Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM
WAHM Regular

I have been running my preschool with before and after care since 2000. I strongly believe as a provider what you put in your contract is binding. If it is stated in the contract that parents pay a fee for their "spot" wether they are there or not then they pay. Many parents don't understand that they are paying for a "spot" not just a certain amount of days for care. Over the years I have made changes to my contract. I have been very lucky to have mainly great families where there really haven't been disputes about paying for days of care. I can tell you for the last couple of years since the economy has not been very strong, new families are asking for discounts on days when their child is not in care. To stay competetive I do honor this for the ones that ask me. And I have no problem with it. They also know I only provide full time or part time care. No drop in care. I have never been able to take a full week of vacation at a time because it is very important to me to be there for the parents. I do take two to three days only for vacation. This has worked out well. I still get some time off, and parents still get high quality care.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Registered WAHM

Default Absolutely!

Because if you don't charge them they will continue to do that...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered WAHM

I would say the first thing you need to do is draw up a contract stating what the weekly or monthly fee is for each child and the days they attend. If a parent knows weeks or months ahead of time the days they have off such a holidays or their vacation time then its your call whether of not to charge them a discounted fee but if they are calling the morning off or not showing up then yes definitely charge them. I would expect my daughters daycare to do the same even though i don't have a contract with them. Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
WAHM Regular

If we tend to have parents who don't bring their children often we drop them, but make them a priority for our drop in slots. If the parents can call a day or two ahead of when they will need us we make sure that those spots are open for the children. It would be nice not to have to drop them, but there are a lot of parents who need our weekly services and it is not fair to force them onto a waiting list when there are open spots.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Have A Strict Policy

I think having a strict policy helps both the parents and also the child-care person. If you were to be too lenient with the parents they may take advantage of the situation and send their child or take home anytime they want. So I think it is better to have a rule saying that they should announce earlier if the child is not coming if this causes an issue to you. Another problem with parents is when they know you don't charge for the days they dont send their kids over, they tend to send their child over only on days they really need you and in this case you earn less
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Registered WAHM

Red face re: charging for daycare

I was a licensed childcare provider for 16 years and after being burned a few times my first year, I started charging a flat full time weekly fee - regardless, if the child missed. I ran my daycare as a professional business (because it is) and explained my policies with parents before I would take them in. After doing that, I never had a problem again.

Sure I heard the grumbling, behind my back to other mom's, when they had to pay me as scheduled, their weekly fee after time off - but they did understand, that my services were in high demand and if they would not comply to these rules, someone else would.

Running a childcare in your home was one of the most rewarding businesses - a "heart-string-type" business. You are loving other people's most precious little ones - and there were always many emotions, both good and bad and yes, some parents (not all) do try to take advantage - as in any business, you have to be able to stand your ground.

It's been 15 years since I closed my doors to become a Silicon Valley Nanny and to this day, I still have dreams of the children that were in my care.

Debby

Kidcrossing Redding
Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered WAHM

Most of the ones in my area still charge.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
WAHM Regular

Neighborhood dropping daycare is not what you are offer (if I understand your post). This is your income generating business. As a parent, I paid for the spot not the actual time. Remember not only is the money for the child not being paid, you are also losing the potential that amount by not having the spot filled by someone else.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 AM
WAHM Regular

A parent who would expect to only pay for time used is not the type of client you want. As a parent who relied on daycare for a time when my children were small, I understood that I was reserving a spot for my child. If the child was sick, or I wanted to spend the day with them at the zoo or whatever, I would never have dreamed of not paying for that time.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM
WAHM Regular

If you are a legitimate business then they should pay a no show fee. Lay down the deadline for informing you of a no show so they are under no illusions.