Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Super WAHM

I didn't watch this but saw the clip on the internet. The headline says she fumbled the question. I totally disagree, I thought she scored a home run, touchdown, 3- pointer or whatever you want to call it with her answer!

Frankly I could care less who marries whom. Whatever blows up your skirt (or pant leg).But I am proud of Miss California's answer to the controvesial final question she was handed regarding Gay marriage. She said what she felt and not what she thought the judges wanted to hear.

It probably lost her the crown because of politics, but she lost with dignity. I thought she was very brave saying what she did since she was representingone of THE most liberal states in the Union. Nice job and I mean that, not being sarchastic. Edited by: 925jewelryCA
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
WAHM Addict

I watched the video. I thought her answer was shallow, and she did fumble through it. She probably was nervous having to answer a question she had not thought through and developed her own stand on. I admire her for going against the grain, but just saying "because I was raised that way" just wasn't enough IMHO.

That said, she was 1st runner up I believe is what I read. What an accomplishment! Could it be that the winner just did a better job of articulating her views?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Super WAHM

Perhaps she did but she also had a much easier question IMO. Miss California'squestion had 2 answers-both wrong depending on what side of the fence you are on. She was doomed no matter what she said or how she said it.

But in this day and age when families are falling apart and nobody seems to teach their kids morals andhow to be respectfulanymore, I think tosay that was how she was raised was a good thing to say! It just showed what her beliefs were and where they came from! (and she is probably Christian but didn't want to open up THAT can of worms-assumption on my part of course)

Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
WAHM Regular

I think the question was totally unfair, she should've never been asked it in the first place. She definitely stumbled when answering, and in the end she didn't even actually answer the question. (Did she believe other states should follow the lead of Vermont and other states that have legalized gay marriage was the question. Saying that marriage is between a man and a woman is kind of an answer, but she should've addressed the state issue thing.) Anyway, I watched the video and it wasn't a very clear response. Listen to the first part of her answer (which really doesn't match with the second part) and you'll see what I mean. She wasn't prepared for it.

But in the end, she should've never been asked it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
But in the end, she should've never been asked it.
I agree. I also believe she could have given a very good politically correct answer by addressing the states rights issue.

The way she answered the question made it a no win situation for her, with part of the audience booing and part cheering. What an awkward position to have been put in.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Super WAHM

I agree, totally unfair. They set her up. I still think she did the right thing.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM
WAHM Addict

I just heard about this for the first time today. I could care less about her answer....but the response by Perez Hilton (the *judge* that asked the question) was horrific. (He said she lost because she is a dumb b*tch)....in a nutshell.

Why aren't feminist groups outraged by the way she was treated? Why isn't the gay community slamming Perez for the way he treated her? I thought her answer was respectful based upon what she believed. She has the right to her opinion without nasty name calling.

I appreciate a good debate on the issue - but the gay community should also be embarrassed by the way Perez treated her. It's all about mutual respect.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Super WAHM

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we didn't see this go a lot further, meaning a discrimination lawsuit. She was clearly discriminated against by the Gay judge. It is kind of a catch 22 on the feminist issue because most feminist groups hate those beauty pagents. They think it exploits women.However, I would hope they could put that aside to come to her aid.
This issue is far from over I can guarantee you that much!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
WAHM Regular

I don't think she can sue,the pageant isn't an eeo. It's a competition and as far as I know they have no legal obligation to follow anti-discrimination laws. If the judges don't like her answer they don't have to pick her. As for Perez Hilton, I think most people just ignore him because he's a word I can't use on a public network. If Miss Ca is smart she'll ignore him and show people that his opinion is meaningless to her. That or kill him with kindness which makes him look like an even bigger jerk.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM
WAHM Addict

It's that "tolerance" so many people claim to have...

Quote:
Why aren't feminist groups outraged by the way she was treated? Why isn't the gay community slamming Perez for the way he treated her? I thought her answer was respectful based upon what she believed. She has the right to her opinion without nasty name calling.
I remember this same question being asked of feminists concerning Palin. The feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women - obviously [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] .