Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 PM
WAHM Master

I'm sure most of you have probably seen this by now. Sarah Palin's 17-year-old daughter is five months pregnant. I know things happen in families. Everybody's family has some problem.

The thing that bothers me about this is that Palin was warned by McCain's camp that the press would be all over her family and any problems they might have. Why, as a mother, would you subject your daughter to the scrutiny of the entire nation? I would have turned the VP running mate spot down.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
WAHM Addict

Personally I feel she is handling it well and is an example to us all. But I do agree that it is a lot of pressure.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Awesome WAHM

Maybe Palin feels that her family is just going through what 10's of thousands of other families go through each year. I think its more important how they handle it as a family and not the fact that it happened.

It is not up to me to judge what is happening in their family. Jenna and Barbara Bush came under a lot of scrutiny for things they did (like drinking) and the Bush's handled it.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Awesome WAHM

I was quite shocked after reading this information today. I would always do what is best for my family and I would have kept them out of the spotlight during this trying time. Remember family comes before work, no matter what the work is.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:34 PM
WAHM Master

Or maybe she talked it over with her family and they said 'go for it mom.' 17 is almost an adult, the girl is old enough to have had some input into the situation. And maybe if the Democrats hadn't felt the need to be totally reprhensible in their attacks on Palin and Trig, an innocent baby, this news wouldn't have needed to be put out there.

Frankly I think this makes her even more likable. A typical American mom.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I was reading the rumors yesterday about Trig actually being Bristol's son. And I was like...wow. Either you're covering up your daughter's pregnancy or you made some really scary decisions about the birth of your special needs child. Which one is worse?
Now we know the truth.
I hope that the media doesn't make Bristol's life any harder.

Love,
Shannon

Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Awesome WAHM

I am not talking about anyone in particular, but it seems as though when this has happened to other people/stars they were ridiculed or at the least people took the matter quite seriously. I am not getting the same vibe here. This is a serious situation and I can imagine how I would feel if I was facing the same circumstance, God forbid. I don't think she needs to be ridiculed but this is serious and not to be taken lightly.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Or maybe she talked it over with her family and they said 'go for it mom.' 17 is almost an adult, the girl is old enough to have had some input into the situation. And maybe if the Democrats hadn't felt the need to be totally reprhensible in their attacks on Palin and Trig, an innocent baby, this news wouldn't have needed to be put out there.

Frankly I think this makes her even more likable. A typical American mom.
I agree. and with the post above that said it is not so much what happens but how you handle it that matters.

If Sen Obama's daughters become preggers...we might not ever know. He has made it clear that he does not want his daughter "burdened with a baby." Direct quote.

I pray that if one of my daughters became pregnant I would handle the situation with grace and love and open arms. Not like my grandparents who sent my mom off to a big city to avoid the shame) to give birth to me and give me up for adoption. Or like my mom did. Recommend an abortion. Something that I live with regrettably now all these years later.

I applaud the Palin family for seemingly taking the issue on and not sweeping it under the rug. They could have had only 3 of their 5 children there for the announcement speech but the did not do that. They had her there for all the people to see.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowprices
I was quite shocked after reading this information today. I would always do what is best for my family and I would have kept them out of the spotlight during this trying time. Remember family comes before work, no matter what the work is.
Shocked? In this day and age? Women no longer have to hide from teenage pregnancies or having children out of wedlock. Treating them as such is like pushing for an abortion; hide it, run from public ridicule. She should be commended for carrying out the pregnancy and her mother deserves a lot of credit for supporting her decision!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Awesome WAHM

Oh my I really can't believe what I am reading. You know what, if you are okay with teenage pregnancy then so be it. I am not. I don't think one should be ridiculed I just see the seriousness in this situation and I don't take it lightly. If others do then that is there business and that is how they would handle the situation. It is different for me.

Closed Thread