Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
WAHM Master

Is is just me or is he the first person do have a website like THIS

Quote:
The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to
meet the nationís challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand
national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will
create a new Classroom Corps
to help teachers in underserved schools,
as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps.
Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing
a plan to require</font> 50 hours of community service in middle school and
high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.
Obama
will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs
available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting
youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
WAHM Master

Just watch along with school and college requirements for community service and graduation we'll be having community service requirements for social security checks.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey4
Just watch along with school and college requirements for community service and graduation we'll be having community service requirements for social security checks.
It's not funny girl. How the hell is he going to pull this "crap" off?

Dear God it's worse than we thought.

What will this do to home schooling?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
WAHM Addict

Civilian National Security Force...that is what I am told by his followers is what is meant by this.

I ask...Classroom Corp...I hope doesn't affect me since I homeschool.
I sak....Health Corps...will I be a national security threat since I choose not vaccinate?
I ask...Clean Energy corp...will my power be cut off when I've reached my monthly cap?
There is also supposed to be an education corp...will I be a national security risk since I choose homeschool my children? Will I be required to force my children to do community service.

You know the scary thing about all of this? In WW2 we were there to help when the rest of the world realized what Hitler was. Who is going to be there to help us?

I really think some people should read 1984, if they haven't already. It's pretty scary how, intuitive Orwell was.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zg04
Civilian National Security Force...that is what I am told by his followers is what is meant by this.

I ask...Classroom Corp...I hope doesn't affect me since I homeschool.
I sak....Health Corps...will I be a national security threat since I choose not vaccinate?
I ask...Clean Energy corp...will my power be cut off when I've reached my monthly cap?
There is also supposed to be an education corp...will I be a national security risk since I choose homeschool my children? Will I be required to force my children to do community service.

You know the scary thing about all of this? In WW2 we were there to help when the rest of the world realized what Hitler was. Who is going to be there to help us?

I really think some people should read 1984, if they haven't already. It's pretty scary how, intuitive Orwell was.
It's like wall the wall government control, scares the hell out of me.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamie3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey4
It's not funny girl. How the hell is he going to pull this "crap" off?

Dear God it's worse than we thought.

What will this do to home schooling?
I can laugh or cry, right now laughing is the only way to get through it.

Right now it can't touch home schooling as long as he doesn't touch the home schooling laws. This is one of the issues McCain's camp touched but never adequately pushed in the election is how Obama's need to control eduction would effect home schooling.

Right now there are states and local districts that have community service obligations however home schools and private schools are not subject to the public school laws although many private schools have their ownrequirements because they feel community service is a positive experience for children and many home schoolers do it as well even though by law they are not compelled.

The question would be the language that the law included. I can see private schools and home schoolers both banding together to fight this not because they don't do the work already but it implies the federal government has the right to impose restrictions on their curriculum. So I wonder if it will only hit public schools.

I also wonder if the states balk because frankly it again puts another federal mandate on the state controlled system and it adds it at a level that is more complicated. High school kids generally can volunteer independently and in small groups but, middle schoolers require chaperones which means$$. Generally when I see middle school kids or elementary kids volunteering it's a school project like a senior center meal or entertainment type deal, etc. because frankly it is the equivelent of orginizing and paying for a field trip. You can't put it on the parents to meet the hours. Most of the time these programs around here for kids under the high school age are happening through the local churches where they have volunteers and parents willing to orginize and chaperone these projects. I can't imagine adding this to the middle school curriculum.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Darn...I wanted to join the volunteer brigade too.

Sadly I'm volunteering my time with the South American laying around the beach patrol next year...wish I could get our of it, but they'd court martial me.

I'll be thinking of all of you though...have fun[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Edited by: Birdie
Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
WAHM Master

I wonder what happens if you don't want your child in this volunteer force of required volunteering? Are you left no choice? What is the penalty?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie

Sadly I'm volunteering my time with the South American laying around the beach patrol next year...wish I could get our of it, but they'd court martial me.

You really are leaving? Lucky girl.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamie3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie

You really are leaving? Lucky girl.
Yes, not because of Obama though...but it's some damn good timing.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

We are not totally breaking up with the US. I love my US to much to let it go forever...just need some time apart and see what else is out there.