5 grms flaxseed and protein. They're amazing!

It's important to do research and find products that are healthy and
    nutritious- not just advertised that way. Dr. Mercola did a report online
    recently about choosing "energy" bars- many are elaborately disguised
    candy bars, full of sugar. It's important to find products that use natural
    sugars in low amounts, the right type of protein source for your needs
    (there is a big debate on whey vs. soy). You also want to use them in
    combination with a healthy nutritional and exercise program.

Personally, the shakes & bars, etc. have transformed my life and made it
    much easier to live a fast paced lifestyle and maintain a healthy diet.
    [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM
    WAHM Regular

i thought so when i was looking at this. i am also worried about diabiets and things like that since it is very very common in my family lines. i thought of the shakes... but yea i would neever FOOD or i would get a head ache.

thanks girls.
    Old 03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
    Awesome WAHM

I just looked at the ingredients of the "New Lifestyle" products.

Some concerns I have are that the products contain aspartame, artificial
    colors, and have no fiber.

There are definitely some better choices out there- keep looking! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

To your best health!
    --Kitt

Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
    WAHM Addict

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cassyfaye

i thought so when i was looking at this. i am also worried about diabiets and things like that since it is very very common in my family lines. i thought of the shakes... but yea i would neever FOOD or i would get a head ache.

thanks girls.

If you're concerned about Diabetes check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynXGA6fCEgU

Try a raw/semi raw food diet. Jay Robb makes an EXCELLENT protein powder! http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinWheyChoc_1_lb.asp

I use it supplemental, not as a meal replacement.

As far as Fiber Bars go, these are my fav! 14-15 grams a piece!!!

http://www.renewlife.com/flowmeter.cfm?meter=356