Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Bailey4's Avatar
WAHM Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 5,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamie3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmurra
Here's the part of the speech I was talking about:



Just as we teach math and writing, arts and athletics, we need to teach young Americans to take citizenship seriously. Study after study shows that students who serve do better in school, are more likely to go to college, and more likely to maintain that service as adults. So when I知 President, I will set a goal for all American middle and high school students to perform 50 hours of service a year, and for all college students to perform 100 hours of service a year. This means that by the time you graduate college, you値l have done 17 weeks of service.


We値l reach this goal in several ways. At the middle and high school level, we値l make federal assistance conditional on school districts developing service programs, and give schools resources to offer new service opportunities. At the community level, we値l develop public-private partnerships so students can serve more outside the classroom.


<a href="http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/02/obamas-remarks-on-service/" target="_blank">
</A>http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/02/obamas-remarks-on-service/



So in other words, he wants to make all kids good little government proponents.
God forbid we make federal dollars contingent upon improving math, science, reading, and writing scores. No service is obviously where we are falling behind the rest of the world in education. Powell should get right on that.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
jnmurra's Avatar
WAHM Master
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 7,041
Default

Yup. And this just irks me to no end because I believe that one thing federal money is used for here is for school lunch programs. I swear, our lunches were so bad this year (not in taste, I don't think? Just in what they were serving - it was so unhealthy, smaller portions, no protein, etc) that I decided my girls are now taking cold lunch. I mean I am not paying $50 per month for them to eat something that doesn't even meet 1/10 of their nutritional needs. It's a sad day when a cold lunch is better than a hot meal.

BUT some of these kids? That's the only "good" meal they'll get in a day. Yeah, let's cut federal funding!!! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM
jnmurra's Avatar
WAHM Master
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 7,041
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamie3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmurra
Here's the part of the speech I was talking about:



Just as we teach math and writing, arts and athletics, we need to teach young Americans to take citizenship seriously. Study after study shows that students who serve do better in school, are more likely to go to college, and more likely to maintain that service as adults. So when I知 President, I will set a goal for all American middle and high school students to perform 50 hours of service a year, and for all college students to perform 100 hours of service a year. This means that by the time you graduate college, you値l have done 17 weeks of service.


We値l reach this goal in several ways. At the middle and high school level, we値l make federal assistance conditional on school districts developing service programs, and give schools resources to offer new service opportunities. At the community level, we値l develop public-private partnerships so students can serve more outside the classroom.


<a href="http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/02/obamas-remarks-on-service/" target="_blank">
</a>http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/07/02/obamas-remarks-on-service/</span>



So in other words, he wants to make all kids good little government proponents.
God forbid we make federal dollars contingent upon improving math, science, reading, and writing scores. No service is obviously where we are falling behind the rest of the world in education. Powell should get right on that.
That's what I'm saying! Our kids ARE FAILING academically but we're going to worry about whether or not they volunteer because the government thinks it's the "right thing to do."

And why are parents not outraged at this kind of control? Yes, my kids will volunteer when *I* determine that they're ready. I've always planned on that, but the thought of the government having that type of control? Sheesh! What happened to BEING A PARENT AND MAKING OUR OWN DECISIONS!?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
cgraham30's Avatar
Awesome WAHM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 594
Default

He is in advanced programing. The program is partially funded by the local schools and a few colleges. The kids have their pick of where they want to volunteer, as long as the business owner approves.

For instance he is interested in mechanics, so he volunteers weekly at a local auto shop.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Kim's Avatar
Kim Kim is offline
WAHM Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 6,139
Default

We have these wonderful things kids can join called service organizations; Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, church groups, that encourage and help with volunteering for kids. The Scouts are really starting to play up the service aspects of their organizations again. Even some school extra-curricular groups, the FFA for example, make service a primary goal of their organization. It really isn't necessary for the government to force it on our students at the cost of their education.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
cgraham30's Avatar
Awesome WAHM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamie3535
I wonder what happens if you don't want your child in this volunteer force of required volunteering? Are you left no choice? What is the penalty?

It's going to be interesting to see how this will be enforcedEdited by: cgraham30
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
jnmurra's Avatar
WAHM Master
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 7,041
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraham30
He is in advanced programing. The program is partially funded by the local schools and a few colleges. The kids have their pick of where they want to volunteer, as long as the business owner approves.

For instance he is interested in mechanics, so he volunteers weekly at a local auto shop.
Oh, that I *would* be okay with, that's totally different.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
FV Mom's Avatar
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,381
Default

It was my understanding that the volunteering is required for the $4000 he wants to give to each student for college, so if you child chooses not to go to college or the parent/child pays/gets loans for it themselves, then the volunteering is not required, I think....

If not, how will parents afford the additional money for transportation, take time off from work to drop off/pick up the child, etc. especially with 2 parents working?

Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
FV Mom's Avatar
WAHM Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,381
Default

Yep, it's for the $4,000 college credit. You forgot to post the rest. The word require is not even on the site:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to
meet the nation痴 challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand
national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will
create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools,
as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans
Corps.Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by
setting a goal
that all middle school and high school students do 50
hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all
college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a
universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first
$4,000 of their college education is completely free.
Obama will
encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available
for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth
programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

http://change.gov/americaserves/



Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
kamie3535's Avatar
WAHM Master
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 7,222
Default



Quote:
Originally Posted by FV Mom
Yep, it's for the $4,000 college credit. You forgot to post the rest. The word require is not even on the site:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to
meet the nation痴 challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand
national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will
create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools,
as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans
Corps.Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by
setting a goal
that all middle school and high school students do 50
hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all
college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a
universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first
$4,000 of their college education is completely free.
Obama will
encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available
for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth
programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

http://change.gov/americaserves/


[email protected]&amp;%$ I forget to post the rest.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

I copied word for word what was on the damn link and the word "required" was there.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Seems "that one" took some heat and yet again changed his mind/plan.

Don't blame me, I can post several other sources who saw exactly what I saw today.

REQUIRED, just as I posted it above. Not kidding.

ETA the grand master seems to be the one doing to adding, not us.
Edited by: kamie3535
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off