Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 AM
WAHM Master

Here's a little lesson for those of you who think that just because a car bears the name of an American car company it is an American car. Just this year my husband and I bought two brand spanking new Chrysler vehicles and we own an older Toyota vehicle (oops guess I'm out of touch with the 'average' American).

Of the two new vehicles only one was made in the U.S. The other was made in Canada. Guess which one we have had more problems with?

I'm not totally sure where the Toyota was manufactured but since it still runs so well I'm gonna guess Japan, but it could have been Ohio.

But my original point, not every car that bears the tag of one of the big 3 was actually manufactured in the U.S and even if it was assembled here quite frequently the parts are made somewhere else and shipped here. So even if you are a faithful buyer of Ford, Dodge or GM you still might not be buying American and helping keep American workers in jobs.

And if you want to know why the Big 3 are in trouble go ask a member of the UAW how much they make an hour.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM
WAHM Master

It's odd too because people get so upset when you make the argument about how out of touch Kerry is with the citizens of MA, how he really can't relate to their issues, etc. He should be a senator at large, not a senator from MA for how little time he spends here and how little he focuses on MA issues but, nobody dares attack the sacred Kerry. He is a Democratic icon.
It is rather funny watching him campaign this round. He just can't bring himself down from the pedastal he was on while campaiging for president. He almost seems lost down among the peasants of MA again and angry and bitter about the people demanding he actually try to run a Senate campaign. I do believe he thought this was just a walk by race and collect his seat. While he expressed huge weary boredom over losing 30% of the Democratic vote to someone nobody had ever heard of before the primary race, he really is quite angry that the people aren't preparing a coronation in his honor.

So they can knock McCain but Kerry is still my vote for most arrogant and out of touch Senator to run for President.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Here's a little lesson for those of you who think that just because a car bears the name of an American car company it is an American car. Just this year my husband and I bought two brand spanking new Chrysler vehicles and we own an older Toyota vehicle (oops guess I'm out of touch with the 'average' American).

Of the two new vehicles only one was made in the U.S. The other was made in Canada. Guess which one we have had more problems with?

I'm not totally sure where the Toyota was manufactured but since it still runs so well I'm gonna guess Japan, but it could have been Ohio.

But my original point, not every car that bears the tag of one of the big 3 was actually manufactured in the U.S and even if it was assembled here quite frequently the parts are made somewhere else and shipped here. So even if you are a faithful buyer of Ford, Dodge or GM you still might not be buying American and helping keep American workers in jobs.

And if you want to know why the Big 3 are in trouble go ask a member of the UAW how much they make an hour.
I was thinking about the American cars made in Mexico. Just because it has an American manufacturing name is no promise it's made here.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM
WAHM Master

Mexico is a big one, I think largely Ford. If you want to know where your car is made there is a sticker when you open your drivers side door that gives some of the cars specs and tells where it is made.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 AM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey4

It's odd too because people get so upset when you make the argument about how out of touch Kerry is with the citizens of MA, how he really can't relate to their issues, etc. He should be a senator at large, not a senator from MA for how little time he spends here and how little he focuses on MA issues but, nobody dares attack the sacred Kerry. He is a Democratic icon.
It is rather funny watching him campaign this round. He just can't bring himself down from the pedastal he was on while campaiging for president. He almost seems lost down among the peasants of MA again and angry and bitter about the people demanding he actually try to run a Senate campaign. I do believe he thought this was just a walk by race and collect his seat. While he expressed huge weary boredom over losing 30% of the Democratic vote to someone nobody had ever heard of before the primary race, he really is quite angry that the people aren't preparing a coronation in his honor.

So they can knock McCain but Kerry is still my vote for most arrogant and out of touch Senator to run for President.
It's completely possible to not be wealthy and be out of touch. Does Obama have any idea what it is like to be poor or middle class in this country if you don't live in the inner city? I doubt it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 AM
WAHM Master

How many times has Obama and his wife opened their mouths and insulted average middle and low income families in this country? How many times have they implied we are bitter, stupid, uneducated, listen to the wrong stations, unable to form an opinion, etc. I have never seen someone so many times who is good with words use them in such stupid ways when he's talking about the people he wants to represent.

It's bad enough to think these things in private but to be so out of touch that you openly insult people and still expect them to vote for you is real arrogance.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Gale

Quote:
He supposedly made a comment on how he only buys American yet he owns foreign cars.
Not all foreign cars are manufactured overseas. Honda hasseveral large plants and facilities in Ohio and has been employing Americans there since 1982.
Both those companies contribute heavily in the areas where they are located.

For all intent purposes, if you're buying a vehicle made at one of those plants, you are supporting Americans workers.
No doubt about it.

But where they are made is, I believe, a bigger concern then simply how many cars he owns. And that is the context in which I first saw the article and what I was commenting on.

It's funny, the die hard environmentalist will say all these cars are proof he doesn't care about the environment, never once thinking about how he can only drive one at a time so the number of cars (other then resources used to make them) doesn't really mean much.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by questarthews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Gale

Quote:
He supposedly made a comment on how he only buys American yet he owns foreign cars.
Not all foreign cars are manufactured overseas. Honda hasseveral large plants and facilities in Ohio and has been employing Americans there since 1982.

Both those companies contribute heavily in the areas where they are located.

For all intent purposes, if you're buying a vehicle made at one of those plants, you are supporting Americans workers.
No doubt about it.

But where they are made is, I believe, a bigger concern then simply how many cars he owns. And that is the context in which I first saw the article and what I was commenting on.

It's funny, the die hard environmentalist will say all these cars are proof he doesn't care about the environment, never once thinking about how he can only drive one at a time so the number of cars (other then resources used to make them) doesn't really mean much.

As a rather die hard environmentalist I would never say that. We really aren't so stupid that we don't recognize that one person can only drive one car at a time. Rather it is about the pollution created when the cars were made, although those cars would have been made if McCain bought them or not.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 AM

You may not say it, but I have seen similar (about various candidates) in the comments of a variety of forums and websites over the past year.

My point is that people are going to use the number of cars he has to validate their reasons not to vote for him in a variety of ways. The "in touch with middle class America" is just one of them.

For me, the issue would be if he is buying foreign made cars while preaching buy American. In my post I did not say he was doing that. I said that is the context in which I saw the article initially.

I went on to say they are losing me by saying one thing and living another. That goes for both candidates.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 AM
WAHM Fanatic

This is a dead horse, why do some people keep beating it..enough already!

Using this as a reason to believe that McCain is out of touch with the public is really an ignorant statement.

He married money, they have a nice lifestyle. People need to quit hatin' on them because of it. Envy and jealousy is U-G-L-Y.

I have seen people who are out of touch with their own lives and finances on both sides of the fence.

My kids have brought home more kids that live in neighborhoods I didn't feel comfortable driving through, and whose parents drove cars that looked to be held together by a hanger, some duct tape and a prayer than I can remember. Yet, they had a stereo system that took up the better part of their living room. Or the mother was buying herself $300 pocket books..WTH? Yet, the kids were on the FREE LUNCH program.

I don't care how many cars Mc Cain has, I want to know how he stands on issues that are important to me and my family.

And please, don't allude that O'Bama is a man in touch with the common folk. He is whatever he NEEDS FOR YOU TO BELIEVE to get in office. This guy doesn't know the "plain folk" life, don't kid yourself..